USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

4424 said:
anyway, i thought in terms of style of questions, qbook's medicine section was the closest. i did all of UW and thought it was a great resource to refresh my memory of the pathophys.
dynx said:
I think the questions on USMLE world are NOT AT ALL similar to the real deal. The USMLEworld question bank is a good source for learning material, it will give you a good fund of knowledge if you lack it and it covers the right material but in a different way than is presented on the test. If you want questions that will be similar in format, length and wording go for Kaplan Q book
Based upon the above two comments, is this the beginning of a trend away from UW being "MONEY" and "like the real deal" as 2 other posts had claimed, earlier on? It seems like all of the sudden the test-takers have stopped chanting UW UW UW. Was it just the style that was different or the content and difficulty as well? How about Qbook? Just the IM section?

UW is money for obtaining facts IMO. I couldn't find the collection of facts in any review book that I got from UW. Also very helpful to get some of the pharm and path questions that they throw at you. The question format is kind of shoddy, but content is great. As for QBook (I did Step 2 and 3 Qbook) the questions are more equivalent in length as the real thing with a lot more of the same info, but IMO they give you every bit of information in QBook, not throwing any curve balls or tricks at you.

So to sum it up: Qbook has longer questions than UW,but the questions are less tricky and more representtive of the usmle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Coastie said:
Hey Dudes,

It's all about the Usmleworld and Crush the Boards.

Crush x 2, UW x 1 (2200 ?'s)
3 weeks out NBME 1: 216
2 weeks out NBME 2: 248
2 days out NBME 3: 202
4 weeks total study

I don't recommend taking a practice test as close to test day as I did.

Step 1: 191 (Kaplan only, hardly any studying, rough family situation, newborn kids, parents dying)

Step 2: 234

43 point improvement! Stick to Crush and UW. I would do UW over again if I could, I think it would definitely improve things.

Stay away from Kaplan!

Oh, UW Avg? 58%, first time through.

Think this answers everything in a nice, neat format....

Avoid First Aid for step 2. Way too overcomplicated. Tried to read one chapter..Sucked. Go with Crush and UW. UW x 2, x 3, x 4. UW!

P.S. Came out not knowing how I did. Was even afraid I failed..

congrats ....that's a great boost in a score!

Man.....i took my exam two weeks ago, july 27th....anyone else who took the test around the same time know when we get scores back? probably next week right?

i'll post my score assuming i'm not embarassed of it...g'luck to everyone who's still trekking

ucb

Step 1: 248
USMLEWorld: 67% (did about 1/2 of it)
NMBE1 a week before the exam: 254
Step 2: 240

Guess I'm one of the few who went down from step 1. I actually felt a lot better walking out of step 2 than step 1, so I was a little disappointed with the score. If I had to do it again, I would have taken the time to finish UW--I think it was a very good resource. Also, I would have tried to build the endurance a little bit (i.e. take a few full-length practice exams). After about the 5th block, all I could think about was what I was going to do after I finished the exam.

Anyone who has taken the exam in the last week or so notice a gearing away from UW type Qs, as far as either content, style, or difficulty...or is UW still "MONEY" as previously proclaimed? Is Kaplan's QBOOK becoming more relevant? Thank you razorback831 for your comments earlier....anyone else???

Step 1: 234
Step 2: 259 Taken July 21.

1/2 of UW all timed random 46 q's; cumulative result: 66%
NBME1, 2 weeks before: 610/241
NBME2, 5 days before: 650/248
Read FA once and skimmed a second time
Read Secrets once and skimmed a second time
Did all questions in Qbook ~74% correct (this IS a good resource esp. for the money).

I think the key is reading this board twice a day for updates on this thread. :laugh:

rads0518 said:
Step 1: 214
Step 2: 259 Taken July 21.

