VCU vs. UNLV vs. Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dugatkin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been stalking this forum for quite some time and have finally made an account because I need some advice. I've been accepted to all three of the above schools and would like to know what you would do in my situation. Cost is fortunately not a factor for me, which makes the decision harder. Location is also not much of a factor since all three schools are a plane ride away from home.

That being said, I'm looking for the strongest program of the three. I'm not sure about specializing, but I'd like to keep the option open. I know Buffalo is strong in the research field and VCU is heavily focused on clinical skills, both of which I think are important. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two school since I didn't get a great vibe at UNLV. What do you guys think??

Members don't see this ad.

You are quite fortunate and blessed to not have to worry about cost. Congrats on getting into these schools.

VCU all the way. Great school in general.

Reactions: 1 user
Of VCU and Buffalo, look at them and ask yourself which area can you see yourself being happier in for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVED VCU at my interview. The admissions were incredibly friendly, the professors were all extremely courteous and helpful, and the students seemed very happy. They all had nothing but great things to say about the program when I talked about it with them. We also were allowed to watch students taking a lab practical and when it was done the majority of students were actually smiling and joking with their classmates (maybe they all failed, who knows but it's a great attitude to have lol.) I thought the school's location was awesome and if you go to Virginia over Buffalo, you won't need snowshoes. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I know you said money isn't a factor, but just so you know--both Buffalo and UNLV will help you get in-state tuition after one year, VCU will not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I interviewed at 7 schools and VCU was one of my favorite. Modern facilities and a solid clinical program. Buffalo is cold.

Hi everybody - thank you for all of your advice! I may have fibbed a little on my first post.... let's say that cost IS going to be a factor for me. Does this change anybody's mind? Is VCU's awesome program outweighed by the fact that UNLV and Buffalo grant in-state tuition after year 1?

Hi everybody - thank you for all of your advice! I may have fibbed a little on my first post.... let's say that cost IS going to be a factor for me. Does this change anybody's mind? Is VCU's awesome program outweighed by the fact that UNLV and Buffalo grant in-state tuition after year 1?

Yup, changes a lot in my opinion. If you look hyuh and right nyuh, the difference between the two schools after getting instate (Assuming you thought they were the same previously) is about $100,000. Okay, but the housing and living stuff they allocate about $20,000 a year or so. Anyway I live literally 5 minutes from the Dental school and can tell you that you can probably shave off half (or more) of the living expense so long as you're not living like a bloody king. From my current living arrangement, it would cost me about $16,000 for rent alone for FOUR years (I included increasing rates and such) and adding on living cost it still would be about half. Anyway, with that said, if I attend I think I will take off a little more than half and that saves you $40,000 right there. Living in Buffalo is cheap as hell as verified by our new mod @free99 hizzuh.

Anyway, I don't know how much the area around VCU will cost you but if you're not living with your family, I doubt you will find cheaper housing prices than Buffalo (Maybe Detroit and Pitt on average would be cheaper). So the difference becomes more about 140k and interest you're looking at nearly double that over 20 years. I'd choose UB in this case, it's not a bad school and the clinics are being renovated.

Last edited:

I'll do a little legwork for you.

First off, it's relatively well known that UNLV offers residency after year one and it's almost guaranteed. My source for Buffalo is here. My knowledge of VCU is small talk with other students and less-than-enthusiastic responses from their admissions office.

Here are the ADEA costs for each school.

University of Buffalo
7cjS2pX.png

UNLV
qkfsNrg.png

VCU
aBTRCPr.png

So assuming you pay one year OOS for UB & UNLV and four years OOS for VCU, the total estimated costs of attendance are:

UB: $273,332 (factoring out ADEA's error in the OOS totals)
UNLV: $367,532
VCU: $339,482

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll do a little legwork for you.

First off, it's relatively well known that UNLV offers residency after year one and it's almost guaranteed. My source for Buffalo is here. My knowledge of VCU is small talk with other students and less-than-enthusiastic responses from their admissions office.

Here are the ADEA costs for each school.

University of Buffalo
7cjS2pX.png

UNLV
qkfsNrg.png

VCU
aBTRCPr.png

So assuming you pay one year OOS for UB & UNLV and four years OOS for VCU, the total estimated costs of attendance are:

UB: $335,676
UNLV: $367,532
VCU: $339,482

So, I guess it's not as different as it might have been. And much of UNLV's higher cost seems to come from the higher cost of living estimates.

