VCOM Class of 2013!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey is there anyone else out there starting their quest for vcom class of 2013???!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have actually thought about applying. Do you know if there is a dress code or set schedule for classes each day? Do you know anything about the housing market in VA? Thanks

Hey this is awesome. im excited you replied. well there is a dress code which is basically business casual, no jeans, tang tops, "flirty" attire, sneakers, or open toed sandals. There is a set schedule of classes each day. the four year curriculum is actually broken down into a block schedule. In the first block classes are over earlier than the rest of the first year to allow more time to adjust to the work load. I dont know any real specifics about the housing market but I do know that there are plently of options for housing available to both undergraduates and graduates around the area from Roanoke, Blacksburg, and Christiansburg. I really havent focused to much on deciding what housing I want to look at just yet. I don't want to go to far in until I know a decision from the committee.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to VCOM late in the year for the class of 2012, but instead got accepted early-admissions for the class of 2013. When I went on my interview in March, I absolutely fell in love!

I did not see any students dressed "business casual". They were in comfortable clothes (some were in sweat shirts and pants). Did they change their requirements?

hey MuffinMania and everyone else....congratulations on your acceptance to VCOM.

there is a dress code and u have to dress "professionally" according to their policy. When you interviewed, u probably came during exam week and during that week, we were allowed to wear whatever we want (pajamas will do), but on regular class days, u have to dress nicely (no jeans, etc). Its something you will get used to it. I wasnt a fan of it when i started, but i got used to it and the medical stuff like it very much and regard you highly.

hope this helps.

hey long time since started this but todays the big day...waiting for the call with fingers crossed for the good news. i interviewed on Monday so...:)

It's official ...I am in the class of 2013!!!!! I found 30min after initial post but ive been so wired forgot to come back..lol

thanks bunches amy

Thanks for your reply Simpleman! I don't mind business casual. I think dress pants are more comfortable than jeans anyway!

Guys, I interviewed today and was thoroughly impressed (still can't get over the anatomy lab). However, if accepted I face a predicament that I'd like some of your weigh-in on. The fin. aid office told us that they will not approve over a total indebtedness of $265,000. I go to a private university and have debt lying around. Is this a steadfast rule that can't be changed or is there leeway? For those of you that did private educations, what are you going to do?

I'm so happy to be able to post this: I will be joining the class of 2013!! YAY!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so happy to be able to post this: I will be joining the class of 2013!! YAY!

Congratulations Vita....welcome to the VCOM/VT community!!! you will love it here!!

congrats Vita!! i was wondering if this thread was ever going to start flowing..but i did start it pretty early.. i am soooo in love with vcom and cant wait to start!!!!

Well whatever you decide Bacchus, congrats anyways!!!:)

Anyone else coming to VCOM next year?

Did you recently join the facebook group for the class of 2013/friend me? There was someone who friended me who went to Nova, so I figure it might be you.

And Yes - I'm going to be there. Of course, I already posted that before...I'm just really excited about it still. :love:

Vita, Ya I joined the thread, we need to recruit ! And yes I went to NSU.

Hhhmmm crickets crickets...this page is mighty quiet

I bet the thread will be hopping again right before we all head out for orientation.

In other news, they recieved my deposit yesterday afternoon, so I am officially going to VCOM. YAY!

Congrats congrats..i will be sending my deposit in next week so it will be fun to get the official email account and be a part of the family...such a sweet sweet feeling to actually be fulfilling what your true passion..surreal:love:

You wont regret it if you chose VCOM.... :love:

I hate to be agrumentive, especially since I have gotten to know you, Amy. But everyday I regret my decision more and more. The admissions people know how to do their job well.

^^ With days like today I agree! haha. But in general VCOM is a great school!

I hate to be agrumentive, especially since I have gotten to know you, Amy. But everyday I regret my decision more and more. The admissions people know how to do their job well.

Well before I can answer this reply, can I ask you what is wrong? Classes? Profs? work load? ect.......

^^ With days like today I agree! haha. But in general VCOM is a great school!

yeah, what happened? i agree, sometimes, there are rough days, but that happens at every school you go to!

VCOM is a great school and I love it here, despite of the surprises everybody gets....

