VA residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MdBrndPhrmcst

Keeping it real....
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about VA pharmacy practice residency? easy? hard? different in different settings? competitive to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP

I'm interested in learning about this as well

Members don't see this ad :)
me too i'm interested in this :D

I interviewed at the VA a couple weeks ago for their residency program, and although it was a beautiful facility (brand new computers in all the ICU rooms, the resident types electronic med orders into portable computers while rounding with the medical team, spacious office assigned to each resident), there were enough drawbacks to make it not for me. The residents were under a tremendous amount of pressure (much more than other residency programs it seemed) and when I said to the resident giving me the tour, "well, at least you're learning a lot, right?" she said that she's so stressed and busy trying to meet multiple deadlines for different projects, she doubted that she's retaining much new clinial knowledge. Interviewing at the VA made me reassess my goals for residency. I want to go somewhere where I can LEARN and not just be used as slave labor. When I asked what kind of hours they keep, the resident said she usually spends 14 or 16 hours a day at the hospital, and that it was typical of the residents to spend that kind of time there. :eek: To me, that's crazy. I've got a husband and kids and I want to see them from time to time! Also, staffing is an issue to look into. The VA I interviewed at required staffing every 3rd weekend, which is a lot in comparison to some other programs. Also, how much support is in place for residents? A residency is going to be a busy, stressful year no matter which way you look at it. All the residents I met at the VA were so burnt out, 8 months into the program they were looking pretty sad, desperate to get out and be done with it. I'm sure each hospital is different, but this was my impression of the VA I interviewed at.

not all VA's are created equal.. mind telling me what state this VA was in? you might be saving me from a year of hell since I applied to all VA programs..

I'd rather not say which VA this was...but I found that going through the interview process at each residency program gave me a pretty strong impression of each program and it wasn't too difficult to rank them. I think if you ask a lot of questions during the interview (after all, you're interviewing them just as much as they're interviewing you), you'll know which programs appeal to you.

I know several people who have done VA residencies and loved them. I interviewed for one and it wasn't for me... although I didn't end up applying for any residency with anyone.If you want to be someone's drone for a year, but the job you want requires a residency, then the VA is as good a place as any. Just interview with lots of residencies to get a good feel for the differences.

If you want to do an easy residency, then you just waste your time and "money" (considered as lost opportunity of $65,000; getting $35,000-stifend instead of $100,000 salary).

Residency helps train you to be a competent clinical pharmacist. You are able to do many different things as a good clinical pharmacist does everyday. Yes, there are many deadlines to meet but you will learn to manage your time efficiently. If you think you can devote most of your time and effort for the residency, then you should do it. Otherwise, it is just another year of frustration for you. Doing residency is not for fun, though, believe me. Take your final clinical year in pharmacy school and double or triple up the workload; at least it gives you an idea of how busy the residency is.

Please tell me a pharmacy resident who could say that he/she is NOT burnt out. If that resident says so, he/she is lying. It is TRUE that you will have a "busy, stressful year no matter which way you look at it". Some hospitals, not the VA though, require their residents to staff at least 32 hours a month. Go figure! How many weekends?