UT Houston class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Live wherever ya'ant to. Get a CCW and a 38 special. Or I reckon you could just blast away with a Mossberg 500 from your doorstep.

Joe Horn did.

yeehaw.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome weekend dates have not been posted at this time. I assume there will be information about it in the acceptance packets that we should be receiving in the next few weeks.

Got my packet today. Make sure you send back the acceptance letter and the computer reccomendation letter signed. The signature is on the back of the computer letter, so it is easy to miss. I learned the hard way and had to rip the envelope open.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call from my parents this morning, apparently got sent to my home address...whoops! Looks like I'll have to wait a bit to get mine

Hey I have a questions for you guys...

I told UTH that I would be getting a minor in Chemistry and found out that my school offered my two required Biochemistry classes (the last two that I need to finish my minor) at the same time as my last two major requirements.. and to be honest I rather have two majors then one major and a minor... So what do I do? Will my acceptance be revoked?(I seriously hope not)

On another note, do most people go to med school with a room mate? Because I think I would like one but I don't know where to start...

Hey- why don't you email Dr. Kellaway/Nancy Murphy/both and tell them your situation. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal but the most important thing is to keep them informed and ask for their input about what you should do.

As far as roommates goes, I think at this point in our lives it's up to personal preference/finances. In undergrad, EVERYONE (almost) has a roommate. In med school and other graduate programs, I think people have already discovered whether they like having a roommate or not, so they do what they want to do. I don't think there is a norm. Granted, I'm not in med school yet...

Have you looked at the facebook group? I've seen a couple people asking about roommates. Also, maybe you could meet potential roommates during welcome weekend?

I got a call from my parents this morning, apparently got sent to my home address...whoops! Looks like I'll have to wait a bit to get mine

Oh, and mine was also sent to my parents house... they told me it was pretty much just the acceptance form, ethical pledge, and computer requirements. I love how they went through it without asking :rolleyes: haha.

Hopefully they're all just enjoying their free time instead of studying GI physiology.. on a Saturday night.. like some of us :(

Dear quiet 2014ers. This thread needs a bump. So here's a video that you might wanna watch if you're looking to get a quick head start on the rigorous curriculum at UT-Houston.

Truncation of Popliteal artery and Topical Dropamine

I'll post a few more of these as I come across them.

HAHA awesome :laugh:. Totally fooled me with the name of the link followed by the music video.

Spring break is coming up (slowly but surely), and I can't wait to go down and look at apartments. Plus welcome weekend is coincidentally on the same weekend that I was planning on going. How convenient. What does Welcome Weekend consist of, anyway?

Also, I sent an email to the IT person listed as the contact for questions about computers like two weeks ago or more, and he still hasn't emailed me back. Is there someone else I should contact?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything specifically you need to know about computers? The IT guys don't really help us with anything other than installing the programs they support.

Well, I have a 13" macbook (white plastic one) with 2gb ram, no where near the recommended memory on my video card (I have 144mb and recommended is 512mb), and I have parallels, which runs Windows XP.

Basically, I need to know: what do I need to add to my computer?

Program that runs Windows Professional or Windows 7?
2gb more ram?
More memory on my video card?

And if I need all this stuff, should I just buy a new laptop?

You're going to be fine as long as your computer will run a minimum resolution of 1024x768 in Windows.

Adding RAM would be nice, but it isn't absolutely essential. I don't think it's very easy to replace your video card in a laptop, so that's probably not feasable.

Do you have a secondary computer (desktop) at home, or will this be your primary computer? If it's your only computer, make sure you have ~30gb of hard drive space free.

Ok, thanks! I think I'm good then. Resolution in windows is way more than that and I have ~105 GB hard drive available. I saw extra RAM is really expensive directly from Apple but I was thinking about adding Mac-compatible RAM (really don't know anything about this though). I know that would void an extended warranty but I don't have one anyway. I'll probably end up getting a new laptop in the next year or two anyway.

EDIT: this is my primary computer.

Adding RAM is fairly easy, you just have to know how much the computer will take and what kind it is. You'll be fine with 2GB.

The only concern I'd have is with streaming lectures, but I can stream them fine on my netbook and it has integrated graphics and generally sucks. I'd say you'll get by perfectly fine, but I'd probably also try to save enough money that if you DO find that your computer is inadequate, you'd be able to buy another one.

