vasodilator of choice in aortic dissection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the last guidelines I could find (2010) - and they said that nipride is the vasodilator of choice when beta blockade alone is insufficient to lower SBP to 100-110. In practice we use nicardipine the vast majority of the time, one reason is to avoid cyanide toxicitity. Does anyone know of updated guidelines?

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason I was thinking lisinopril was what I've seen used
I left out some info - I was referring to emergency room treatment, basically when we are buying time to get the patient to the OR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe using nitroprusside OR nicardipine OR fenoldapam PLUS and IV B-blocker (labetalol or esmolol) are all appropriate depending on what's on formulary and such

I believe using nitroprusside OR nicardipine OR fenoldapam PLUS and IV B-blocker (labetalol or esmolol) are all appropriate depending on what's on formulary and such
I generally have used nicardipine (fenoldapam is rarely used here) if the beta blocker is not enough. (FYI - always always always use the bete blocker, even if the HR is 65!