Program-Specific Info / Q's VCU OTD supplemental app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calling4color

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

I emailed VCU because there was some confusion with the supplemental application. I was wondering if anybody else had this same issue! I found two different links for the application that needs to be filled out in addition to the otcas application, one has a link to create a VCU graduate application which says it needs to be filled out in addition to otcas, the other has a link that says supplemental which also says it needs to be filled out in addition to otcas. I was confused because I am not sure which one they truly accept as the supplemental app, but I paid the fee and submitted it- I am waiting for a reply back from them!
Also, who else applied for their OTD!!

Members don't see this ad.

I could have sworn the VCU OTD page said to go to the VCU Graduate School page and complete an app there- which I did, and paid $65...now it says "supplemental app" and to go to that link, and I filled it out and paid again! I think they just changed the webpage....anyways, I'm calling to see which is correct and if I can get my first payment back.

Members don't see this ad :)
@mic1057813 Did VCU get back to you about which supplemental application to complete? I also believe I completed the VCU Grad School page app, and am now seeing this other supplemental app.

Also, for this new supplemental app, did you list all of the colleges you attended, or just the one where you received your Bachelor's degree? I attended a few schools to complete prereqs, so I'm not sure if I need to enter all of them or not.

I'm also having trouble with some of my schools not being listed in the system here, and the application portal won't let me move forward until I enter the college code for these schools. However, I can't find the college code since the school isn't listed....so I basically can't submit my application at this point. Anyone else having this issue? I called but haven't received a call back yet and would really like to finish this!

I just called and spoke with them and tried to explain this issue- she didn't seem to get it, BUT she said they had my VCU Grad school app from October, (and the OTCAS app) and that was what they needed. She didn't seem to get that the Supplemental App they have linked on their page now is different....she said she would look into it. I would advise calling or emailing, but for you @WillBeOT you should be fine. I'm sure as they get more confused students they will need to figure this out...

And on that new supplemental app, I only put my Bachelors college, I should have put the community colleges where I did my prereqs...oh well, I hope it doesn't matter since it's really for tuition purposes. Still no idea how to get the second $65 back...

@mic1057813 thanks for the info! I actually just got a call back...so apparently only the new supplemental app is necessary to complete. The one where you create a pin and check off that this is an OTCAS supplemental app (link on the otd info page). You also only need to put in your bachelors degree university. Hope that helps!

Ok well that makes no sense since they told me the first one I did was fine, and they had my info from the VCU grad school app...so did you end up doing both and paying 65 twice? I'm also worried that since I didn't turn the supplemental in till today it will affect the early decision status for me...but they reassured me I was fine, I'll probably call back tomorrow though!

I was told to call and let them know if you paid twice and they will work it out for you. I wound up paying twice to send my GRE scores since initially they wanted them sent directly to the school and then they later changed it to be sent to OTCAS, so that's a bummer. Hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end for us! Good luck!

Sweet thank you, I'll call and figure it out! I'm really hoping it's worth it, I love VCU (undergrad) and its my top. Let me know if you hear anything about acceptances!

I could have sworn the VCU OTD page said to go to the VCU Graduate School page and complete an app there- which I did, and paid $65...now it says "supplemental app" and to go to that link, and I filled it out and paid again! I think they just changed the webpage....anyways, I'm calling to see which is correct and if I can get my first payment back.

hey sorry i didnt get back sooner! thats what happened to me- I emailed them & made my email very clear-with the links and everything. They said both are fine for the supplemental app and its just to gather basic information and collect the fee . As long as you filled out one of them and paid one $65 fee you're good to go! but yes, i believe the links did change as well! but its all good!

Yeah I need to figure out how to get the 65 back...I feel dumb. But thanks!! Good luck.

Heads up for anyone applying to VCU!

I went to their information session over the summer and found out they already filled up their class by 10 people since they over-accepted people last year. They coped with this by asking 10 people to defer their acceptance to this year so that they could be part of the first doctorate level graduating class. So there are unfortunately less spots available than usual, which means the odds of anyone being accepted have been lowered a bit :/

Heads up for anyone applying to VCU!

I went to their information session over the summer and found out they already filled up their class by 10 people since they over-accepted people last year. They coped with this by asking 10 people to defer their acceptance to this year so that they could be part of the first doctorate level graduating class. So there are unfortunately less spots available than usual, which means the odds of anyone being accepted have been lowered a bit :/

hey do you know if they are raising the number of people in their fall class since they had to add the 10 who deferred their acceptances? Thats annoying!! =(

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that makes me really mad. It doesn't seem fair.
I hope that applying early decision gives me an advantage though. Did any of you guys apply early? (I believe it's binding).

I applied early just to get my application in, not for early decision- my GRES are definitely not competitive enough!

