USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

Any more info out there about USMLE world correlation with COMLEX?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ice-1 said:
Any more info out there about USMLE world correlation with COMLEX?

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. Not sure if it's high-yield for COMLEX, just wanted to know what others thought when they got their scores back.

I was getting about 50% when I first started. After doing about 1400 questions, I got into the 60s. It was pretty depressing, but I guess it worked. I studied 3 weeks while on the interview trail...about 3-4 hours a day. I also read Boards and Wards.

Step 2: 261, Step 1: 252.

I agree that studying hard for your shelf exams is the best prep, but USMLE World is good at crunch time.

Step 1 257/99
UW: 72.9% (did all questions, only once through, read most answers, but not all especially near end)
Step 2 CK: 259/99

gl to all waiting to cross this last hurdle

Wow dr bond, thats a really awsome score. Being as how you're so interested in GI, do you feel that it was stressed very much on the exam?? Is that how u did so well??
Would you have done better if u werent chronically constipated??

USMLEWorld = 60%
USMLE Step 2 = 224

Was a bit disappointed with my score. I didn't do all of the problems on USMLEWorld - maybe I should have.

62 or so....aboyut 500qs

step 2 257/99 step 1 249

ok, i know for step 1, many say (Kaplan people included) 55% on qBank and you pass step 1. i know people say UW for step 2 is hard. anyone know of people doing UW and scoring around 50% that passed step 2?

much thanks

On USMLEWorld I got high 40's at first, then up to 60s and 70s, but the total average was ~58%. I did them in blocks, so it would help me process the patterns/differences better: Cardio/GU first, then Peds/Poison/GI, etc... Then, I went back through and did a few sets from the incorrect ones.

Also read Secrets. Overall, 3-4 weeks of studying.

Step 2: 235/95
Step 1: 195/80

NBME 1: 180 in November
NBME 2: 229 a week before the test

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding another data point.

USMLEWorld: Did about 1100 questions over ~3 weeks, with the majority concentrated in the last week. I always did random, unused question blocks. . I think I ended up with 59.x %.

Step 2: 232/94
(Step 1: 235/95)

I'm disappointed that it's lower than Step 1, but I'm satisfied that it is about the same since I feel like I barely studied at all for Step 2. I had a newborn baby and residency interview travels mixed in, so I guess I should be pretty happy with the result!

Time said:
Thanks, adeelmd.

Any other opinions? What step2 material (if any) is beneficial in pushing the three digit score for step 1 beyond the minimal equivalent of 99?

Thanks.

None. Stick with step 1 material. It is enough to remember. You dont need anything from step 2 to do better than 240.

I was obsessed with this thread while I was studying for Step2 (or procrastinating).

UW: 69% overall, straight through once. Started out in the low 60s; pulled it up to the low 70s by the end of the 30 days.

Step 2CK: 261/99

Had never heard of USMLEworld.com before reading this thread. Thought I'd go with it instead of Kaplan based on all of your reviews.

Did 1600 of the 2100 questions in 4 wks. Only other source was Boards and Wards, which I read through twice. On average I studied 30-35 hrs/wk. Was also coming off a year off from medical school where I did nothing medically related.

Started out with wildly fluctuating scores averaging out to the low 60s, all unused 46 question blocks. By the end I was averaging in low 70s but cumulative was 65%.

Received 261/99 on Step 2 CK. Was pleasantly surprised at how good USMLEworld was for prep. It felt better than Kaplan Qbank did for Step 1.

Hope this helps.

FarEastGrapplr2 said:
ok, i know for step 1, many say (Kaplan people included) 55% on qBank and you pass step 1. i know people say UW for step 2 is hard. anyone know of people doing UW and scoring around 50% that passed step 2?

much thanks

Haven't gotten my CK score back yet, so take this however you want to. Did 2000/2300 UWorld and my final average was around 52%. I marked about 500 questions which I deemed vital and reviewed them twice. Read through Crush four times and finished off with an NBME practice exam. Wound up with 470 (correlated to 210) and was fine with that (just have to pass at this point). The actual exam was a cakewalk compared to UW. Seriously, I kept thinking it can't be this easy (knock on wood) as opposed to reminding myself not to jump out of the 5th floor window during Step I. I'm obviously hoping my impression of the exam is on the mark, but we'll see come May 19th. Hope this helps.

step 1 219
world 60% all questions
nbme 1 530 (1 day before exam)
step 2 202 (ouch!), s/p match though (and I will never apply for another residency, fellowship maybe (not going into IM/peds/family/obgyn)).

Freaked and ran out of time on one of the blocks.
Will this come back to bite me in the arse one day?

And good luck to all of you who still have to take this 9 hour beast.