VCOM class 2013, dont let a single comment make you think twice about a school or astray you away from here....sometimes, it gets frustrating to some students just b/c of workload and other internal factors. VCOM is an awesome place and you will love it here. Take this from a second yr who loved 1st yr and is content with his performance thus far at VCOM....

let me know if there is anything i could be of any help! and this is also targeted towards 2012 students...

yeah, what happened? i agree, sometimes, there are rough days, but that happens at every school you go to!

VCOM is a great school and I love it here, despite of the surprises everybody gets....

VCOM class 2013, dont let a single comment make you think twice about a school or astray you away from here....sometimes, it gets frustrating to some students just b/c of workload and other internal factors. VCOM is an awesome place and you will love it here. Take this from a second yr who loved 1st yr and is content with his performance thus far at VCOM....

let me know if there is anything i could be of any help! and this is also targeted towards 2012 students...

At that point in my med school career, I would have totally agreed with you.
Amy, that is a valid question but one I am not comfortable answering on-line

At that point in my med school career, I would have totally agreed with you.
Amy, that is a valid question but one I am not comfortable answering on-line

well, PM me if you wanna talk about it and if u need any pointers or anything....just name it and i will offer advice to the best of my abilities. Believe me, its ok to speak out ur concerns. Let me know buddy :thumbup:

I would just like to reiterate how much I DO enjoy it here at VCOM. Yes sometimes there are tough weeks, and some of us take it better than others. But Blacksburg is a great place be while in med school and we have some really great professors here as well.

One thing that I really like (may be controversial) is that we start our clinically relevant education VERY early. It makes med school really interesting and easy to study. I know students from other schools that say "second year is harder but more fun because you get to do more 'doctorly' stuff". We get to "do doctorly stuff" basically right away. We mesh basic science and clinical medicine from almost day 1.

Within the last week we had a great lecture on hemorrhagic shock from a EM doc, and some really interesting lectures on hemoglobinopathies and transfusion reactions from other clinicians as well.

VCOM is a lot of fun, and while our schedule may be a bit unpredictable I still love it. We spread the curriculum out throughout the year so our days aren't "too long" and we have frequent breaks to prevent burnout.

If anyone thinking about coming to vcom for the class of 2013 has any questions I would be happy to answer them as well.

I also want to just say when reading this thread it seems like "the issues" basically a few lectures being moved around seems much worse than it is. When I reread this thread I realized that an outsider would read this and think way to far into it. Everything here is going fine- sure we have some disgruntled students- find me a med school that doesn't.

Last edited:
Hey all, I am currently a proud member of the VCOM Class of 2013 and have been for a few months. I need help/advice on where to stay. Does anyone need a roommate or know someone who might? So far, I have looked into: Smith's Landing, The Crossing at Knollwood, Knollwood, and Cedarfield. I am hoping to have housing assured within the next couple of weeks!! Need some advice!!

Congrats you guys! Best of luck:)

I found out today that I got in!!! YAY!!!

Now I need to think about housing and how I am going to pay for all this!!

I found out today that I got in!!! YAY!!!

Now I need to think about housing and how I am going to pay for all this!!
I have been looking at housing too!! Do you want to look in to a place together perhaps?? Just curious!!

I have been looking at housing too!! Do you want to look in to a place together perhaps?? Just curious!!

That is a possibility! Also, I saw on the VCOM 2013 facebook group that if you email megan she will put you on a listserver that has to do with your roommate preferences! I am going to email her tomorrow about it!

Congratulations to all you incoming students! Med school can be a great experience and you've made a solid choice in VCOM. I'm a 4th year student (graduating in May!) and I've noticed many of you asking about housing options in Blacksburg/Christiansburg. Well, I'm selling my townhouse and thought I'd throw this option out there for you:
Three bedroom, 2.5 bathroom townhouse. Approximately 1,200 sq ft w/ additional ~600 sq ft in partially finished basement. Other features include: gas fireplace in living room, ceramic tile in kitchen and bathrooms, Brinks Home Security System installed, 2 wooden decks, off-street parking, quiet neighborhood with many VCOMers on the same street (great for support). I live an easy 8 minute drive from VCOM. Also, conveniently located <1mi from the Christiansburg Recreation Center (which you get a membership to as a resident of Christiansburg) and <1mi from a grocery store. For a young couple, small family or someone looking for a roommate or two -- this townhouse has it all over apartment living! $167,000
Check out the picture!
Feel free to contact me for more info... send me a private message and I'll send you my contact information. Thanks and again congrats & good luck at VCOM!