The cost of OOS is wrong in the ADEA book for UB. It would actually be about 100k for the first year not 160k as OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for crunching those numbers @arkenstone and @Weakfart (awesome username btw). The financial packets given at the schools do show that the allocated money toward room/board is almost double for VCU compared to Buffalo. I know the cost of living in Buffalo is very low compared to most places, but I didn't think COL in Richmond was so much higher. Additionally, I know that the mindset of most people on this forum is "GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" so I was hesitant to mention that tuition would be a factor for me because I would get biased responses. You all seemed really enthusiastic about VCU's program - would I be doing myself a disservice going to Buffalo? I would like to keep my options of specializing/research as open as possible, but not sure if it's worth 60k+.

I got a glance at the new draft for tuition and fees (the fixed cost is the least amount you have to pay to be enrolled) at VCU was $47,000. When you compare different school costs, it's best to compare with tuition and fees alone. You also need to know if you can become an in state resident for tuition purposes. If I remember correctly, you can get in state tuition after the first year for New York. You cannot do the same thing in Virginia. For Spring 2015, I borrowed a little over $43,000 for tuition and fees.

Last year, VCU matched 1 non-categorical (internship) and 1 military OMFS residency. This year, I believe two D4's applied. 1 matched, I don't know the fate of the other yet. The intern from last year also matched. 4 D4s matched into ortho this year. 2 D4s matched into ortho internships.

Last edited:
I got a glance at the new draft for tuition and fees (the fixed cost is the least amount you have to pay to be enrolled) at VCU was $47,000. When you compare different school costs, it's best to compare with tuition and fees alone. You also need to know if you can become an in state resident for tuition purposes. If I remember correctly, you can get in state tuition after the first year for New York. You cannot do the same thing in Virginia. For Spring 2015, I borrowed a little over $43,000 for tuition and fees.

Last year, VCU matched 1 non-categorical (internship) and 1 military OMFS residency. This year, I believe two D4's applied. 1 matched, I don't know the fate of the other yet. The intern from last year also matched. At least 2 D4s matched into ortho this year. Generally, the class for each year tends to have a vast majority of students wanting to become GPs. I only know of one class that currently has an unusually large number of people wanting OMFS, ortho, and pedo. As a testament to their high-achieving culture, that particular class has broken class average records on exams and has earned an endearing nickname as the "gunner class".

(finally got around to fixing my UB total--yeah I see ADEA's error.)

UCSF---I'm intrigued and confused by what you mean about the "draft" for tuition and fees. What are you talking about?

Also, judging by your avatar I'm guessing you were at some point interested in OMS. For the dental student with sufficient initiative to study for the CBSE, is VCU at least as helpful as the average dental school in getting you there?

(finally got around to fixing my UB total--yeah I see ADEA's error.)

UCSF---I'm intrigued and confused by what you mean about the "draft" for tuition and fees. What are you talking about?

Also, judging by your avatar I'm guessing you were at some point interested in OMS. For the dental student with sufficient initiative to study for the CBSE, is VCU at least as helpful as the average dental school in getting you there?
It means that I found a copy of a draft for 2015's tuition rate.

A D4 who matched into OMFS destroyed the CBSE. A student in my class got a very high score as well. So it's possible. I can't really answer your second question because the CBSE for OMFS is a very recent requirement and I have not taken it. Outside of the few schools with heavy science curriculum, I don't think any dental school's curriculum will prepare you "sufficiently" for the CBSE. Remember, medical schools give students several weeks of leave in addition to their summer so that they can better prepare for the Step 1. VCU's curriculum is tailored towards producing excellent general dentists and our summers are spent working in the clinic like many other schools.

I got into VCU and UB; I'm in-state for VCU so tuition was a big factor when I eventually crossed UB off the list. That said, I got a great vibe at both schools. Buffalo is cold, yes, but you will be indoors working stupid long hours for all 4 years so who cares? Some of Buffalo's facilities were a little old, but hey that helps keeps cost low (as long as stuff works, why pay for new toys?), and the environment seemed very collegial and welcoming. The students in the lab seemed like they were working together and having fun.

Richmond is not a bad place to live either. The people at VCU seemed fairly relaxed. The VCU alumni I've met (admittedly not that many...but more than from any other school) seem well-engaged with their communities, which is something that's important to me.