And I can get you Windows 7 if you really want it. XP will be fine for you, though.

Plus welcome weekend is coincidentally on the same weekend that I was planning on going. How convenient. What does Welcome Weekend consist of, anyway?

Where did you find out about when welcome weekend is, link please?

:thumbup: Congratulations class of 2014ers!!!! :thumbup:

I am currently an MSIII at UTH and I'm looking for a roommate for next year. Basics: female, non-smoker, no pets, W/D in the apartment, 2/2 fully furnished except for your bedroom, walk-in closets, drive up covered garage, move in anytime in August 2010

rent + electric/utilities/cable/internet = $700 + $100-$175

I have lived at The Arcadian on Braeswood and Kirby for two years and I absolutely love it. My roommate is getting married and moving out so I need someone to come take her place. It is very close to the med center but in one of the safer areas **knock on wood** and there is a shuttle or a bus so you can always get to school in 30 minutes or less door to door.

If you are the kind of person who needs her own space but is trying to cut down on expenses, this is perfect for you! The apartment is spacious (1142 sq. ft.) and the two bed/bath areas are separated by the kitchen/living area, but we can split rent, electric, internet, etc. Also, I may be able to help calm you down when you are freaking out before your first block tests!

PM me if you are interested.

Floor plan: http://www.providenceatkirbyapts.co...?usid=&pid=34842&fpid=20173&mid=961415&logo=1

Anyone else going to Welcome Weekend? It's right in the middle of my spring break, but I was just gonna be hanging out at SXSW anyways

I'll be there for most of the stuff- I was already planning on being in Houston at that time to look at apartments. Do people bring their families to Welcome Weekend?

Well, I have a 13" macbook (white plastic one) with 2gb ram, no where near the recommended memory on my video card (I have 144mb and recommended is 512mb), and I have parallels, which runs Windows XP.

Basically, I need to know: what do I need to add to my computer?

Program that runs Windows Professional or Windows 7?
2gb more ram?
More memory on my video card?

And if I need all this stuff, should I just buy a new laptop?
Hey LRAccord, I was wondering the same thing about Macs and computer requirements. I emailed Dr. Kellaway and she got me in contact with the head of IT, Bassel Choucair. He emailed me this below.... you might wanna check on your macbook based on what he says and maybe contact him, unless its a pro.

"We are allowing Macs for this incoming year if they meet the requirements listed by Dr. Kellaway below. The four main bullets to look at
are:

Graphics Card : 512MB available memory

OS 10.5 or higher (for Mac)

VMWare Fusion 3.0 and Windows 7 (for Mac)

This make the regular MacBook unacceptable (MacBook Pro is OK)."

I'll be there for most of the stuff- I was already planning on being in Houston at that time to look at apartments. Do people bring their families to Welcome Weekend?

People bring their spouses/significant others a lot of the time but I've never seen any other family members. The program is really geared toward the students, parents or children wouldn't get much out of it.

People bring their spouses/significant others a lot of the time but I've never seen any other family members. The program is really geared toward the students, parents or children wouldn't get much out of it.

After I saw the night on the town activity, I kind of had a feeling that this was the case.

Is there anyone who could give me a rough estimate of what books & supplies will cost during the first two years of medical school?

Could I take a look at that list you've compiled? I'm pretty much looking for all the same things

Is there anyone who could give me a rough estimate of what books & supplies will cost during the first two years of medical school?
Depends what all you're including in "supplies," like if you need to buy a stethoscope, scrubs, etc.

If you choose to purchase syllabi, they'll run you ~$200 for each of the first two semesters (they're $20-25 each, and typically you need 4 per block, but that's not always the case). Outside books depend on how much you feel like you need and what your MS2 buddy gives you. First semester I spent maybe $75 on additional books. Second semester I've spent probably a little over $100.
A stethoscope will run you $100-200, depending on what you get. Tuning fork, etc will run you $20 total.
So depending on what you want or need, the first year could run you close to $750. If you don't need much and don't want to buy syllabi, it could be under $200.

I'm not sure about second year.

I noticed that for welcome weekend significant others were also invited. Do most people bring their significant other's with them though? It seems most of the activities are geared for the students themselves. My girlfriend (3 years together and soon to be fiancé) and I were trying to figure out if it is worth it and/or not out of the norm for her to come with me.