Maybe you guys can chance me for VCU? I haven't posted on the stickied main thread or anything...
University: VCU
Major: Psychology with University Honors
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V- 160, Q-149, A-4.5

Briefly-
Extracurriculars- VCU Honors College, VCU Emerging Leaders Program, VCU SGA various positions, Honors Summer Undergraduate Research Program, Research Assistant/Lab Supervisor for Psych lab on campus among other things

Shadowing- 50 hours in a hand clinic, pediatric setting, and children's home for disabled children. Don't have a crazy amount of hours but I finished my Bachelors in three years and didn't have much time for shadowing :/

I've only applied to VCU and Mary Baldwin so far, and I interview at Mary Baldwin next Friday! SO nervous.

hey do you know if they are raising the number of people in their fall class since they had to add the 10 who deferred their acceptances? Thats annoying!! =(
Wow, that makes me really mad. It doesn't seem fair.
I hope that applying early decision gives me an advantage though. Did any of you guys apply early? (I believe it's binding).

Yup, everyone at the information session jaw's dropped when she said that. They aren't adding anymore spots this year, they're just going to be more careful about not over-accepting again...ugh. I also applied early, but didn't apply "early decision" because it was binding and Richmond isn't my favorite place (even though the program is great) so I was torn. But your odds of getting in are much higher if you commit to their early decision process! They told us that only 8 people applied for early decision last year and 5 of them were admitted right away. 2 were wait listed until regular decision, but eventually received acceptances. So only one person who applied early decision didn't get in last year :)

Maybe you guys can chance me for VCU? I haven't posted on the stickied main thread or anything...
University: VCU
Major: Psychology with University Honors
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V- 160, Q-149, A-4.5

Briefly-
Extracurriculars- VCU Honors College, VCU Emerging Leaders Program, VCU SGA various positions, Honors Summer Undergraduate Research Program, Research Assistant/Lab Supervisor for Psych lab on campus among other things

Shadowing- 50 hours in a hand clinic, pediatric setting, and children's home for disabled children. Don't have a crazy amount of hours but I finished my Bachelors in three years and didn't have much time for shadowing :/

I've only applied to VCU and Mary Baldwin so far, and I interview at Mary Baldwin next Friday! SO nervous.

Your stats are incredible - higher than VCU's average! My friend with a 3.4 GPA was accepted to Mary Baldwin last week (she heard back less than two weeks after her october interview!) and she said it wasn't bad, the people there were very nice! I'm sure you'll do great there too.

Wow, thank you so much. I feel a lot better now. I got a little upset about VCU over accepting- it's a little unfair. I will definitely let you know if I hear anything! Unfortunately I am still finishing the second part of A&P so they will have to wait for that one grade :( Hopefully the Mary Baldwin one goes well, though I have noooo idea how I would pay for it! Private school man, haha.

Has anyone heard from VCU for regular decision yet?

Has anyone heard from VCU for regular decision yet?
I was denied admission, because they never received my GRE scores apparently (thank god it wasn't one of my top choices!). I saw someone post about being accepted on gradcafe around the time that I received my email from vcu, so that post has credibility. This means that they are reviewing people, so hopefully you hear back soon! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I heard in November that I was deferred, but I haven't heard anything about regular admission. Nervous though!!

Has anyone received an acceptance yet??

I haven't heard anything- I applied in october and they received all of my materials..

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone I emailed the admissions woman and asked her about acceptances because I've been communicating with her for over a year. She told me they started sending out acceptances January 13th. Unfortunately for me she said it looks like I won't be getting accepted. Good luck to the rest of you!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey everyone I emailed the admissions woman and asked her about acceptances because I've been communicating with her for over a year. She told me they started sending out acceptances January 13th. Unfortunately for me she said it looks like I won't be getting accepted. Good luck to the rest of you!!p

So would you say emailing them is a good idea? I haven't heard anything either and I've been debating emailing/calling them or just waiting. I've heard a lot of people say that contacting the program seems to jinx them and 9 times out of 10 the answer is not good so I'm nervous about it haha

I only contacted them because I had been speaking with the admissions woman for over a year so I got close enough to her that I felt she would be honest with me. It may be better to wait if you've heard that though lol my chances weren't really that great to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I received an acceptance email on January 28. They said there would be a follow-up email within the next few weeks, but I haven't received it yet. Just thought I'd update you guys that were wondering.

Hey guys- I was so antsy about waiting, I called the office today- the lady said my application is still under review and they haven't made any decisions on it yet. I asked if a wait list was made or anything and she didn't say much about it but said no, it's too early. So I guess that's better than a rejection...

I just got my acceptance email today!! I'm so glad to FINALLY hear something from VCU! Hopefully more emails are being sent soon!

Last edited: