VA-MD c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdo96

In a perpetual state of wanting pizza
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to go ahead and get this started! I'm OOS applying to VAMD, and I'm super excited!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am also an OOS most likely applying to VAMD. I'm from New Jersey, so it's not too far away, and I like what I have read about their program.

I wanted to go ahead and get this started! I'm OOS applying to VAMD, and I'm super excited!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS here as well. I *Think* I'm applying. I'm currently having a back and forth with the admissions office about if my writing intensive courses that I took in undergrad count towards their English requirement. There is no way in hell i'm taking another english course in order to apply to vet school, so I guess thats the limiting factor.

OOS here as well. I *Think* I'm applying. I'm currently having a back and forth with the admissions office about if my writing intensive courses that I took in undergrad count towards their English requirement. There is no way in hell i'm taking another english course in order to apply to vet school, so I guess thats the limiting factor.
I never really thought about this until I saw this post. Have they said exactly what they are looking for to meet this requirement? It says 3 credits need to be specifically English composition or technical writing. Any idea an example of what that would be? I have multiple English and different writing courses but not sure if they'd count.

Yeah I have one actual english composition course but it is only 2 credits because it was part of a larger humanities seminar.

I also have a bunch of "Writing Intensive" courses that I had to take so they had me email them the course descriptions of all the writing intensive courses to see if they will allow those to be counted towards the requirement.

It seems to be that they want 6 credits through the english department, 3 of which are specifically english composition, but I'll let you know when they get back to me.

Yeah I have one actual english composition course but it is only 2 credits because it was part of a larger humanities seminar.

I also have a bunch of "Writing Intensive" courses that I had to take so they had me email them the course descriptions of all the writing intensive courses to see if they will allow those to be counted towards the requirement.

It seems to be that they want 6 credits through the english department, 3 of which are specifically english composition, but I'll let you know when they get back to me.
Ok thanks. Yeah I'm not sure if I will have that requirement either. I also have multiple writing intensive courses but they aren't technically English courses. I also have taken multiple journalism and public relations writing courses but I guess those wouldn't count either...

I never really thought about this until I saw this post. Have they said exactly what they are looking for to meet this requirement? It says 3 credits need to be specifically English composition or technical writing. Any idea an example of what that would be? I have multiple English and different writing courses but not sure if they'd count.

I got into vmcvm this past cycle and they allowed me to use a writing intensive ecology lab to fulfill the second writing prereq. As long as you can prove that your final grade was based primarily on written work (e.g. by submitting a syllabus) you should be fine. Email their admissions coordinator and make sure, though.

OOS CA, second time applicant. I made it to interviews, but was then to low on the wait list to have a chance. I absolutely loved this school!!! Really hoping this year is it!:xf:

I just made the biggest mistake of my life... I emailed admissions to ask if they accept prerequisites from 2-year schools, and copied and pasted an email I sent to a different school, forgetting to change the name of the school in my "I am hoping to apply to ____ this cycle." .....ughhhhhh T_T I am a failure!!! Lol!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I just made the biggest mistake of my life... I emailed admissions to ask if they accept prerequisites from 2-year schools, and copied and pasted an email I sent to a different school, forgetting to change the name of the school in my "I am hoping to apply to ____ this cycle." .....ughhhhhh T_T I am a failure!!! Lol!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
lol I did that once when I was applying for a job on a cover letter. We all make mistakes and they know we're looking at multiple schools! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anywho--hi! I'm also interested in applying to this school! Still doing more research on it and other schools--gonna start getting very serious about this the next couple of days!

You have to talk to several people over the course of an hour (I can't remember how long it took exactly). Each person will ask you a question regarding an issue or topic. You have several minutes to respond before you move on to your next interviewer.

You have to talk to several people over the course of an hour (I can't remember how long it took exactly). Each person will ask you a question regarding an issue or topic. You have several minutes to respond before you move on to your next interviewer.

What kind of questions do they generally ask about? What if you have absolutely no idea about what they asked?? :O lol

What kind of questions do they generally ask about? What if you have absolutely no idea about what they asked?? :O lol
We had to sign an agreement that we wouldn't discuss the questions. The questions are made to bring out different characteristics in a person. They're looking at your critical thinking skills, moral and ethical thinking, and communication, among other things. There is no right or wrong answer...you just have to be able to provide an answer, justify it, and stick to it.

We had to sign an agreement that we wouldn't discuss the questions. The questions are made to bring out different characteristics in a person. They're looking at your critical thinking skills, moral and ethical thinking, and communication, among other things. There is no right or wrong answer...you just have to be able to provide an answer, justify it, and stick to it.

Gotcha, I understand! Thanks!

I'd like to apply here but I need more information. How are they in regards to education in exotic and wildlife veterinary medicine?

I didn't see on their website anything specifically mentioning wildlife. I do remember something about exotics. I may have not looked well enough! Please let me know so that I may take a better look if I missed it.

I'm thinking of applying here. I thought it was interesting to see that this school has lower stats for OOS than IS.. I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Not too much wildlife/exotics here, probably around average for vet schools. There are a few elective courses I think.

However, if you're really interested in pursuing wildlife/exotics, you're going to be getting most of your exposure from all the internships/externships you'll need to do in order to be competitive - much more so than school itself, anyway. It's one of the veterinary subdisciplines where networking and self-starting is really essential.

Does anyone know what the supplemental is like? Any details would be appreciated!

Based on what other students told me, there isn't much. However I would look into if there are any opportunities to work in Front Royal at the Smithsonian conservation biology institute.

I was able to visit SCBI two years ago during their open house in the fall (last year's got rained out) and they definitely have internship opportunities held specifically for fourth-year vet students. :) I don't think it's limited to VMCVM students specifically but being so close to the institute definitely helps!

