USF CoM 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OceanMachine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Didn't see any thread for USF as of yet so this is an open invite to all those accepted and starting this upcoming Aug 9th :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I will most likely be attending USF in the fall, and am so excited! How do you know what day we start on?? Thanks! Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Nevermind, just read my acceptance letter!

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's ur name and where r u from in FL (UF I'm guessing?)

Yup, I'm a senior at UF right now. I am actually from St. Pete. And my name is Kaitlin.
What about you?

My name is Travis and I'm a UCF Knight :cool: haha

Originally from NY but more recently, besides Orlando of course, Weston, FL.

I can't believe this is actually happening-years of wishful thinking...and it's HERE, you know? It's almost surreal. This last semester is already flying by for me as well.

I'm surprised more ppl haven't responded to his thread though o_O

Last edited:
Ya, I totally understand what you mean! I find myself thinking back over my applications or whatnot, and then just laugh cause it doesn't even matter anymore! No more stressing, or second guessing or whatnot!

I'm pretty excited for this last semester! And for second look in April and to keep getting more information about school!

And more people in here!

Travis, I am here and reporting for duty!! STILL waiting to re-receive my lost acceptance letter!! :boom:

haha about time Nerissa. And Kaitlin I think the stress is only beginning...:laugh:

Ya, Travis, I believe you are correct. But for the next few months, I'm going to enjoy the bliss!

Welcome Nerissa, hooray for more people!

So what are your majors?

We're both Microbiology and Molecular Biology majors (we know eachother hehe)

you?

Nice, I am a microbiology and cell science major, minor in nutrition.

I don't know anyone yet that has been accepted, but I'm sure others from UF have. I am interested to see who else from my interview day got accepted.

I cannot wait to move to Tampa in May. I found an awesome one bedroom apartment 10 min from campus :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha awesome! Where is your apartment going to be? And I was just wondering if it was too soon to be looking at apartments! I'm going to try and check some places out over spring break, and i'll be in st. pete all summer, so close enough!

It's in an apartment complex (I forget the name at the moment) the first exit off of the highway 5 min from the school. It's definitely not too early to be looking for an apartment! I must warn you there aren't many options available (at least not for a descent pricing). I got really lucky with mine.

Oh cool! Well let me know if you remember the name, and I'll add it to the list I will look at. Ya, i don't know much about the housing situation in tampa, but I'm just looking at the housing guide they put out last year as a starting point!

Hi! I was acepted to USF and it is at the top of my list right now. I am from around Weston, too (Cooper City, actually).

Congrats on your acceptance to your preferred school! :thumbup:
What is your name and what college are you from?

Congrats! And yay for more people! Is it april (second look) yet!?!?

Congratz to you all on USF COM! I'm a first year here at USF COM so if you have any questions feel fee to ask...ANY excuse to not study is a good one :rolleyes:

Congratz to you all on USF COM! I'm a first year here at USF COM so if you have any questions feel fee to ask...ANY excuse to not study is a good one :rolleyes:

Well I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity and ask the most broad question I possibly can: what is the first year of medical school at USF like (as far as curriculum speed, course schedule, off-campus housing, teaching staff, etc etc)? This question should definitely give you a valid reason to take like a one hour reflective break from studying :p

Thanks so much!

Oh! Excited to read your response! Thanks in advance!

Well I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity and ask the most broad question I possibly can: what is the first year of medical school at USF like (as far as curriculum speed, course schedule, off-campus housing, teaching staff, etc etc)? This question should definitely give you a valid reason to take like a one hour reflective break from studying :p

Thanks so much!

