Usyd Medicine/Dentistry rejected/accepted 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowmellow

Usyd Dent Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok it seems like we are going to get rejection/acceptance letter either this week or next week. I have spoke to Usyd admission and they said they are already making offers for medicine applicants (US/Canada). For those who applied for dentistry, expect a email from either Anne or Usyd next week.

I dont understand how they can make offers when they did not complete the interview process, as far as I know they are interviewing applicants in Oct?? Rite??

I guess this will make competition harder since it looks like Usyd is reserving some spots for those who will interviewing in Sydney.....

If you already received the offer from Usyd, post your stat, where u from or studied and etc. It will help others.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My guess is that they decided to give out a certain number of spots to the people who interviewed in Vancouver, since that's where most of their international students were. They'll probably send out another round of offers after the Sydney interviews to people from all of the locations.

Anyway, I received my offer letter today. Here is my info:

Undergrad: University of Missouri (BS in Chemistry with minors in medical physics, radioenvironmental sciences, and biology).
GPA: 2.9 / 4.0
MCAT: 13PS, 12BS, 11VR, Q

2.9 GPA? :eek:

Are the standards at OZ schools much lower than it is here for grad school in the states?

Members don't see this ad :)

Are the standards at OZ schools much lower than it is here for grad school in the states?

They don't care much about GPA... their admissions are based mostly on the MCAT score. That's one reason why I'm going there.

Ok it seems like we are going to get rejection/acceptance letter either this week or next week. I have spoke to Usyd admission and they said they are already making offers for medicine applicants (US/Canada). For those who applied for dentistry, expect a email from either Anne or Usyd next week.

Did u talk to Anne?

I'm hoping dental admission offers aren't sent out yet, it seems like those who recieved offers were all medical applicants

and, wasn't Singapore's Interview yesterday?(sep 2nd)...

Did u talk to Anne?

I'm hoping dental admission offers aren't sent out yet, it seems like those who recieved offers were all medical applicants

and, wasn't Singapore's Interview yesterday?(sep 2nd)...

Yes I talked to Anne and she said they are trying to send offers next week for dentistry.

Sydney has just started doing that recently.. but that also means they are equally interviewing waay more people. So, in a way competition hasn't really changed. Cause if you need a 3.7 to get an interview at school A and they only interview 2 people for every spot and if you need a 2.9-3.2 to get an interview at school B, but they interview 5 people for every 1 spot then its still difficult. They are just putting more emphasis on the interview. :thumbup:

Most of you who got early offers had MCAT scores way above the average for USyd, thats why they got back to you early. A 39 and a 36 MCAT score are insanely exceptional. The average for the best US medical schools is around a 33 composite. Most people I know at USyd usually have around a 30. Occasionally some people do get in with less than a 30 but that usually meant that they did exceptionally well on the interview.

Aussie schools interview internationals in a ratio similar to that for locals, usually 2 to 1.7 applicants to each available seat. MMI is supposed to objective, I totally disagree, I think the evaluation system can be quite subjective, and they seem to be looking for a certain kind of answer. That is why UQ scrapped interviews.

One thing I find totally odd with USyd is that they are going to send some first year students on clinical observations in Nepean which is insanely far away from Sydney, the Western clinical school is also quite a distance away. I guess that is one good thing about UQ, is that you will either be in the PA or the RBH which are both relatively easy to find from UQ.

Last edited:
Most of you who got early offers had MCAT scores way above the average for USyd, thats why they got back to you early. A 39 and a 36 MCAT score are insanely exceptional. The average for the best US medical schools is around a 33 composite.

Washington University in St. Louis has a median MCAT of 37-38 (Median of 12 VR, 13 BS and 13 PS). Harvard, Hopkins, and a couple others are a point or two behind. The median for all schools is around a 31-32.

Washington University in St. Louis has a median MCAT of 37-38 (Median of 12 VR, 13 BS and 13 PS). Harvard, Hopkins, and a couple others are a point or two behind. The median for all schools is around a 31-32.

Those are the median scores for accepted not matriculated students. Meaning those students with the really high scores will more then likely be spread out among the top schools so their matriculated MCAT median score is actually lower.

Those are the median scores for accepted not matriculated students. Meaning those students with the really high scores will more then likely be spread out among the top schools so their matriculated MCAT median score is actually lower.

The median accepted for Washington University at St. Louis is 38, the median matriculants is 37. At the high end universities, the matriculation data is very close to the accepted, since people who are accepted by those universities, tend to go there. And usually, if they don't, there is someone with equal, or almost equal stats to take their place.

At the mid/low tier, the difference is larger between the two sets of data.

I know people who go to Penn and Columbia, and there the average is a 33-34 MCAT, maybe a point higher. WashU always had the highest average MCAT score of 38. Stanford's average is around 33-34.

The median for all schools in the US is actually 30-31P. I just looked it up on AAMC.

McGill is around a 33 as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know people who go to Penn and Columbia, and there the average is a 33-34 MCAT, maybe a point higher. WashU always had the highest average MCAT score of 38. Stanford's average is around 33-34.