Does anyone know what the supplemental is like? Any details would be appreciated!

If it's anything like last year it'll be two additional essays. If I remember correctly, the character limit is about half the length of the VMCAS personal statement.

I was able to visit SCBI two years ago during their open house in the fall (last year's got rained out) and they definitely have internship opportunities held specifically for fourth-year vet students. :) I don't think it's limited to VMCVM students specifically but being so close to the institute definitely helps!

If it's anything like last year it'll be two additional essays. If I remember correctly, the character limit is about half the length of the VMCAS personal statement.
Thank you!

I was just looking at this thread and saw this. I used this video to get started last year and it really really helped me. It's a practice question from an MMI medical school interview. The way the student responds is perfect and she thinks of literally every detail of the situation described. If I hadn't have seen this, I definitely would have approached the interviews much differently--probably less professionally.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang. That girl's answer is 10/10. If she didn't get into that school, I'd be shocked!

For their supplemental it says it needs to be completed in one sitting. Was that how it was last year? I was worried that there might be essays on there, since I would not be able to plan drafts or anything since once I start it, I cannot go back to it at a later time. I just want to make sure I'll at least be prepared to write essays in one sitting if that's the case. Thanks!

I believe it just means you can't save your work. I think it said the same thing my year. You can work on it for a while, you just have to write it in a word document and then copy and paste.

Okay, so you can look at it and then open it another time you think without saying your work? I just didn't want to start it and find out once I start I can't quit and open it again. I understand if it doesn't save, but I wanted to see what it entailed without having to submit it in one shot.
This is what the website says...
Note: The online application form must be completed in one sitting. You will not be able to save your online application to complete it at a later time.
Do you remember if this was how it was for you? Thanks for helping!

Okay, so you can look at it and then open it another time you think without saying your work? I just didn't want to start it and find out once I start I can't quit and open it again. I understand if it doesn't save, but I wanted to see what it entailed without having to submit it in one shot.
This is what the website says...
Note: The online application form must be completed in one sitting. You will not be able to save your online application to complete it at a later time.
Do you remember if this was how it was for you? Thanks for helping!

This is exactly what was stated last year. This just means you can't save it if you close it out and typed anything in it. You can go back it it as many times as needed.

This is exactly what was stated last year. This just means you can't save it if you close it out and typed anything in it. You can go back it it as many times as needed.

Okay thanks that helps! I was just afraid to start it/look at it and not be able to go back into it once I started it.

VA resident applying for the first time this year. I'm hoping to switch careers (only 24 but I graduated at 21) and do the job I've always wanted to do: be a vet! Hope to see lots of you at the interviews in January!

Hi All!
I'm a member of VMCVM Class of 2019 and I'm also a Student Ambassador for the school. If you guys have any doubts, I'll try my best to answer them. The application hasn't changed since I applied, but the curriculum now is different.
Good luck with the applications and You all got this!
:)

OOS from Georgia!

VMCAS application and GRE scores sent in last month, and I literally just submitted my supplemental!!
Now we wait...

In case some of y'all haven't started your supplemental application yet, I thought I'd let you know about the webinar I attended today. The Director of Admissions did a walk-thru of the admissions process for VA-MD and answered questions from people who were watching. I thought it was really helpful and would encourage anyone applying to VMCVM to attend the next one! She especially focused on things specific to their college and cleared up a lot of misnomers I had based on other people's experiences from other schools.

You need to open your account for the supplemental essay and pay the fee. Then, they will send you an email before the next webinar with a link and instructions. I think they said the next one is in a couple weeks. Hope this helps!

Does anyone know what the supplemental essay prompts are? I've been wanting to start on my supplemental, but haven't had a chance due to work. Trying to find a time I can sit down all day since you have to finish it all at once.

Does anyone know what the supplemental essay prompts are? I've been wanting to start on my supplemental, but haven't had a chance due to work. Trying to find a time I can sit down all day since you have to finish it all at once.

One is about resiliency and the other is about diversity. You can go back in it as many times as you want, it just won't save anything if you start to fill it out. You do have to pay first though. I thought I would have to submit it in one sitting as well, but I contacted them and found out you can go back to it.

Did anyone get the invite to the admissions webinar tomorrow? Just wondering because they were suppose to send out the login the day before (today) and I haven't received anything.

Hey everyone, I do not know where to log into the supplemental. I paid for it, but don't know how to log in to actually get to the supplemental. Can anyone show me the link or tell me how to get there? How many characters are each essay?

Hey everyone, I do not know where to log into the supplemental. I paid for it, but don't know how to log in to actually get to the supplemental. Can anyone show me the link or tell me how to get there? How many characters are each essay?
You should get an email after you pay with the info on how to make an account.

Also I think both were 4000 characters.

You should get an email after you pay with the info on how to make an account.

Also I think both were 4000 characters.

Found it!! Thank you !!

This diversity essay is killing me. Major writer's block! :arghh: Going to make myself sit down tomorrow and write this essay even if it takes all day.

This diversity essay is killing me. Major writer's block! :arghh: Going to make myself sit down tomorrow and write this essay even if it takes all day.

Dude, same. It's killing me. Hopefully you got it done! That's on my list to tweak again next before submitting.

I have a good essay for thus, but 4000 characters is a lot! What I want to write would be half of that.

The three essays (VMCAS and 2 supplementals) for VA-MD wore me out... I feel bad for those applying to other schools with even more essays! :vomit:

The three essays (VMCAS and 2 supplementals) for VA-MD wore me out... I feel bad for those applying to other schools with even more essays! :vomit:

Yup, a lot of schools and a lot of essays over here... :/

Yep I think I wrote 6 regular essays, one research paper, and about 2-3 small essays for this cycle. Exhausted! Lol