Technology Using an IPAD on rounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is using it for daily rounds, and if so, what kind of case did you purchase. Is it worthwhile getting a case with the bluetooth keyboard combo? Anyone have any first hand experience?

My program uses EMR, and I wanted to get a combo case/keyboard as I don't think I am quick enough using the touch screen keyboard.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been using on rounds, typing on one now btw. So far it sucks for actually accessing the EMR, looking up info, and entering orders. Im on Epic, the cantos app sucks, and so does the Citrix receiver. Too slow and laggy, you have to log in 2-3 times to even access data, and without pristine wifi access it drops off. Our hospital wifi is awful. Also, dragon and the like offload all the speech processing to off server, and it's slow as hell. It won't pull up PACs images either...

Where it shines is information storage for access of texts, notes, the like. I've got the green book, acls cards, pharmacopeias, scanned copies of text books like Harrison's. My coat is near empty now.

What it really needs to replace a desktop... Fluidity like safari, a better UI, and a seamless dictation integration. Hardware is there, but the software not so much.

Btw, rather than a keyboard case, I place it in a clear clipboard case that opens up so I can keep my notes and other papers on it. Also, I've seen some people with MacBook airs on rounds, and those seem much better but not perfect.

Yeah, we are using Cerna instead of EPIC. And I've seen some (3 residents) use a MacBook instead of the ipad.

BTW are you using the New Ipad aka 3rd gen?