Back34 said:
Haven't gotten my CK score back yet, so take this however you want to. Did 2000/2300 UWorld and my final average was around 52%. I marked about 500 questions which I deemed vital and reviewed them twice. Read through Crush four times and finished off with an NBME practice exam. Wound up with 470 (correlated to 210) and was fine with that (just have to pass at this point). The actual exam was a cakewalk compared to UW. Seriously, I kept thinking it can't be this easy (knock on wood) as opposed to reminding myself not to jump out of the 5th floor window during Step I. I'm obviously hoping my impression of the exam is on the mark, but we'll see come May 19th. Hope this helps.

Got my score 3 weeks after the fact:

Step 1: 224
Step 2: 225

Hi,

I did USMLEworld and I just got my COMLEX scores back. My USMLEworld average in the end was 64%.

COMLEX step II: 616/90

Step I-198 Kaplan and self study
Step II-225 USMLEWORLD (all questions once - 59%, half ?s again - 74%) and Medicine Pretest (68%)

These crazy 250s people are nutz. How the hell do you get >250??? WOW

So I just got back from visiting our dear friend Step 2.......it didn't seem as cake-walkish as some people have described. I did the old UW (all Q's with an overall of 64%), B&W, and two NBME mini's (229/243) to prepare for this bad boy. I can't even think straight right now.......that motherF'er was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long........I don't feel too great about the exam to be honest. I sincerely belive I did a lot worse on this than the mini's, alot. The only reason I'm not jumping in front of a bus right now is the fact that I didn't feel to great about the mini's either but did aight.
Anyway, I'll be posting my score whenever I get it (if it's not too bad).

Did anyone else feel like this and do ok on the exam??? Please let me know before I convince myself I screwed up and look for the nearest Greyhound......... :(

Assman, fear not. I prepared similar to you and felt absolutely awful after the exam. Thought I might have failed the SOB. Really down for a few weeks, cuz i kept thinking about stupid mistakes i had made and such. Score came back at 236. I was totally shocked. You sound like you felt about the same way as me. I was like how could people say this thing is a cakewalk. I thought the thing was really hard.

cattail said:
Assman, fear not. I prepared similar to you and felt absolutely awful after the exam. Thought I might have failed the SOB. Really down for a few weeks, cuz i kept thinking about stupid mistakes i had made and such. Score came back at 236. I was totally shocked. You sound like you felt about the same way as me. I was like how could people say this thing is a cakewalk. I thought the thing was really hard.

That was great to read, thank you cattail. I feel better about it since I spoke to a few classmates and heard some promising things. Hope it works out. It's tough feeling good before taking it then coming out thinking you'll be back in a few months again.

Best wishes to anyone who takes this thing on. Just keep pushing. :thumbup:

kbrown said:
These crazy 250s people are nutz. How the hell do you get >250??? WOW

Unless SDN is not a cross section but rather a sample that is skewed to the upper end of test takers, or unless more people who do better report their scores than those who don't, it's unlikely that everyone is telling the truth.

You can be anyone you want to be on the internet.

Ah, Assman...I hear you loud and clear. I took that bad boy on 5/23 and walked out thinking that the old saying "2 months for Step 1, 2 weeks for Step 2, and a #2 pencil for Step 3" is a crock of ****. I thought the level of detail on many of the questions was similar to the level of detail in the UW questions and a few times I questioned whether they had accidentally deployed Step 1 for me instead.

I took 2 weeks off to study full time 8 hrs/day. Read Crush the Boards, did many (1402 to be exact) of the Usmleworld questions with an average of 57%, did 1 NBME practice test (490; predicted score 215) after studying for 1 week, got an 83% on the Usmle.org/Fred CD practice exam.

All I can say is I also walked out of Step 1 thinking I had gotten the wind knocked out of me and doubting I had passed, but not knwing how I would have studied differently, and ended up with a 230 on that one. Am sincerely hoping that the same bad feeling is incorrect on this test...but felt like I secondguessed all my answers. Will post my score for Step 2 CK in July (won't have my mail for all of June b/c on vacation :D )

Best of luck to everyone who's taking it soon. Wish I had advise for you guys but quite frankly don't know what I would have done differently except maybe use FA for Step 1 to review more detail, and maybe do the rest of the UW practice questions?

Would love to hear how others felt after they took it! :scared:

Wrote my step 2 yesterday , was horrible worse than usmle world, just hoping that this turn out to be a fear only and not reality, will post my score when I get those

From what I can tell, FA for Step 2 is very similar to FA for step 1 (with a few more clinical tidbits thrown in) and I have heard that this is actually a better resource for how the test is written now than Crush or Secrets, due to the level of detail and Step 1-ishness. May have been a time when Crush and Secrets were all you need, but those question writers are bastards and the tide appears to be changing...

