WAMC: 2024-2025 Cycle (high stat applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endough11

Reaction score
Date of submission: Planning on mid-June
Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: ~3.90
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: ~3.90
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 28AA 30 TS 30 BIO 30 ORGO 30 GENCHEM 26 READING 26 MATH
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: CA public school
Major: biology
Minor: none
Minority? no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: 90 hours general dentistry split over two practices, 20 hours oral surgery
Volunteering Experience: -300 hours general hospital volunteering (CNA tasks like feeding, bathing, taking vitals, repositioning, ambulating patients)
-20 hours misc. volunteering mostly at food banks with pre-dental club
-80 hours dental free clinic- dental assisting
-30 hours at animal shelter
Employment: none
Research: 300 hours of genomics research (a lot of DNA extractions, PCR, qPCR, etc) as part of a paid summer research program. Resulted in 1 poster presentation at school's research symposium
Other Extracurriculars:
-leadership position in health education organization on campus that presents educational material at health fairs, schools, etc. (60 hours)
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? attended 4 dental school tours (CA schools)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List and Chancellor's Honors List
LOR type and strength: physics professor- average
physics professor- average
PI of summer research program- good (i hope)

trying to attain a bio professor letter to replace a physics letter
can also get a spiritual leader LOR for loma linda
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: upward trend (4.0 last 2 years and majority A+), probably an average personal statement
School list:
Harvard
UCLA
Michigan
Florida
SUNY
UCSF
Columbia
UPenn
University of the Pacific
UT Health San Antonio
UNLV
Loma Linda
University of Washington
Buffalo
UNC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 28AA 30 TS 30 BIO 30 ORGO 30 GENCHEM 26 READING 26 MATH

Minority? no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: 90 hours general dentistry split over two practices, 20 hours oral surgery
Volunteering Experience: -300 hours general hospital volunteering (CNA tasks like feeding, bathing, taking vitals, repositioning, ambulating patients)
Research: 300 hours of genomics research (a lot of DNA extractions, PCR, qPCR, etc) as part of a paid summer research program. Resulted in 1 poster presentation at school's research symposium
Other Extracurriculars:
-leadership position in health education organization on campus that presents educational material at health fairs, schools, etc. (60 hours)
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?
Relevant Honors or Awards:
Dean's List and Chancellor's Honors List

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: upward trend (4.0 last 2 years and majority A+), probably an average personal statement
School list:
Harvard
UCLA
Michigan
Florida
SUNY
UCSF
Columbia
UPenn
UT Health San Antonio
UNLV
Loma Linda
University of Washington
Buffalo
UNC
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?

Members don't see this ad :)

Minority? no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no

Other Extracurriculars:
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? attended 4 dental school tours (CA schools)

School list:
Harvard
UCLA
Michigan
Florida
SUNY
UCSF
Columbia
UPenn
UT Health San Antonio
UNLV
Loma Linda
University of Washington
Buffalo
UNC
Harvard
UCLA
Michigan
Florida
UCSF
Columbia
UPenn
UT Health San Antonio
UNC

all of these are easily in the top 15 most difficult to get into schools in the us (FL, UNC, and UTHSA are all very IS oriented)
but your stats are awesome
you need to show mission fit to get interviews/acceptances at these schools

so that leaves
SUNY
UNLV
Loma Linda
University of Washington
Buffalo
as your in range and safety schools, so it's not a bad list

Reactions: 1 user
Harvard
UCLA
Michigan
Florida
UCSF
Columbia
UPenn
UT Health San Antonio
UNC

all of these are easily in the top 15 most difficult to get into schools in the us (FL, UNC, and UTHSA are all very IS oriented)
but your stats are awesome
you need to show mission fit to get interviews/acceptances at these schools

so that leaves
SUNY
UNLV
Loma Linda
University of Washington
Buffalo
as your in range and safety schools, so it's not a bad list
why not western and USC?

Minority? no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no

Other Extracurriculars:

School list:
Harvard
UCLA
Michigan
Florida
SUNY
UCSF
Columbia
UPenn
UT Health San Antonio
UNLV
Loma Linda
University of Washington
Buffalo
UNC
why is your ps average?

Get interview practice. You can also be picky, but as noted, don't just shoot for the most difficult schools by admit rate. Don't bank on getting huge scholarships either, even though you might get one.

I agree you should strike the schools which admit very few OOS such as UW, SUNY SB, or UTSA unless your have a clear geographic link or mission fit to their communities.

why not western and USC?
the 4 SoCal schools so UCLA western lomalinda and USC. im not applying because USC is really expensive and western because of cost/vibes. I consier my personal statement average just because I don't really think its amazing and it needs work (hopefully it gets better in the next month)

Get interview practice. You can also be picky, but as noted, don't just shoot for the most difficult schools by admit rate. Don't bank on getting huge scholarships either, even though you might get one.

I agree you should strike the schools which admit very few OOS such as UW, SUNY SB, or UTSA unless your have a clear geographic link or mission fit to their communities.
any advice on some OOS friendly schools that I can apply for as safeties?

As an OOS/California applicant, your best chances are going to be with private schools with relatively large incoming classes. However, your stats are such that taking a shot at some (affordable) privates where you have a strong mission fit would be worth the shot (as shown from my advice).

I can be very jaded and just list the most insanely expensive dental schools, but part of me thinks they may yield protect you (except for USC/U$$$C, whose super-high COA... you could do better financially).

Really... if spiritual identity is important to you, and you haven't visited LLUSOD...???
View the first of many videos:

As an OOS/California applicant, your best chances are going to be with private schools with relatively large incoming classes. However, your stats are such that taking a shot at some (affordable) privates where you have a strong mission fit would be worth the shot (as shown from my advice).

I can be very jaded and just list the most insanely expensive dental schools, but part of me thinks they may yield protect you (except for USC/U$$$C, whose super-high COA... you could do better financially).

Really... if spiritual identity is important to you, and you haven't visited LLUSOD...???
View the first of many videos:

i thought you don't believe in yield management?

any advice on some OOS friendly schools that I can apply for as safeties?
my advice is to use available information online to determine oos friendliness
the difficulty you are going to encounter is that many oos public and private schools are going to put you into the "defs going uop/ucla/ucsf" category and may not offer you interview invites...

i thought you don't believe in yield management?
Not for in state programs. Or rather I don't believe the public in-state programs should. Privates can be tricky because they assume you'll pick the in-state public option for cost. And there is the surplus of California applicants so they can go anywhere if a school wants them for whatever reason that suits mission.

Last edited:
Not for in state programs. Or rather I don't believe the public in-state programs should. Privates can be tricky because they assume you'll pick the in-state public option for cost. And there is the surplus of California applicants so they can go anywhere if a school wants them for whatever reason that suits mission.
IMO, yield management applies at oos schools, public and private
predominantly private though...