VCOM (Carolina) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am coming from the Savannah, Georgia area and am staying at the Comfort Suites Hotel! What about you?

I'm coming from Miami and I'm also staying at the Comfort Suites Hotel!!
I will see you there!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview coming up and I was wondering if anyone that has interviewed already with a low MCAT score could shed some light on their experience. Should I expect them to question me based on my MCAT score?

Last edited:
I have an interview coming up and I was wondering if anyone that has interviewed already with a low MCAT score could shed some light on their experience. Should I expect them to question me based on my MCAT score?

cgpa: 3.8

sgpa: 3.7

MCAT: 23
I had a MCAT score similar to yours and yes they did question the score but I got accepted so apparently they were more interested in other things. Dont sweat it.

Thanks for your reply. How did you approach explaining a low MCAT score without making it sound like you were trying to make up excuses. I'm n

Also are you a resident of an Appalachian state? I am from the Midwest which I'm hoping doesn't hurt me too much.

Last edited:
Also are you a resident of an Appalachian state? I am from the Midwest which I'm hoping doesn't hurt me too much.

I am from Ohio, living in Philly now, with a similar MCAT score and still interviewed here. As long as you have great EC's you should be fine. During your interviews just explain what happened with you MCAT, don't make excuses for them, and prove to them that you have more qualities that will define you as a physician, not just MCAT scores. Hope this helps and good luck!

In the interview she said 30 days from the date on the acceptance letter.

Does anyone know what the deadline is for paying the deposit to hold your spot after being accepted?

On my acceptance letter their was a deadline date. Im not sure if it's the same for everyone, but my date was December 14th.

Has anyone from yesterdays interview heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
when did they say you'll hear by?

They told us the committee meets today and that we we know today or tomorrow. I'm so anxious!

Ros, I think I friend requested you on FB, I gave you and D. the ride :)

They told us the committee meets today and that we we know today or tomorrow. I'm so anxious!

I've been waiting all day for the phone call....but I guess tomorrow is the big day!!!
I can't wait....I'm so nervous!

me too!!! I hope I can sleep tonight. But I better not get myself too worked up in case I don't get in, it won't be too shocking. I hope we all get in though and will be classmates together!

Hey I just accepted the request :)! and of course I know you did...lol! I am extremely anxious!! :scared:

me too!!! I hope I can sleep tonight. But I better not get myself too worked up in case I don't get in, it won't be too shocking. I hope we all get in though and will be classmates together!

I know I hope I can sleep too!!! and you just have to stay positive! It would be awesome if we were all classmates! Good luck!!!

congratulations to everyone that's been accepted! I have an interview next week hopefully I'll be joining you soon!!

Hey all,

After much careful deliberation, I've decided to come to Spartanburg next year! It's a great place and I look forward to seeing you all in August!

Accepted!! Can't wait to meet everyone in August. Does anyone plan on going to Accepted Students Day in April??

Accepted!! Can't wait to meet everyone in August. Does anyone plan on going to Accepted Students Day in April??

I got accepted too!!! I am def going!!! Congrats!!!

Does anyone know if they work with you on the deposit? $1500 is just a lot to come up with in 30 days by yourself!

Does anyone know if they work with you on the deposit? $1500 is just a lot to come up with in 30 days by yourself!

No I don't know, I would write an email to Mattie asking her.

Last edited:
If I interview this coming Monday. When can I expect to find out if I was accepted?

If I interview this coming Monday. When can I expect to find out if I was accepted?

Chances are that Wednesday or Thursday, but they will let you know the day of the interview. The admissions committee meets on Wednesdays. :)

Last edited:
tuesday 12/6.. when's yours?

Monday, the 5th. Good luck!

Chances are that Wednesday or Thursday, but they will let you know the day of the interview. The admissions committee meets on Wednesdays.

I interview on the 5th, and a friend who was accepted there today told me that the adcom won't be meeting again until the week after, ie the 12th.

I just declined my acceptance earlier today. Hope one of you all get my seat. Best of luck to you all!

I just got the call and I was accepted!!!! They said something about a conditional acceptance. That I must have a 3.5 on my semester transcript... Is this something they tell everyone? I'm thinking maybe it's because my MCAT was so low and they accepted me on the basis of GPA.. Now I'm freaking out about my Fall semester grades.

Congrats!! I was so excited, I can barely remember the content of the conversation. I also barely slept so that didn't help. Did they mention anything about keeping a specific GPA to you or was that something specific to me? Also, do we just wait for information in the mail to proceed. This was my first choice. God, why didn't I pay more attention to what he was actually saying hahaha.

Withdrew this morning. I loved this school. I just couldn't justify the price tag. Good luck, everyone!