1/2 of UW all timed random 46 q's; cumulative result: 66%
NBME1, 2 weeks before: 610/241
NBME2, 5 days before: 650/248
Read FA once and skimmed a second time
Read Secrets once and skimmed a second time
Did all questions in Qbook ~74% correct (this IS a good resource esp. for the money).

I think the key is reading this board twice a day for updates on this thread. :laugh:

how long did you study? hours, weeks, months, years...

goldengate said:
Anyone who has taken the exam in the last week or so notice a gearing away from UW type Qs, as far as either content, style, or difficulty...or is UW still "MONEY" as previously proclaimed? Is Kaplan's QBOOK becoming more relevant? Thank you razorback831 for your comments earlier....anyone else???

There are so many ways to skin this cat (sorry cat lovers). If you are trying to fine-tune your studying to the exact specifications of this rather unscientific poll of opinions, you are probably wasting your time.

Are you implying that you think the test is changing from week to week or month to month and that somehow you are could outsmart it by titrating your studying to specific amounts of Kaplan vs. UW? They might add some questions and retire some, but this should have no bearing on how you learn the material or the source you choose.

Also, there is a huge amount of bias and variability in what people remember and then report here after the exam. When I look back on it, I felt FA really helped me. Others say it's crap. Who do you believe?

Pick a resource from the ones often referenced here. Pick two, or three, whatever. Do a lot of questions. Read through and KNOW your one or two sources. Understand the "why" behind the disease and treatment.

The reality is that when you are in the hotseat, you are not recalling bits and pieces gleaned from one magical source, so use several of them to review. You use the critical thinking that you've developed over the last 3 years more than any particular resource. In that way, this exam is quite different from Step I, in which the minute facts were way more important. This test is mostly about how you think critically, and no set of questions or review book can give you that.

Best of luck.

USMLEWorld avg 68% after completing ~75%. Studied 2 1/2 weeks.
Read First Aid once
Sort of read Crush

Step 1: 244
Step 2: 245

I thought First Aid was MUCH better than Crush...if I had it to do over, I probably would have read First Aid twice and saved my money on Crush. Also I probably would have been more thorough about reading the explanations on USMLEWorld.

So its been about 1.5 weeks and my UW score hasnt improved. I started with 60%ish and I'm still getting 60%ish.

Whats the deal with that? Any advice? Should I spend more time reading?

Cowboy DO said:
how long did you study? hours, weeks, months, years...

4 weeks.
7 days a week.
4-5 hours a day. I can't study much more than an hour without taking a break.

Did well on 3rd year shelf exams, so you could say I studied for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cowboy DO said:
So its been about 1.5 weeks and my UW score hasnt improved. I started with 60%ish and I'm still getting 60%ish.

Whats the deal with that? Any advice? Should I spend more time reading?

Don't worry about it. It's only been 1.5 weeks. And if it never goes up you still have a great chance at a very decent score according to the anecdotal reports here.

sophiejane said:
There are so many ways to skin this cat (sorry cat lovers). If you are trying to fine-tune your studying to the exact specifications of this rather unscientific poll of opinions, you are probably wasting your time.

Are you implying that you think the test is changing from week to week or month to month and that somehow you are could outsmart it by titrating your studying to specific amounts of Kaplan vs. UW? They might add some questions and retire some, but this should have no bearing on how you learn the material or the source you choose.

Also, there is a huge amount of bias and variability in what people remember and then report here after the exam. When I look back on it, I felt FA really helped me. Others say it's crap. Who do you believe?

Pick a resource from the ones often referenced here. Pick two, or three, whatever. Do a lot of questions. Read through and KNOW your one or two sources. Understand the "why" behind the disease and treatment.

The reality is that when you are in the hotseat, you are not recalling bits and pieces gleaned from one magical source, so use several of them to review. You use the critical thinking that you've developed over the last 3 years more than any particular resource. In that way, this exam is quite different from Step I, in which the minute facts were way more important. This test is mostly about how you think critically, and no set of questions or review book can give you that.

