VCOM-CC Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBJ1014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have info on the new campus? I am so excited to apply here but not finding a whole lot of info...

Members don't see this ad.

Go to their website, or google VCOM Wafford South Carolina.

it is the same setup as the VT campus, with the university supporting it, which I think is really smart.

They did botch tho whole banding of the school though.... Instead of "EVCOM Virginia and EVCOM Carolina" they get a whole bunch of confusion that they need to fix soon.

How does admissions work for the two VCOM campuses? On the AACOMA application you can only select one. The PDF File on AACOM says you can only submit an application to one campus, but it does not mean you can't be considered for both.

I'm not from the area, so I was wondering about the differences between the two campuses/areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very excited that there is a new school.
I will be applying there.

Does anyone know the essays on the secondary yet?

thanks!

Does anyone know the essays on the secondary yet?

thanks!

I just got the secondary yesterday; here are the essays questions in the application...I didn't think they would ask more than one question, but they did, haha...have fun

Please answer the following questions and limit your response to one-half page.

What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college?

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

VCOM CC has the same as VCOM policy regarding DO LOR's I assume?

I just got the secondary yesterday; here are the essays questions in the application...I didn't think they would ask more than one question, but they did, haha...have fun

Please answer the following questions and limit your response to one-half page.

What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college?

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

Thanks for sharing. Did you get it in the mail or via email? Also, when was your aacomas submitted to the school? I'm getting paranoid that they won't send me a secondary. :laugh:

the supplemental comes via email. It was the first one i received if i remember correctly. I'm not sure if they screen applicants ahead of time or not.

Their website says "Please be advised, VCOM screens applications before sending the invitation to submit the Secondary Application and not all applicants will receive the invitation. "

Their website says "Please be advised, VCOM screens applications before sending the invitation to submit the Secondary Application and not all applicants will receive the invitation. "

That's what worries me. I'm really interested in this school, but my stats are off. My gpa is too low. I'm 3.33/33S. All 3's.

That's what worries me. I'm really interested in this school, but my stats are off. My gpa is too low. I'm 3.33/33S. All 3's.

wow, ur MCAT is amazing and your gpa is not that low, it's a B+ average. How is your sgpa?

I think you shouldn't worry because i would think that you should earn at least one acceptance this cycle.

Good luck!

the supplemental comes via email. It was the first one i received if i remember correctly. I'm not sure if they screen applicants ahead of time or not.

They do screen. I had a friend receive an email from them stating he was not gonna be getting a secondary from vcom. Supposedly the reason was the science gpa wasnt high enough. Weird part is mine isnt all that stellar and I received a secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do screen. I had a friend receive an email from them stating he was not gonna be getting a secondary from vcom. Supposedly the reason was the science gpa wasnt high enough. Weird part is mine isnt all that stellar and I received a secondary.

That stinks. =( Mind sharing what his science gpa was?

I applied and I didnt get a secondary as well. They sent me an email sayin that they want to see my newer mcat score

I received the pending review email on 6/30. How long did you guys who received secondaries have to wait for them after receiving this email? I'm thinking I've probably been screened out already....:(

I received my secondary 2 days after the "your aacomas application has been received" email from VCOM. I also have a science gpa below 3.2 so they must take other factors into account when screening for secondaries.

Does anybody know how long it takes VCOM to give out interviews after they receive the secondaries?

I heard they was not going to do it until September

I heard they was not going to do it until September

as long as the don't interview till sept. I'll be happy. I live 1300 miles from blacksburg, but I attend college about 50 miles from vcom. It would make a possible interview a lot more affordable.

Hey, does anyone know if it is okay to include statistics for the question regarding the state of healthcare in the United Stated? I am debating whether or not to use them because I am not sure if the school would want to know my source...:confused:

Hey, does anyone know if it is okay to include statistics for the question regarding the state of healthcare in the United Stated? I am debating whether or not to use them because I am not sure if the school would want to know my source...:confused:

In my opinion (which as you well know by this point in the application process is not the only one), I would try to stay away from too many quantitative responses. I look at it this way....by this point, they have looked at your sGPA, cGPA, MCAT scores, and so on. The point of a secondary is really to find out if your personality molds well with the school's. The next step would be to see if during your interview you express yourself in the same manner as you did in your application. So in summary, while you want to sound knowledgable in your responses, you want to also make yourself stand out as an individual. Hope that helps, good luck!

I just got an email stating that they are not offering me an interview now and they are placing me on hold so they must be starting to offer interviews

Interview! September 16th!!!!

Is anyone planning on attending the open house on 9/25?

Have alot of people gotten interviews here? This is one of my top choices but I haven't heard anything yet :/

Hey.. I applied to the early admission track as well and I haven't heard anything from VCOM.
I know of only 2 students who received an Interview for Sept 16th- NC campus. I don't know if they applied for early or regular admission track.
I am really tired of waiting on them.. Its Sept 2nd already and I haven't heard any thing from this school. Its been a month I turned in my secondary application...
JD

Hey.. I applied to the early admission track as well and I haven't heard anything from VCOM.
I know of only 2 students who received an Interview for Sept 16th- NC campus. I don't know if they applied for early or regular admission track.
I am really tired of waiting on them.. Its Sept 2nd already and I haven't heard any thing from this school. Its been a month I turned in my secondary application...
JD
i guess they were in EDP.
They have not yet started sending the regular interview invites yet.

Did everyone who applied get the invite for the open house? Or only select people? I'm trying to gauge how important it is for me to go.

Im EDP and I haven't heard anything from vcom yet, but I did get the open house email.

Did everyone who applied get the invite for the open house? Or only select people? I'm trying to gauge how important it is for me to go.

I think its a automated message, so all the students who are interested in VCOM might have received the open house email...

I applied EDP and have been invited for an interview. I didn't get the open house email. I'm heading to interview on September 16th!!

I applied EDP and have been invited for an interview. I didn't get the open house email. I'm heading to interview on September 16th!!

All the best.

thanks

If you are put on hold what are the chances that you will still get in for the 2015 class? Any thoughts?:confused:

I was on hold and just got off on Wednesday this past week for an interview next month

For everyone thats been interviewed/accepted so far, did you all turn in a letter from a DO? I know it says were supposed to have one, but I am just wondering if they would be lenient if the rest of your application is strong???

For everyone thats been interviewed/accepted so far, did you all turn in a letter from a DO? I know it says were supposed to have one, but I am just wondering if they would be lenient if the rest of your application is strong???

Yep. DO LOR.

Hey there everyone! Hope yall are having a great day! Just a quick question.. On the secondary app, the question about 5 qualities that enhance the climate--did you explain how the qualities would enhance the climate or just list the qualities.. its limited space so I don't know if I need to explain or what....

Hey there everyone! Hope yall are having a great day! Just a quick question.. On the secondary app, the question about 5 qualities that enhance the climate--did you explain how the qualities would enhance the climate or just list the qualities.. its limited space so I don't know if I need to explain or what....

Briefly explain.

got my interview invite last week! going to be there in late november...any tips/feedback?

good luck everyone!