Congrats!! I was so excited, I can barely remember the content of the conversation. I also barely slept so that didn't help. Did they mention anything about keeping a specific GPA to you or was that something specific to me? Also, do we just wait for information in the mail to proceed. This was my first choice. God, why didn't I pay more attention to what he was actually saying hahaha.

Haha, I barely remember it either. I didn't get home from work until 5am, so I was still in bed when I got the call this morning. They were nice enough to track down a friend of mine who goes to school there to come to the office and make the call while they were all on speaker phone. I was pretty much speechless, and still am. lol

Corey got on the phone afterwards and said they were going to mail a package with more information, but that's about all I remember. This was far and above my first choice too.

I didn't get the GPA conditional acceptance despite having a moderately low GPA, but I did decent on the MCAT, and working almost full time while completing my bachelors probably helped with my gpa issue.

Anyone else interviewing on Jan 17?

Also, anyone else who has been interviewed/accepted mind giving me a heads up about the interview? Basically what I need to be prepared to answer? I don't want to get asked a question that I'm not prepared to answer such as any heavy ethical questions?

Anyone else interviewing on Jan 17?

Also, anyone else who has been interviewed/accepted mind giving me a heads up about the interview? Basically what I need to be prepared to answer? I don't want to get asked a question that I'm not prepared to answer such as any heavy ethical questions?

I was pretty nervous about my interview, despite being told by friends who both attend there and friends who have been accepted this cycle that the interviews are very relaxed. Trust me when I say you have nothing to worry about. From the moment I sat down with my first interviewer, it was completely laid back. I'm sure it depends on who you interview with, but I wasn't asked a single ethical/situational question. It was basically like a long conversation about my journey to that moment. I have some interesting ECs, and all we did for all three interviews was talked about stuff that I've done. One interviewer asked about a bad semester I had way back during my first go-round with college in 2002, and that was about all she asked about grade-wise. After that, it was smooth sailing, no different than any other conversation with a person you just met.

With that said, it will all depend on who you interview with. Be prepared for the common ethical/situational questions, but don't freak out about it because chances are you won't be asked. Just know where you stand on the big issues, and have reasons for your opinions. Be honest too.

I literally thought we were about 10 minutes into each interview when the interviewers started wrapping things up. Turns out we had been chatting for 30.

Good luck. You're gonna love the school!

Last edited:
Hey, does anyone know if this school does 'soft' rejections? I haven't heard a squeak, and I'm guessing I'm out, but I'm wondering if they'll just not ever send me anything and that's how I'll know they 'rejected' me...

When did you interview? From what Mattie said, they call those accepted the day after the adcom meets. They met yesterday, and those of us who interviewed last week received the acceptance phone call today.

Alright, I just sent off my secondary to VCOM. Here is my breakdown:

Living in NC currently (from Alaska)
MCAT= 24M (8,8,8)
sGPA= 3.17
GPA= 3.14
Completed Biochem through UNE and will complete another upper division science course by August.
2000+ hours of volunteering
Phlebotomist *(employer wrote me a stellar reference letter)

What do you recently accepted and current VCOM students think? Do you think I might be offered an interview? Oh, I might mention I had to put myself through college and thus worked to pay for every semester of undergrad. What are your thoughts? I know that this school is big on mission to the undeserved and my application is peppered with that basically everywhere. To those who might like chime in, what do you love about this brand new school in SC?

Thanks in advance.

I interview at VCOM-CC on Feb 1st. :) Anyone else interviewing on that date?

When did you send in your secondary? Congratulations on your interview!!!

Ok I am seeking help from my fellow SDN members who are in the 2015 class. First I am an OOS, and not from appalachian area. Second my undergrad cGPA is a 3.49 and my sGPA is a 3.4. I would like to point out that both GPAs are signifacantly higher if you remove my freshmen year (both around 3.6). This was bc I transfered to another school and started to work harder in my studies. My MCAT is low at a 22 but I am retaking it in Aug. Finally, I am going to spend this year in a Biomedical graduate program.

Is it worth applying here or will I be screened out once they receive my primary? Thanks for any and all advice, and good luck to everyone!

You are borderline at best with those stats. If your GPA was higher, then it might off set your low MCAT. But, schools don't just look at the numbers. Right a killer personal statement, don't make excuses for your low grades freshman year, but be sure to highlight the fact that your grades increased because of your maturity and strong work ethic. I don't think you will be automatically screened out, especially if you are able to do what I mentioned above. But, you will have a tough road to acceptance.

You are not a shoo-in by any means, but don't let this ^ reply scare you off.

VCOM-Carolinas Class of 2015 had an average cGPA of 3.61 and an average sGPA of 3.55. You're in the ballpark--about a tenth of a point away from the averages.

I just saw the MCAT of 22. VCOM-Carolinas has an average of 25O--again, you're below average, but in the ballpark.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/admissions/profile-2015-carolinas.html

Last edited:
Hi all, congratulations! Can't wait to meet everyone in April/August!