Yea I remember wondering the same thing before I started so I'll try to give you a rough idea. The year starts out with a 2 week orientation called Professions of Medicine that most people find rather boring because its 8-5 for two weeks of listening to people talk... no test on it though and a lot of free lunches. After that 2 weeks POM class you start Molecular Medicine which lasts 10 weeks and is made up of 3 exams and a final in early November. This class is mostly biochemisty with some cell biology, genetics, and histology thrown in for completeness. Most of the days during this 10 weeks you will be in lecture for around 15 hours a week...sometimes more or less depending on how close to exam time you are. There are also classes called On Doctoring and Physical Diagnosis that you are in during Molecular Medicine but which ru the entire year. These classes take up very little time and you will probably find them as annoying side tasks to studying the meat of medical school which is Anatomy, Neuroscience, Biochem, etc. Molecular Medicine is pretty nice really you are not at full speed and they are still trying to easy you into med school. Its a lot faster than undergrad and you can expect about 600-700 powerpoint slides per test. You will find that most people at least find the books useless I never used them and was fine just with lectures(powerpoints) Enjoy MoleMed because after that when anatomy, neuroscience, physiology, and behavioral medicine start you will be in class 8-5 every day other than 2 afternoons per week which you will have free. As you can imagine there are many long nights being in class this much and if you like the average medical student you will have to learn how to get by on 6 hours of sleep after molecular medicine is over. Obviously if you are very gifted in anatomy and neuroscience you will have an easier time with things but in general that is the life of the average medical student. Long days 7 days a week and having to cut out sleep quite often. There are good weeks though like the week after the tests where you can get caught up on sleep and go hang out some at night and you will spend the majority of your time looking forward to the few days after test where you can stop doing homework at 7pm and go hang out and do something anything else. The best way I could compare medical school to undergrad is we study 90% of the days we are here like final exams are two days away. Its worth it because you will notice that you learn soooo much on the rate of 1 week of medical school is about 4-6 weeks of undergrad in terms of volume of information. I've made so many great friends in medical school and I would say use your first few weeks to focus on making friends with your class buddies because you are going to need their help to get through school and plus it makes it much more enjoyable to go through with friends.

Teachers are great here there are a few that aren't as good but most are wonderful. Most people live in new tampa/tampa palms for the 1st two years then move down to south tampa for 3rd-4th year to be close to TGH. Don't live close to undergrads if you plan to study at home.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks so much for this detailed response! The schedule time-wise actually doesn't sound as menacing as I imagined. The first 12 weeks seem like they are totally different from other medical schools which is interesting.

How did you adjust to the new volume of material you had to study? Any advice? And what's your name by the way? Thanks!

Count me in :)

Vignesh Doraiswamy
Biology/religious studies
Florida International University

Davie/Weston (like a few more of us I see)

Aug 9th!!

Wow, thanks alanine! There is a lot of great info in there! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response!!

And welcome Vignesh! Hurray for more people!

post_old.gif
Today, 02:04 PM #3

49ers

ui_twoyear.gif

icon1.gif

I'm a first year at USF. I got accepted to UM for med school as well and attended UF for undergrad.

USF is really laid back. All of my classmates are pretty cool and we all get along great. Lectures are not 5-8 hours a day. Some days we have 8 hours of lecture and other days we have no class. We have four hospitals pretty much "on campus" (VA, University Community Hospital, Shriner's, and Moffitt). TGH is a little farther south about 15 minutes and is a better Level 1 Trauma center than Shands&UF, ORMC, Broward General, and Jackson Memorial from my experiences at all of them.

For those students that complain of "1 hour commutes," that is rare. For the first year, we are assigned a preceptor in the Tampa area to follow around 18 weeks between November and April (4 hours each time). Mine is close to school so it's not that much different than going to class. Some have St. Pete and as far out as Lakeland (they car pool together to get to the same clinic). In second year, you have two locations (one for each semester). Out of these three, at least one has to be a long commute. I don't go to class after my clinical experience and go back home...a few times I've had mandatory stuff right after (anatomy lab).

Here's our calendar if you're curious: http://hsc.usf.edu/NR/rdonlyres/1B63...orOEA12110.xls

Ignore the DPT stuff in red as that is for Physical Therapy students and for "LCE" you can ignore 2 out of the 3 per week (it's not 12 hours per week, just 4 and you pick which four hour block you want it in). The "PD assessment" is the possible times you can be assigned to physical diagnosis simulated patient. Again, you will not attend all those times and just 2 hours within the week they have those listed. Also, you will only be doing 1/2 of the anatomy dissections in the labs you seen in the file. The class is split into group A and group B to work on 30 bodies. There are about 2 MD students per group so you will be working alongside 1 other classmate (maybe 2 other) for two sessions in a row. Then the next group does the following two labs. I think it works out each group doing 18 labs during the year (November to May) with them being 2 hours a piece.

If you're wondering why I picked USF, I liked the fact I could walk 500 ft in either direction to use four hospitals with different objectives (cancer, veterans, childrens, and community). TGH is also more impressive than any level 1 trauma center I've been to in FL. Only other hospital I've been too that I think is better is Shock Trauma in Baltimore, but that is a different story and something that is well known in the US (at least east coast). Also, USF offers more residency programs I believe than the others (emergency medicine at least over UM).