Best of luck.

Amen, sister.

lizmid152 said:
USMLEWorld avg 68% after completing ~75%. Studied 2 1/2 weeks.
Read First Aid once
Sort of read Crush

Step 1: 244
Step 2: 245

I thought First Aid was MUCH better than Crush...if I had it to do over, I probably would have read First Aid twice and saved my money on Crush. Also I probably would have been more thorough about reading the explanations on USMLEWorld.

great job....when did you take your exam?

ucb

lizmid152 said:
Thanks!

I took it 7/14 and just got my score back yesterday

oooh okay

yah, i took mine on the 27th; i hope i did as well as you did...

ucb

goldengate said:
I took it Aug. 4th and I think UW is still "money". Now, I think the style of UW and the actual exam is a bit different. I also felt the same way about the practice tests so those will give you a feel for the "style" of the questions written. I can't put my finger on what was different but I found the practice NBME exams and the real exam a little tricky. But, like I said, I can't exactly put my finger on what it was. However, that said, I though UW was an awesome study tool for the exam. The answers on UW were extremely helpful for the real test because they explained why the answer was what it was. This correlated to knowing the answer when it came up in different wording on the exam because I understood the concept. But don't listen to me before I get my scores back. I might have sucked it up big time, it which case you should disregard all of what I have said. ;)

trkd said:
I took it Aug. 4th and I think UW is still "money". Now, I think the style of UW and the actual exam is a bit different. I also felt the same way about the practice tests so those will give you a feel for the "style" of the questions written. I can't put my finger on what was different but I found the practice NBME exams and the real exam a little tricky. But, like I said, I can't exactly put my finger on what it was. However, that said, I though UW was an awesome study tool for the exam. The answers on UW were extremely helpful for the real test because they explained why the answer was what it was. This correlated to knowing the answer when it came up in different wording on the exam because I understood the concept. But don't listen to me before I get my scores back. I might have sucked it up big time, it which case you should disregard all of what I have said. ;)

I second that. The real USMLE makes even the most obvious answer less obvious by either giving the answer in a manner your are not used to, e.g. genital warts= exophytic leision, or gives you a plausible 2nd explanation for your pt's symptoms. Basically, I think you have to stick with your "gut" feeling. Anyways, as previous posters have said, I may totally b off-base so please take this with a grain of salt ;)

smgilles said:
Just took step II. I thought I would share how I prepared, etc, since everyone else has. First, I thought it was much easier (knock on wood) than step I (score 232). Second, I think if you do all of the questions in USMLEworld and Secrets step 2 you will be golden, but I also think if you pay attention for your core rotations during 3rd year you will have a solid understanding of the "what next" questions.

Lots of seizures, more than I was expecting. Also, lots of diarrhea and nausea. Glad it is over with.

I ended up with 67% overall on USMLEworld. Around 75% on the Kaplan Qbook and went through B&W, Secrets once each, and read Kaplan Internal Medicine once.

I will let everyone know how I do in around 4 weeks. Now I have to start studying OMT for the COMLEX II next week...Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

PM if you have any questions.

Just got my scores back today too:

USMLE I: 232
USMLE II: 245

My advice would be to do USMLEworld as many times as you can. I also thought Qbook was good resource as well.

Good luck all.

I took it in the last couple days and still felt that UW was a good resource. People have talked about how exactly similar questions were on Step II and the UW bank and I felt I got at least 5-6 EXACTLY SIMILAR questions (that I can remember). I did UW once, btw.

Whether that's higher or lower since the "question pool has changed" is something I won't know.

Still, their explanations and questions are good.

Coastie said:
Hey Dudes,

It's all about the Usmleworld and Crush the Boards.

Crush x 2, UW x 1 (2200 ?'s)
3 weeks out NBME 1: 216
2 weeks out NBME 2: 248
2 days out NBME 3: 202
4 weeks total study

I don't recommend taking a practice test as close to test day as I did.

