UTMB Galveston???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radicalneuron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm applying to all of the Texas programs (in addition to West and East coast), and was curious as to what will happen to UTMB Galveston after Hurricane Ike destroyed the island. Will all of their applicants be automatically be applying to UTMB Austin or something to that effect?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't specifically know what they are doing. The island wasn't destroyed. Certain areas aren't in good shape, but I can assure you that Galveston is still on the map, and I would imagine that they will have program come next year. They may just need to delay interviews for a little while.

Right now some of the neurology residents are working at UT Houston (as well as some MS-3's and 4's.) University hospital in Galveston is supposed to be back open sometime in November, but only at limited capacity. This is what I've heard from UTMB med students.

There was a story about UTMB in yesterday's Houston Chronicle. According to that, UTMB is planning to lay off 1/3rd of their work force (4000 out of 12000) and they may also move to a new facility with a reduced bed no. (200 from existing 500 beds).