Using Old EPPP Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope637

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if using old EPPP materials is sufficient (e.g., 2011) or would I need to purchase new study materials? Any insight or knowledge regarding this would be helpful!
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no need to buy new if you have study materials that are that recent. I used materials that were about 4-5 years old and passed the EPPP by a generous margin.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your input~
Since the material is old, do I need to get extra materials since the EPPP now is based on DSM 5?

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed it this week by over 30 points using 2004 & 2006 practice exams, second hand CD set, and a current study guide put out by an individual not affiliated with a company. I had familiarity with DSM 5 through teaching undergrad psych classes as well as simply going through youtube clips and the DSM itself. I previously had invested (almost 2k!!) in an online program, followed it exactly as directed, and failed the test. I will tell you why. The practice tests from that company were in no way reflective of the actual EPPP. They were much easier and contained more definitional items as opposed to applying concepts. Using the old practice exams (no idea who made them- maybe AATBS or Academic Review), and taking the PEPPO - I knew I could pass the EPPP. My practice test scores (all 14 of them!) averaged out to 74% and my PEPPO score was 10 points lower than my actual EPPP score. That was the long answer. The concise answer: if you have 2011 materials you should be fine. In my opinion, the most valuable study tool for me was taking practice exams and an inexpensive online app.

I used 8 year old hand-me-down materials and had no problem. Just be aware of the new DSM stuff and any changes in prevalence rates.

Thank you, CheetahGirl! I took the advice of many previous posts and focused the majority of my time on practice tests. That seemed to be the key to my studying that I had not had the first time around. I could blame several external stressors and commitments that I had no control over, and which interfered significantly with my studying prior to the first attempt; however, I honestly believe I could have passed the first time had I known that my time wasn't being used efficiently.

Reactions: 1 users
The DSM-V stuff should be sufficiently covered if you read a few articles on the major changes. The vast majority of the info didn't change w the DSM update, so no sense buying all new materials for 5% or less of a change.