VA Information gaffe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsnuka

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get a letter from the VA in regards to that electronic data theft that happened a few months ago but just reached the press last month?

It appears that I am one of the millions whose information was made available to criminals.

I wonder if this is just a general letter going out ot each and everyone veteran though. the letter is not specific to its audience.

Members don't see this ad.

I got one. I figured it was like getting more pregnant though. My info was already compromised when Tricare computer servers where stolen a few years back.

jsnuka said:
Did anyone else get a letter from the VA in regards to that electronic data theft that happened a few months ago but just reached the press last month?

It appears that I am one of the millions whose information was made available to criminals.

I wonder if this is just a general letter going out ot each and everyone veteran though. the letter is not specific to its audience.

alpha62 said:
I got one. I figured it was like getting more pregnant though. My info was already compromised when Tricare computer servers where stolen a few years back.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Seems as though the government just cannot keep electronic data secure at all.

Looks like I am going to have to be a bit more vigilant about watching my credit reports than I have been doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use identity theft insurance and computer firewall through the guy on the radio:

www.daveramsey.com

My name and social was published as part of the Congressional Record when I made LCDR. It was picked up and published on the web before it could be corrected.

Fortunately, no ramifications yet.

My information was also stolen along with 10,000 other active duty AF officers last year. This is now the third time in 2 years that they've informed me that my information had been compromised. The last time was when someone accessed the online content that medical officers filled-in to get a military DEA number.

Makes me feel real safe. And, why is that we change our passwords to meet strict criteria every 2-3 months? It sure doesn't seem to prevent any hack from accessing our private info.

Change passwords q2 months ?

Same reason we funded fallout shelters for 30 years. It fools the public into believing they could actually survive a catastrophic event.

FliteSurgn said:
My information was also stolen along with 10,000 other active duty AF officers last year. This is now the third time in 2 years that they've informed me that my information had been compromised. The last time was when someone accessed the online content that medical officers filled-in to get a military DEA number.

Makes me feel real safe. And, why is that we change our passwords to meet strict criteria every 2-3 months? It sure doesn't seem to prevent any hack from accessing our private info.

I think that all vets got this right? or does this mean that IF we did get this letter our data was actually taken?

efex101 said:
I think that all vets got this right? or does this mean that IF we did get this letter our data was actually taken?
We all got it. As if ID theft wasn't easy enough. They don't have any solutions just to tell you to "watch out". It's pathetic because if I would lose the personal info of those I work for there would be hell to pay........ Anyone up for a class action suit? What can I say....I'm from Florida. We'll sue ya for missssspleeening something. :laugh:

What I don't understand was how blase' that letter from the VA was.

When Bank of America "lost" all the govt credit card info last year, they sent out a much strongly worded letter that encouraged everyone to put a block/hold on their credit history so that any credit inquiries had to be ok'd by you personally.

The VA letter made it sound like, oh by the way, your info was maybe possibly taken, and perhaps you should maybe take a look at your credit report if you're not too busy doing other things. Why are they not giving all of us free credit report checks for a year or so? I know you can get one free from each bureau, so technically you can get them 3/year, but shouldn't the govt be a little more proactive here? Especially since it's coming out that it's NOT just VA patients but also some active duty, reservist, and anyone applying for the GI Bill?

I know, I know....after 5 years active duty I should not be surprised by anything the govt/military decides is best for me.

I guess they weren't able to beat all the idealism in me completely into submission! :)

medivac said:
I guess they weren't able to beat all the idealism in me completely into submission! :)
Give it time. ;)

I agree about the letter. It was so "oh and by the way".

I pick up my DD 214 tomorrow. Barring any IRR call up, the military has missed their chance to crush my spirit :D

Unfortunately, in most cases, you cannot put a "hold" on your credit reports. You can put a fraud alert, but you are unable to lock it down. This is because the law that would have permitted such a hold was blocked by our congress, bought and paid for by the banking lobby.

On a good note, I believe that there is a provision for a hold for those of us who become deployed.

Ed

Here is what happens with identity data compromise at my former hospital.... Travis AFB about every 1-2 yrs. Somebody puts in all your data: ssn, age, phone numbers, address into a readiness/mobility excel spreadsheet. Predictably, this will be sent as an attachment on a misfired email to the entire hospital: all civilians, enlisted, officers. The hospital barbershop guy has your data. We ranted and raved about how insane this was and that the admin major who sent it out should be fired etc.... we didn't even get an apology.