Step 1: 191 (Kaplan only, hardly any studying, rough family situation, newborn kids, parents dying)

Step 2: 234

43 point improvement! Stick to Crush and UW. I would do UW over again if I could, I think it would definitely improve things.

Stay away from Kaplan!

Oh, UW Avg? 58%, first time through.

Think this answers everything in a nice, neat format....

Avoid First Aid for step 2. Way too overcomplicated. Tried to read one chapter..Sucked. Go with Crush and UW. UW x 2, x 3, x 4. UW!

P.S. Came out not knowing how I did. Was even afraid I failed..

You're my American Idol. So far all I've been getting is 50's on UW (range from 42 to 70%), which is totally depressing. It's amazing how much medicine I've forgotten since I've done the rotation way back last July.
Must plow onward!

kaos said:
You're my American Idol. So far all I've been getting is 50's on UW (range from 42 to 70%), which is totally depressing. It's amazing how much medicine I've forgotten since I've done the rotation way back last July.
Must plow onward!

lol, thanks! Well, don''t let those ranges bother you...I had something similar, with actually a bit lower and a bit higher on each end of those numbers. Towards the end it was more consistently 60-65%, but I had bad ones thrown in there too. Pay more attention to the actual knowledge in the tutor mode as opposed to your score!

When do you take it?

Coastie said:
lol, thanks! Well, don''t let those ranges bother you...I had something similar, with actually a bit lower and a bit higher on each end of those numbers. Towards the end it was more consistently 60-65%, but I had bad ones thrown in there too. Pay more attention to the actual knowledge in the tutor mode as opposed to your score!

When do you take it?

Hey coastie,
i'm pretty much right where you are too.....my overall UW average at this point is 57.5 with only like 500qs left.....but i'm now consistently getting 61-65 with an occasional 70 and an occasional 45(AHHHHH!). HOWEVER!, before i started studying 2 weeks ago, i took NBME 1(Stupidly) and got a predicted 180! I'm very nervous about this.....i'm taking CK on the 21st and am planning on doing NBME 2 on monday the 14th. Do you think this is a good idea? Should i take it closer than 1 week to real thing? Not take it at all? Or am i doomed? Thx for your encouragement!

obgyn06 said:
I think I got around a 61% (I can't access my account anymore) but it definately wasn't as high as 65%. I felt like I scored alot in the 55-59% and then occassionally in the 60-65% range.

I took the nbme mini-exam that is $45 online and got a 231.

I ended up with a 250. :clap: I got a 208 on step 1.
Thank you, thank you. there's hope!!! What did you do different this time???

jpinsky said:
Hey coastie,
i'm pretty much right where you are too.....my overall UW average at this point is 57.5 with only like 500qs left.....but i'm now consistently getting 61-65 with an occasional 70 and an occasional 45(AHHHHH!). HOWEVER!, before i started studying 2 weeks ago, i took NBME 1(Stupidly) and got a predicted 180! I'm very nervous about this.....i'm taking CK on the 21st and am planning on doing NBME 2 on monday the 14th. Do you think this is a good idea? Should i take it closer than 1 week to real thing? Not take it at all? Or am i doomed? Thx for your encouragement!

If it makes you feel any better, I am taking the test Monday but I was in a similar situation: I took NBME 1 a few days into my studying and got a predicted 188. This totally freaked me out and I hit the books. I took NBME 3 last Saturday (did not to #2) and got a predicted 215 which was a relief - not my goal score, but it showed me I had improved. I have been able to work really hard this last week knowing that my studying up to this point had paid off and hoping that I can still go up before the real thing (the 14th). So keep working hard, take #2 the 14th and see how you are doing. Best of luck!

jpinsky said:
Hey coastie,

Hey man,

I think taking a practice test a week before is perfect. I wouldn't let that predicted 180 do anything to you. Just focus on UW, learning from each question, and keep your confidence up! The worst thing you can do is be nervous right now.. :)

Do you have any issues with timing? I never had a problem, and always had time left over ,so I focused entirely on learning from UW. Perhaps a few timed sections would be nice if you need to practice on your timing, because leaving blank questions on test day, or feeling rushed, isn't good..