AssMan said:
So I just got back from visiting our dear friend Step 2.......it didn't seem as cake-walkish as some people have described. I did the old UW (all Q's with an overall of 64%), B&W, and two NBME mini's (229/243) to prepare for this bad boy. I can't even think straight right now.......that motherF'er was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long........I don't feel too great about the exam to be honest. I sincerely belive I did a lot worse on this than the mini's, alot. The only reason I'm not jumping in front of a bus right now is the fact that I didn't feel to great about the mini's either but did aight.
Anyway, I'll be posting my score whenever I get it (if it's not too bad).

Did anyone else feel like this and do ok on the exam??? Please let me know before I convince myself I screwed up and look for the nearest Greyhound......... :(

Here's a little follow up from a previous post. I just got a call from school with my score: 235/95

That test was ROUGH but it all worked out in the end. I'd probably not waste time with Crush/Secrets if I did it again. It's just too watered down. Kinda mad at the time I put into it. I did B&W and I liked it. I'd probably throw in FA as well. Everytime I flipped through FA, I'd see something I missed on UW. SO, I'd do FA, B&W and UW if I had to do it again. As always, those mini-NBME exams are pretty accurate (mini's were 229/243 and real score was 235).

Good luck to all taking it. :thumbup:

AssMan said:
Here's a little follow up from a previous post. I just got a call from school with my score: 235/95

That test was ROUGH but it all worked out in the end. I'd probably not waste time with Crush/Secrets if I did it again. It's just too watered down. Kinda mad at the time I put into it. I did B&W and I liked it. I'd probably throw in FA as well. Everytime I flipped through FA, I'd see something I missed on UW. SO, I'd do FA, B&W and UW if I had to do it again. As always, those mini-NBME exams are pretty accurate (mini's were 229/243 and real score was 235).

Good luck to all taking it. :thumbup:

How long, on average, has it taken you guys to get your score reports? I saw one post with 3 weeks - is this accurate?

Where do you think one should be scoring to comfortably be in the passing range? I've only done about 235 questions, but my average is only 45% thus far. I have another 7 weeks until my exam, but I was wondering what people thought was the "comfort level," at least with regards to passing? Is it around 50%? These questions are HARD! Thanks!

SurgeryChef said:
How long, on average, has it taken you guys to get your score reports? I saw one post with 3 weeks - is this accurate?

I took the exam May 18th and my school called me with my results June 7th. About 20 days later. Dey fass cuz, dey fass.

usmleworld: did 50% of questions and averaged 60%
step II: 249

I think usmleworld is the best learning resource. Many questions are way obscure though. In the beginning I was struggling b/c I took it towards the end of my 4th year and I had forgotten everything. I think rather than using usmleworld as a gauge, its a solid learning tool for brushing up on old topics long forgotten. I scribbled lots of random notes down from the answer explanations to review the nitty gritty details of diseases I had forgotten. I did about 150 questions per day (not super diligent), and I started using tutor mode anyways b/c its more efficient for learning facts.

One other piece of advice I'd like to offer is that the study time totally depends on your goals and how long ago you did your cores (esp medicine). I think most ppl saying 2 wks is enough just want to get the mean, whereas studying 4wks will allow you to do much better. If you take it right after your cores, its gonna be much easier, vs end of 4th yr.

manning18 said:
Where do you think one should be scoring to comfortably be in the passing range? I've only done about 235 questions, but my average is only 45% thus far. I have another 7 weeks until my exam, but I was wondering what people thought was the "comfort level," at least with regards to passing? Is it around 50%? These questions are HARD! Thanks!
I did UW Qbank a yr ago, about 1650 Qs, w/ an overall avg of 50%...I ended up w/ a 179 on the exam...so apparently 50% was not safe...this time, repeating UW, so far 460 Qs, I have an avg of 64%, which I think should be good enough if I can sustain it through all 2092 Qs...seems like it's going to take forever though; hopefully I will resist taking the exam until I've completed them all. So, in closing, you should aim for 60%, + or -. Best wishes to the both of us =)

Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear about the 179! I was a bit reluctant to believe that 50% on UW put one into the "safe" zone, at least with regards to passing. Of course, there is major variability and no hard and fast rule, so it's quite likely that there are plenty of people who averaged around 50% on UW and passed, maybe even broke 200. I am trying to at least get up to 55%, which should be a bit safer, so to speak. I've identified the sections that are really costing me a lot of points (because i. I score a low percentage and ii. they have been tested frequently) and am starting to read the corresponding sections from First Aid carefully. I targeted OB, GYNE, Peds, Psych, Cardiology and GI. Someone here recommended Endocrine as well. If I can substantially improve my knowledge of those 7 fields, I am confident I can pass and, hopefully, break 200 as well! My plan is to focus my reading on those 7 sections (maybe 1-2 others as well) and learn the rest from UW. What do people think of this plan. Thanks!

