Utah Applicants 2006 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lostinbul said:
Just writing to let you know that yes indeed I know where Lehi is! I'm moving there next week! I also have an interview with Case, it is scheduled for the 29th of August! As far as I know the interviews are pretty relaxed and that they really do love the Utah Applicants! I would mainly go prepared to answer two main questions: #1. Why Dentistry? #2. Why Case? Anything else will be pretty relax as far as I've heard.
Inside tip: if you interview with a guy who's last name is Sawyer, he loves fishing!!! He was making fun of me because I'm not a fly fisherman and said something about showing up with a coffee-can full of worms and I finished the quote by saying "Yeah, a red Hill's brothers can" (from the movie "a river runs through it") At the end of the interview he told me I won him over when I knew the movie line. The rest of the interview we were just laughing and joking around like old buddies.

Members don't see this ad.

lillytwig said:
am i missing some huge con (besides an undergraduate degree from BYU) that would cause the multitude to shy away from this idea? for tuition purposes alone, why would somone not take advantage of this?

Uhh, because acceptance is not guaranteed? It's actually fairly ballsy, in my opinion, to move to a state for the sole purpose of obtaining residency to enter their dental school.

You have a point that many schools accept a certain percentage of in-state applicants, but that doesn't mean there isn't any competition for those slots.

In theory, having a degree from BYU (based on acceptance stats) could actually be more beneficial to gaining admission to dental school than being a resident of a certain state. But hey, whatever works for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
USUaggie said:
Inside tip: if you interview with a guy who's last name is Sawyer, he loves fishing!!! He was making fun of me because I'm not a fly fisherman and said something about showing up with a coffee-can full of worms and I finished the quote by saying "Yeah, a red Hill's brothers can" (from the movie "a river runs through it") At the end of the interview he told me I won him over when I knew the movie line. The rest of the interview we were just laughing and joking around like old buddies.

Thanks USUaggie for the tip! I hope my interview goes as well as yours did!

lillytwig said:
so 28 of the 40 positions were given to either relocatees' or graduates from nevada's version of UVSC, SLCC, and maybe even Stevens-Henegar!
i maintain that working the problem from this angle is better. lets see if i get in!

... or Nevada residents from ANY other university in the US. It's possible to maintain residency but move to another state for school.

I still say you're putting all of your eggs into one basket, but good luck with your plan.

Any Utahn's wanna update us on where you are getting interviews, denials, etc?

Applied May 28th
Applying to:Nova, Case, Marquette, Arizona, UNLV, OHSU, Temple, Creighton, Louisville,OSU, NYU
Interviews: Case,Temple, Nova
Denied:?
Accepted:?

UtahDDS said:
Hello to all fellow Utah applicants (and everyone else reading this thread). I know there are a ton of Utah applicants but I was wondering how many actually know about SDN. So, I wanted to start this thread so we could compare experiencies throughout the 2006 application cycle. Update the thread with info with such info as, where you are applying, interviewing, accepted, etc.... Best of luck to all of you!!!

This is a fellow Utah applicant. i am actually from ohio but i attend school at SUU, so i know the drama involved with being a Utah applicant. I'm also the ASDA President and have actually seen students move away from Utah to Nevada and other states to declare residency in another states with hopes of getting accepted into a local state school (since Utah lacks a dental school). Anyways, I too am curious to know about all the Utah applicants. I have an interview at CASE on September 8. But, I haven't heard back on the other schools yet.
Good luck to you and all the other utah applicants!
19/20/18 (AA/TS/PAT)

UtahDDS said:
Any Utahn's wanna update us on where you are getting interviews, denials, etc?

Applied May 28th
Applying to:Nova, Case, Marquette, Arizona, UNLV, OHSU, Temple, Creighton, Louisville,OSU, NYU
Interviews: Case,Temple, Nova
Denied:?
Accepted:?

Just one interview so far for me! Thank you Case Western!!

Well before this thread is completely dead (it's just mostly dead, and mostly dead is slightly alive, name the movie) I'm another Utah applicant. In fact, I went with Lostinbul to Case. Great school BTW. I also just got back from Louisville. Also a very friendly great school. On par with Case. I might say I like Case's facilites a tad more, but the tuition is also nearly 20k more a year. Good luck to you all!

Beestieboy said:
Well before this thread is completely dead (it's just mostly dead, and mostly dead is slightly alive, name the movie) I'm another Utah applicant. In fact, I went with Lostinbul to Case. Great school BTW. I also just got back from Louisville. Also a very friendly great school. On par with Case. I might say I like Case's facilites a tad more, but the tuition is also nearly 20k more a year. Good luck to you all!
The Princess Bride

So, this thread is pretty much dead but I would like to revive it to ask where all the Utah students are going to dental school. It might be usefull for the applicants this year. I have decided on UNLV. It is close to home and the curriculum sounds pretty good. The facilities are sweet and the faculty and students seemed to be very happy. Las Vegas probably isn't the ideal city for a dental student but it's not too bad. My wife and I are going to buy a place down there and we will probably be ready to high-tail it back to zion in 4 years. So, where are the rest of you going? Congrats on getting in;;; or good luck for this next cycle.

UtahDDS said:
So, this thread is pretty much dead but I would like to revive it to ask where all the Utah students are going to dental school. It might be usefull for the applicants this year. I have decided on UNLV. It is close to home and the curriculum sounds pretty good. The facilities are sweet and the faculty and students seemed to be very happy. Las Vegas probably isn't the ideal city for a dental student but it's not too bad. My wife and I are going to buy a place down there and we will probably be ready to high-tail it back to zion in 4 years. So, where are the rest of you going? Congrats on getting in;;; or good luck for this next cycle.

I guess I am considered a utah applicant since I went to byu
Going to UMICH!!! Yeah. :) See ya at the big house.

there are pretty many utah applicants here...
i am also studying in Utah State Uni. though I am an international student.
good to see your picture, USU aggie.
you might remember me(bio lab)

UtahDDS said:

I'm going to Arizona! Congrats everyone!

Any new utah applicants out there? Specifically from Weber State?? I will be finishing up my Jr year this fall, and plan on graduating next summer, take the DAT next spring, and apply for dental school as early as possible.

I just want to see who is out there? I have a few questions I'd like to ask students from utah (including those recently accepted).

Utah State University
Good luck to everyone!!

I just graduated from the Universtiy of Utah in May and now live in Fort Lauderdale getting ready to attend Nova.

Dutchboy said:
I just graduated from the Universtiy of Utah in May and now live in Fort Lauderdale getting ready to attend Nova.

Is it true that Utah students are held to a higher standard? I mean, as of right now, I am working on raising the 'ole GPA, and I think a 3.4 is probably where I'll sit when all is said and done (assuming I can perform the way I intend to).

Lets say, hypothetically speaking, I achieve good solid 20's across the board on the DAT, from what I've read (assuming I have all the volunteer, leadership, shadowing, etc.), this should be enough for students from other states to be accepted, granted on the low end.

What would be the low-end-range for Utah students? If one was to buy into this belief that Utah students are indeed held to a higher standard.