Attachments

• townhouse (2).bmp
    193 KB · Views: 339
So, apparently I can't "advertise" in this forum -- so I'm gonna re-post it under the free classifieds (Housing).

Selling: VCOM (Christiansburg, VA): Townhouse

Check it out... again, sorry for posting in the wrong area.

So, apparently I can't "advertise" in this forum -- so I'm gonna re-post it under the free classifieds (Housing).

Selling: VCOM (Christiansburg, VA): Townhouse

Check it out... again, sorry for posting in the wrong area.

It is allowed to advertise housing in teh individual class threads if it is in that town. :)

Just sent my deposit and background check in! :) I can't wait for August! Does anyone know the exact start date or the date of the white coat ceremony?

Hello all,

This is my first post, but I'll be joining you all at VCOM in August. I'm looking into apartments and was hoping for some feedback from those already there. I have a beagle, so I need a pet-friendly place.I'm specifically looking at Cedarfield, Foxridge, and Ridgewood Village. How long does it take from these complexes to the school? 5-10 min?

Also, I doubt anyone can answer this, but maybe! Cedarfield says dogs must be neutered and mine is not. Do you think they would be strict about this?

Thanks!

Hello all,

This is my first post, but I'll be joining you all at VCOM in August. I'm looking into apartments and was hoping for some feedback from those already there. I have a beagle, so I need a pet-friendly place.I'm specifically looking at Cedarfield, Foxridge, and Ridgewood Village. How long does it take from these complexes to the school? 5-10 min?

Also, I doubt anyone can answer this, but maybe! Cedarfield says dogs must be neutered and mine is not. Do you think they would be strict about this?

Thanks!

well, all those apt complexes you mentioned are porbably 5-10mins away, not more!!!! I live in TerraceView but I have been to the above mentioned apt complexes before to my firends' house and i must say, i really like the Foxridge apts! plus they got all these extra amenities which are really nice... i would look into it

regarding the neutering issue, i have no clue...

WELCOME TO VCOM! :D

Another acceptee for 2013!! So excited!! Can't wait.:D

congrats everyone !!! :D Med school is rough but worth it in the end. I'm an OMS II now. Any specific questions feel free to ask me about the area or housing (i live in crossing at knollwood). When I was looking at apartments i looked at hethwood (this is the graduate apartments at foxridge), and cedarfield so i can give feedback on those. Good luck to anyone still applying.

Hello to everyone. I have been lurking around SDN religiously for months now, however, this is my first time posting. I am a non-trad finishing my B.S. in Biomedical Sciences. Possibly pursuing Navy medicine through HPSP or post-residency depending on financial aid options.
During the last four years I have been researching medical schools near and far and VCOM is by far the best-fit school for me. I have fallen in love with the school and the locale and I am thrilled that I may have an opportunity to join you in the class of 2013!
My file is complete as of today and I should receive their decision about an interview within the next few weeks. I know it is late in the process but I remain hopeful. Best wishes and good luck to those of you awaiting interviews and acceptance notices. I hope to meet you all soon.
Also, thank you moderators and posters for the many excellent posts and answers to questions that many of us pre-meds share during this process. This site is a real blessing.

Hello to everyone. I have been lurking around SDN religiously for months now, however, this is my first time posting. I am a non-trad finishing my B.S. in Biomedical Sciences. Possibly pursuing Navy medicine through HPSP or post-residency depending on financial aid options.
During the last four years I have been researching medical schools near and far and VCOM is by far the best-fit school for me. I have fallen in love with the school and the locale and I am thrilled that I may have an opportunity to join you in the class of 2013!
My file is complete as of today and I should receive their decision about an interview within the next few weeks. I know it is late in the process but I remain hopeful. Best wishes and good luck to those of you awaiting interviews and acceptance notices. I hope to meet you all soon.
Also, thank you moderators and posters for the many excellent posts and answers to questions that many of us pre-meds share during this process. This site is a real blessing.

I am a MSII in the NAVY HPSP, if you have any questions, PM me and i will guide you to the right direction. I am so happy to be in the Navy...they have been treating me well!! any other questions, shoot my way.

I have been invited for an interview! I got the phone call this afternoon and I can hardly wait for the big day. I will let everyone know how it goes.