I hope that it is not out of the norm or weird. I am bringing my wife with me, but of course that is because she really wanted to come and find a place for us to live!

it was definitely not out of the norm for SOs to be with their med students at retreat. I wouldn't worry about them being out of place or the "only" ones there.

I"m starting to look for a place to rent for this July. Do you mind forwarding me the list that you have. I do not have a pet if you have any additional info regarding places without pets. How early did you start looking in advance of your move in date. Do most of the students live right around the medical center and rice area. I really appreciate your help.
thanks

Hey guys,
I'm looking to rent out a small room in my apt. I'm a very, very quiet person and a student as well. I am looking for a female non-smoker. I do not drink or anything like that. I am at school for most of the day. I live close by (~3 miles). Right by the grocery stores. Rent would be $450-500 a month including utilities + wireless internet. Please PM me for more info if you are interested or want pics! It will be available June 1!!

Hey Aggiedoc, I'll have my GF of 3 yrs and soon to be fiance with me as well so you def won't be the only one!
I noticed that for welcome weekend significant others were also invited. Do most people bring their significant other's with them though? It seems most of the activities are geared for the students themselves. My girlfriend (3 years together and soon to be fiancé) and I were trying to figure out if it is worth it and/or not out of the norm for her to come with me.

Welcome Weekend what what!!

That was fun, ya'll....I'm excited for next year :thumbup:

yeah, hope you guys enjoyed it. you gotta a little taste of what retreat will be like... except a ton better. retreat is awesome.

Hey all,

I am currently apartment hunting, and I had a question. Two places I'm looking at, Midtown at Arbor Place and Ventana at Midtown, both seem nice, and I was wondering if anyone here currently lived in these apartments and could offer insight, or if anyone has friends that live here? Overall, what's the impression of the Midtown area?

Thanks!

Hey, have you looked at Ventana in person? It looks nice, but it's right next to highway 59, and it's REALLY hard to get in and out of the complex. I had to wait for traffic to go by for like 5 minutes before I could make a right turn out.

I never looked at Midtown at Arbor Place, but it looks like it's right next to 45.

For the record, I have no idea about the Midtown area, so someone else will have to answer that.

I looked at lots of apartment complexes this weekend, and I really liked The Arcadian Kirby. Seems like it's in a good location- block from multiple grocery stores, Barnes and Noble, etc. And they have a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes to the medical center. There were several other nice apartments in that area, if you're not set on midtown.

Ok, I have a question now. I have never applied for loans before- almost my entire undergrad has been paid for through scholarships. When/how do I apply for the Stafford and the Perkins loans? I saw that I need my student ID# to log on to UTLink, which I don't have yet. I have filed my taxes and finished my FAFSA.

Will the financial aid office send me a request asking that I apply for loans if I need them?

Ok, I have a question now. I have never applied for loans before- almost my entire undergrad has been paid for through scholarships. When/how do I apply for the Stafford and the Perkins loans? I saw that I need my student ID# to log on to UTLink, which I don't have yet. I have filed my taxes and finished my FAFSA.

Will the financial aid office send me a request asking that I apply for loans if I need them?
Did you fill out the FAFSA yet?

but yes, financial aid will send you the info you need to apply for them. It's pretty much all done online, I believe

Ok, thanks armybound. I already filed my taxes and filled out the FAFSA. I just wanted to make sure I'm keeping on track with everything.

Hey accord,
I was wondering the same thing about the student number that they ask for on the financial aid form. I emailed fin aid and the registrar and they responded to me with my number. In case you wanted to get yours ahead of time....
Ok, thanks armybound. I already filed my taxes and filled out the FAFSA. I just wanted to make sure I'm keeping on track with everything.

there's an ad at the bus stop for a condo where I live -- the exact same 1-bed, 1-bath floorplan as I have -- for $670/month on a 1-year lease. That's $150 less than I pay and I'd consider it a pretty good deal. If anyone is interested, I can PM you the phone number on the ad.

Anyone know any good places to live if you have a small family? My wife and I have two little kids and would really like to find a 3 bedroom if we can afford it. We are not from Texas and don't know the area too well. Renting a 3 bedroom in/around the medical center for a decent price doesn't seem too possible, from the places that I've looked at so far. We are also thinking about maybe just getting a house, but again we are not from Houston and don't know which areas would be best too look at. I've heard that some students live in Pearland(?) and commute to the medical center everyday. Any help would really be appreciated.