According to 09-10 US News & Word Report, the average matriculant stats MCAT at the following school are Accepted (matriculated):

Washington: 38 (37.5)
Harvard: 37 (35.7)
Hopkins: 37 (35.4)
Columbia:37 (35.4)
U of Michigan: 37 (35.4)

Those are the five highest averages at the moment. About 10 more are really close (around 37 or 36 accepted, and 35+ matriculated).

These were the averages I got from Princeton Review:
Average Overall MCAT Scores for students accepted to:
Washington University School of Medicine

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons

Duke University School of Medicine

Harvard Medical School

Cornell University - Weill Medical College

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

University of Michigan Medical School

Yale University School of Medicine

Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine

New York University School of Medicine

Mayo Medical School

Stanford University School of Medicine

University of Washington School of Medicine

Dartmouth Medical School

Boston University School of Medicine

These are per section.

I actually did some electives at Northwestern, honestly, seeing the working conditions there, mediocre pay and long hours plus gritty Chicago, I am so glad I am in Australia. I am only minutes away from the best coastlines on Earth while my colleagues in Chi-town will endure Ass cold Chicago winters.

But going back to what I was saying the two people who just received offers from USyd early had MCATs scores that were well above USyd's average for internationals. They usually tend to notify the highest ranked applicants early and then start sending subsequent offers.

Last edited:
OMG!!!:eek::eek::eek: I just got an offer from USyd Dentistry!!
My heart is still pumping and beating so fast that it is even difficult for me to write this now.

OMG!!!:eek::eek::eek: I just got an offer from USyd Dentistry!!
My heart is still pumping and beating so fast that it is even difficult for me to write this now.

OMG !!!!!!! I got mine too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbup::laugh::scared:

Anyone else got accepted to Usyd Bdent? ;)

I still have not heard a thing, the suspense is killing me. I applied to Bdent.:scared::eek:

BTW did all those who got the acceptance letter use the online method to accept their seats, coz for some odd reason i keep gettin the error message.. no clue wats goin on

BTW did all those who got the acceptance letter use the online method to accept their seats, coz for some odd reason i keep gettin the error message.. no clue wats goin on

Weird. I had no problem:confused: maybe u should just send Anne the paper version one.

BTW congrats~!! Jazzyb

Congrat~~!!, Jazzyb..
I didn't have any problem either. What kinds of web browser are you using?
Try different one and see whether it makes any difference.

Congrats guys!! Im using firefox so i dont know why it wont work. I guess im gonna call Anne monday and also fax her that signed page.
Also if you guys are canadians, which bank are you using to get a loan??

Congrats guys!! Im using firefox so i dont know why it wont work. I guess im gonna call Anne monday and also fax her that signed page.
Also if you guys are canadians, which bank are you using to get a loan??

Try Explorer instead of firefox, it may work.

I am getting my loan from TD (150K) but I am going to apply for BC loan as well (way cheaper interest I think). I think BC loan will give u around 15000/yrs but it is not confirmed or anything. I am not sure how exactly BC loan works but good thing is that i dont have to worry about paying interest every month.

Try Explorer instead of firefox, it may work.

I am getting my loan from TD (150K) but I am going to apply for BC loan as well (way cheaper interest I think). I think BC loan will give u around 15000/yrs but it is not confirmed or anything. I am not sure how exactly BC loan works but good thing is that i dont have to worry about paying interest every month.

Im just going to Fax the paper to Anne.

With TD dont you have to pay monthly interest? I shopped around for the past few days and found that Scotia bank is the only one that puts the interest towards the principle so although the principle rises atleast we dont pay anything while in school.

Anyone with any other suggestions??

Nepean is far, but clinical obs is 1 day a week and the students at Nepean actually had great teaching experience. Westmead is not that far and both are on the train line. Westmead was my teaching hospital and I lived in Sydney for 3/4 years and commuted...not a big deal and I didn't own a car.

fyi, USyd is not in a "dodgy par of town" for whoever said that before. Its within walking distance to the CBD, a beautiful campus.

good luck; if you go there enjoy it. some of the best years of my life. there is no way I'd go there now w/that tuition increase; that is almost double what I paid.

I finally got an offer from USyd for their medical program!!! I was also offered a spot at UQ, right now I am debating what advantages Sydney will have over UQ. I was told tuition for USyd is 53k and living costs are around 25k a year or more. That would mean about 17k a year more than UQ.

Hi guys,

I figured it was about time I joined- I've been looking at the forums for about a year now. So, hello all- and thanks, so much on here has been really helpful. Now that I've learned a bit on these forums, I thought I could start posting in the hopes that something might be helpful to someone else!

Anyhow, I received an offer from USyd Med a little while ago, and since yellowmellow thought stats could be helpful, here are mine:

Undergrad: B.A.&Sc at McGill University (Montreal, Canada)
GPA: 3.1
MCAT: 11PS, 10BS, 11VR, Q

Good luck everyone!