anymore COMLEX scores with UW correlation are much appreciated
:)

I don't recall seeing a conversion factor between USMLEworld and Comlex. The conversion between USMLWworld and USMLE, Step 2-CK is as follows:

Step 2-CK score = 2.3(UW average) + 84

manning18 said:
I don't recall seeing a conversion factor between USMLEworld and Comlex. The conversion between USMLWworld and USMLE, Step 2-CK is as follows:

Step 2-CK score = 2.3(UW average) + 84

heh, thats an interesting equation, where did you get that?

I found this conversion from the UW website at usmleworld.com
I, initially, found it somewhere in the Step 2-CK discussion section, which is huge! At that time, I neglected to write it down and, when I tried to dig it up again, I could not do so. Through some creative googling, I was able to find it again and now have it saved (and memorized as well!)
I think it's a bit optimistic, by maybe 5-10% or so. It only predicts 43% on UW to pass. While UW is tough, I'm not sure it's that tough!

manning18 said:
I found this conversion from the UW website at usmleworld.com
I, initially, found it somewhere in the Step 2-CK discussion section, which is huge! At that time, I neglected to write it down and, when I tried to dig it up again, I could not do so. Through some creative googling, I was able to find it again and now have it saved (and memorized as well!)
I think it's a bit optimistic, by maybe 5-10% or so. It only predicts 43% on UW to pass. While UW is tough, I'm not sure it's that tough!

haha, nice
i suppose the same can be applied to comlex, 2.3(UW %) + 302 :p :D (not really working the same way)
i guess that equation makes things just a little bit reassuring...

coming from a 220 step 1'er (didn't really study like i should have) who kind of late in the game decided i wanted to go into something pretty competitive (ortho) and had to do well on step 2 ....

1 month of studying total (studied while on a research rotation, so about 5 hrs studying/day.) first 2 weeks were books/review w/resources: Boards and Wards (used throughout 3rd yr) and First Aid only. remaining 2 weeks before the test was all USMLEworld. did about 90% of the questions. started out high 50%s-mid 60%s. by the end of the 2 weeks i was consistently in the mid-70s with some mid/high 80s and high 60%s throw in. took notes from the "educational objectives" at the end of the explainations and would just browse through those every couple of days for key point memorization.

sum up:
average usmleworld was probably low 70s.
score 245/99

i am extremely pleased, as i jumped 25 points from step 1. usmle world worked great for me.

EDIT: i took this on june 1st and got my scores june 25th.

Usmle step1 261
usmle step 2 257
Usmle world 72% Did half of questions

NBME scoring 245 on both.
USMLE WORLD Average score 66%, I only went through it once and I didn't repeat questions.
Step I 222/90
Step II 251/99 :)

Through clinical years I read all the blueprint series, when it came time to study for stepII, I just used kaplan books and referenced blueprint series.

I started to do kaplan qbank online, but the questions seemed easy and I switched to USMLEWORLD, Very good choice!!!!!

I could always score high on kaplan qbank, but usmle world was hard to score high. So USMLEWORLD is harder, which was good because when I sat for Step II, I found the questions to be way easier.

Hope this helps.

Just to put these all in perspective, is the avg for step 2 around 218 like step 1?

I understand the average is higher on step2, like a 222 or something

Am back from out of town and wanted to update with my score: 251/99 :D :D :D :D :D Am very happy!
I took that bad boy on 5/23 and walked out thinking that the old saying "2 months for Step 1, 2 weeks for Step 2, and a #2 pencil for Step 3" is a crock of ****. I thought the level of detail on many of the questions was similar to the level of detail in the UW questions and a few times I questioned whether they had accidentally deployed Step 1 for me instead.

I took 2 weeks off to study full time 8 hrs/day. Read Crush the Boards, did many (1402 to be exact) of the Usmleworld questions with an average of 57%, did 1 NBME practice test (490; predicted score 215) after studying for 1 week, got an 83% on the Usmle.org/Fred CD practice exam.

I also walked out of Step 1 thinking I had gotten the wind knocked out of me and doubting I had passed, but not knwing how I would have studied differently, and ended up with a 230 on that one.

Best of luck to everyone who's taking it soon :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: My best advice is: Carve out 2 weeks to study full time (8 hrs/day), and USMLEWORLD and Crush are all you need!