Using Latin language in precriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Russian_student

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a student of the Novosibirsk Medical University (in Russia). I am doing a small research of using Latin in prescriptions in USA. Please, tell me, what language is using in prescriptions and show me any documents which confirm rules of filling prescriptions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I'm a student of the Novosibirsk Medical University (in Russia). I am doing a small research of using Latin in prescriptions in USA. Please, tell me, what language is using in prescriptions and show me any documents which confirm rules of filling prescriptions. Thank you.
Traditionally, prescription directions for use are written using Latin abbreviations see table here. However, because of computer generated prescriptions, that is used less frequently. Rules for prescription filling are different in each state, and none where I'm licensed dictate the language a prescriber must use. Did you have specific questions about rules?

Reactions: 1 user
The ISMP does have some guidelines on abbreviations used for prescriptions/drug orders. That'd be the closest thing to "rules". Nothing enforces their use/non-use except company policy.