Feel free to ask anymore questions. About 1/5 of our class went to UF as undergrad and we all love going to USF. We have an exam on Monday so I got to study! Good luck! :thumbup:

Edit: as far as lectures, I watch them online at 2x speed so I have a lot of free time. :)

thought i'd share that information post from another USF M1 I saw on another thread!

So this whole I'm accepted to my first choice and can't wait till august feeling doesn't bode well for studying for my immunology test tomorrow...ugh!

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I noticed there were a few more acceptances over in the USF app thread, hopefully they pop over and say hey!

So this whole I'm accepted to my first choice and can't wait till august feeling doesn't bode well for studying for my immunology test tomorrow...ugh!

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I noticed there were a few more acceptances over in the USF app thread, hopefully they pop over and say hey!

Hey I have a molecular immunology test in the morning also! haha

I agree. I can't study anything right now. How bad would it be if I got straight B's this semester?

I agree. I can't study anything right now. How bad would it be if I got straight B's this semester?

Not bad at all. I will admit to getting straight C's once I got my acceptance :D Although keeping the B/B+ would probably be better....

anyone moving to Tampa a few months prior to starting? I am and I was just curious.

I doubt I will be moving to Tampa officially until August, but I will be just across the bridge in St. Pete all summer, so close enough?

I'm hoping to move to Tampa a month before school starts to get settled and find my way around. I am married so I am hoping to buy a house, and I am a definite nester, so I won't feel settled until my house feels like a home :)

Hi guys!
So excited to be a part of USF COM class of 2014!! I am starting to look at the housing options in Tampa. I am looking for a female roommate and was wondering if anyone is interested in that. I am still looking at apartments. Please let me know ASAP if you are interested!

Hey Gatorgal,
I might also be looking for a roommate for the fall. I was hoping to look at some apartments over my spring break, and meet a potential roommate at second look!

Have you look at any apartments yet/have an idea where you want to live?

Also, I'm assuming you go the UF too, but what's your major, where are you from? Just curious:)

Hi Gator13Doc!
I graduated from UF already with a microbiology major. I am still looking at all the places right now in general. But if I can find a roommate already then I can look at something we both like and that will be much better. Have you looked at any places yet?

Congrats on getting into USF!
I was wondering if any of yall were in the UCF/USF accelerated program

Hi Gator13Doc!
I graduated from UF already with a microbiology major. I am still looking at all the places right now in general. But if I can find a roommate already then I can look at something we both like and that will be much better. Have you looked at any places yet?

Oh cool, I'm a senior microbio major at the moment:) I have looked at some places online from the housing guide posted last year, but not all of them have websites. I was planning to go check some places out over spring break. Ya, I was hoping to meet a roommate either from online or through second look. I asked in the FB group where people recommend (cause there is a lot of C/02013 members) so hopefully some people recommend good places!

And sorry for taking so long to respond, I was plagued with food poisoning ugh:(

Congrats to the class of 2014!!!

I am a 1st year med now and I just wanted to say that I love it here!
Please let me know if you guys have any questions!

Congrats again! looking forward to working with everyone!

Gatordoc!

Sorry for my really late reply. But yes what you said is what I wanted to do as well. So it would be nice if we can PM each other email id's or somehow get in touch. Then we can make a trip to tampa and see what we like and if we want to be roomies!!! When is your spring break? and when do you plan on visiting tampa?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew if USF has mandatory attendance or an attendance policy of some sort.

Thanks!

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew if USF has mandatory attendance or an attendance policy of some sort.

Thanks!

In year 1 and 2, there are specific sessions that are mandatory, and On Doctoring, LCE, and PD are always mandatory.

Year 3 and 4 are all mandatory.

Congrats to everyone who got into USFCOM! I just got accepted last week and know how ecstatic you all are :D :) I think Dr. Brooks mentioned something about a second look of the school (I was too excited to catch everything he was saying haha). Has anyone else heard of this and if so, are you going?

Congrats to everyone who got into USFCOM! I just got accepted last week and know how ecstatic you all are :D :) I think Dr. Brooks mentioned something about a second look of the school (I was too excited to catch everything he was saying haha). Has anyone else heard of this and if so, are you going?

You'll be getting an invitation soon. It's in April.