Coastie said:
Hey man,

I think taking a practice test a week before is perfect. I wouldn't let that predicted 180 do anything to you. Just focus on UW, learning from each question, and keep your confidence up! The worst thing you can do is be nervous right now.. :)

Do you have any issues with timing? I never had a problem, and always had time left over ,so I focused entirely on learning from UW. Perhaps a few timed sections would be nice if you need to practice on your timing, because leaving blank questions on test day, or feeling rushed, isn't good..

Thanks for all the advice! I usually finish the timed sections with anywhere from 0 (once) to 10 minutes left but usually about 3-5 minutes left. But i usually do them timed and go back through all of them bc i think it goes faster for some reason.....should i do the last ones in tutor? thx again....i'll let you know how my NBME 2 and real thing go.

Coastie said:

When do you take it?
In 2 more weeks. :scared: I'm definitely refreshing my memory and learning quite a bit with the answer explanations. It sux doing research and studying at the same time in your "time off", mos def.

jpinsky said:
Thanks for all the advice! I usually finish the timed sections with anywhere from 0 (once) to 10 minutes left but usually about 3-5 minutes left. But i usually do them timed and go back through all of them bc i think it goes faster for some reason.....should i do the last ones in tutor? thx again....i'll let you know how my NBME 2 and real thing go.

I say go tutor..It's the best way to learn imho, and you're timing sounds fine. Best to really learn the stuff than worry about time in your case..

for NBME I did time and tutor..mixed it up..I think the NBME should be timed, UW be tutored.

Took step-II yesterday. USMLEWorld was very similar in question length and type of questions asked, "next study", "likely pathogen", etc. I thought the answer choices yesterday were much friendlier. In U-world you'd have three similar answers but with the real thing there were a lot of q's where only one, maybe two answers, made the most sense. I wouldn't say it's an easy exam though. I felt pretty strong in the beginning but left the test center a bit dazed. I'll post a follow-up with what I used when my score comes back.

I'll weigh in. I finished all of Usmleworld (went through it once in the 2 weeks before I took step 2). My final average was 79.5%, but to be fair if I adjust for incorrect to correct I would estimate my UW average to be closer to 75%. I did all the questions in tutor mode, and did not do them in subject specific chunks.

Took that bad boy July 14th, I felt pretty good coming out of the test, better than I did after Step 1 240/98, but was still surprised when I got my Step 2 score today

276/99 :)

Good luck to all! USMLEWORLD rocks I'm sure it tacked on a good 30 points to my score. Don't be stingy, spend the money and do ALL the questions

I am sooooo done reading for a year ;) Time to let my brain atrophy

Doc Ivy said:
I'll weigh in. I finished all of Usmleworld (went through it once in the 2 weeks before I took step 2). My final average was 79.5%, but to be fair if I adjust for incorrect to correct I would estimate my UW average to be closer to 75%. I did all the questions in tutor mode, and did not do them in subject specific chunks.

Took that bad boy July 14th, I felt pretty good coming out of the test, better than I did after Step 1 240/98, but was still surprised when I got my Step 2 score today

Good luck to all! USMLEWORLD rocks I'm sure it tacked on a good 30 points to my score. Don't be stingy, spend the money and do ALL the questions

HOLY ****

Congratulations Ivy.....that's an extremely impressive score. I am so happy for you.

Go and celebrate, you deserve it..

ucb

Doc Ivy said:

:eek: I think that is the highest step1 or 2 I have seen posted. How long did you study? and did the score correlate with your shelf grades? Thanks

Doc Ivy said:

I'm not sensing an appropriate affect...did you make a typo? Either way, congrats. What a sweet score. Are you going to release your scores? :laugh:

**** - if that were my score i'd get a personalized plate in cali. show people who the real pimp of the year is.

p

UW one time through 63%
Step 1 - 230
Step 2 - 244
NBME 1 - 227
NBME 2 - 235 (one week before)

Here's my UW/step 2 CK experience:

UW, did about half, averaged 59%, last 5 tests were in the low 70%'s

Step 1: 187. (I won't make any excuses here)
Step 2: 234. (don't know the percentile)

Ok, it's no 276, but it's still an improvement for me to smile about. I really think UW was a great resource.

Shane2150 said:
Here's my UW/step 2 CK experience:

UW, did about half, averaged 59%, last 5 tests were in the low 70%'s

Step 1: 187. (I won't make any excuses here)
Step 2: 234. (don't know the percentile)

Ok, it's no 276, but it's still an improvement for me to smile about. I really think UW was a great resource.

:clap:

That's awesome! Congratulations!

:clap:

Hey all--

I studied for 4 for weeks between M3 and M4, used Kaplan notes and FA and of course UW, did all the pretests over again. And no it's not a typo the 276/99 is the real deal. I damn near pissed my pants when I saw my score. I studied hard but was expecting the standard 10 point jump from my step 1, which would have put me at about 250.

My score way outranked my shelfs--- average shelf grades were in the 85-95%ile. I just found it hard to study enough on rotations, I was just too exhausted. So I took the first elective block off to study, then treated myself to a little vacay in Vegas before my surgery Sub-I

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the advice over the past months--- if I can be of any help, let me know.

And to whoever said they didn't sense appropriate affect :confused: it's kind of hard to convey how happy your are over a message board without coming off like an arrogant jerk :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: does that suffice?

PM with any questions

Doc Ivy said:

Doc Ivy, are you single? ;)

I wish I was half the woman,...oh no wait...., I ment half the person you are.

No, but seriously....GREAT JOB! AND Congratulations! :thumbup:

Leukocyte said:
Doc Ivy, are you single? ;)

I wish I was half the woman,...oh no wait...., I ment half the person you are.

No, but seriously....GREAT JOB! AND Congratulations! :thumbup:

God, I never thought my Step 2 score could land me a date ;)

omarsaleh66 said:
Thats an amazing score. U might as well knock out step3 right now.

later
Word, I think doc ivy should just go ahead and knock out step 3 now too.

Doc Ivy said:
God, I never thought my Step 2 score could land me a date--- happens to be I am newly single ;)
Are you into asian guys? Could we do some dates where you can tutor me for step 2? Or maybe we could just cuddle and some of that smarts would rub up on me. I hope I'm assuming right that you are a girl, but even if you were a guy I'm open minded enough to do almost about anything to get that kind of a score. :D

Doc Ivy said:
God, I never thought my Step 2 score could land me a date--- happens to be I am newly single ;)

Congratulations Doc Ivy. May I ask what book to use as a guide to organize everything. Like a last minute read for step 2 ck such as First Aid, Step up or Crush...any suggestions?

I wish I could get a good score as well so that I will also get a date like you did ;) Again, congratulations!!!

By the way, is it better to do the usmleworld tutor mode?

I studied for 4 weeks slightly half-assed - read boards/wards, a bit of crush, and did usmleworld

USMLEworld: made it through all the questions in random blocks of 46 - averaged 58%
Step 1: 235
Step 2: 229

I guess that will do.

Hey all,

Did UW in tutor mode--- I used Kaplan notes and anotated FA while I read the UW answers

Inside tip: I never set foot in a library, too quiet.

I need to talk to myself to study, read out loud, gesticulate, pace the floor, whatever it takes to go for 12hours a day qd x4weeks. Can't do that stuff in public, and just sitting in a chair for 12hrs with FA is cruel and unusual punishment and would be like taking an Ambien.