Vermont Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasgasman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sad state of affairs here. New chair put in place recently. Not a good fit . Residents morale is at an all time low due to chair's actions toward them. If I posted those actions, you would not believe it. At least 3 of my fellow residents were considering taking attending jobs here and now they just want out.

Attendings also unhappy. Some have started to look for work elsewhere. Declining incomes have already started .

Would not recommend getting an anesthesiology residency position here or an attending position.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sad state of affairs here. New chair put in place recently. Not a good fit . Residents morale is at an all time low due to chair's actions toward them. If I posted those actions, you would not believe it. At least 3 of my fellow residents were considering taking attending jobs here and now they just want out.

Attendings also unhappy. Some have started to look for work elsewhere. Declining incomes have already started .

Would not recommend getting an anesthesiology residency position here or an attending position.

Post the actions

what are the issues? They had a pediatric position posted recently which caught my attention...PM me if feel comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)

I love posts like this. Let's get some conversation about what they did -

Then we can expect some people from the university joining SDN for the first time to come and defend the place.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed there a couple of years ago and it seemed like a reasonable academic job. The pay wasn't the highest ever, but lifestyle seemed pretty good and Burlington is a nice town. What are the problems?

Also gasgasman, complain to the ACGME if there are truly issues. A chairman has no business messing with a residency program. That is why the ACGME made sure the two jobs were separate years ago.

Yes It used to be a decent program what happened? Burlington is nice town/place to live.

Also gasgasman, complain to the ACGME if there are truly issues. A chairman has no business messing with a residency program. That is why the ACGME made sure the two jobs were separate years ago.

Is that actually an effective way to effect change? As long as ACGME expectations are being met or exceeded, do they really care about resident morale? Maybe now with all the new resident wellness initiatives (in response to the resident suicides gaining media traction I suppose), but I don't think historically that would've done much?

Is that actually an effective way to effect change? As long as ACGME expectations are being met or exceeded, do they really care about resident morale? Maybe now with all the new resident wellness initiatives (in response to the resident suicides gaining media traction I suppose), but I don't think historically that would've done much?
It depends on what the chairman is doing. Information is key in this situation.

Absolutely it would change things if the new changes implemented by the chair adversely affected the learning environment of the residency.

Well it is a small residency basically in a pp model.

I just noticed no one updated this thread. That Chair resigned at the end of July '17. Our new Chair is someone from our own department and everyone here (Attendings, CRNA/AA's, Residents) unanimously agree he is a perfect fit for us. He is also NOT an Interim Chair so no more Chair searches. It is a relief to have our stability back and the vibe has returned to the way it was prior to this whole ordeal, a collegial and supportive community and a great place to work and train!

I just noticed no one updated this thread. That Chair resigned at the end of July '17. Our new Chair is someone from our own department and everyone here (Attendings, CRNA/AA's, Residents) unanimously agree he is a perfect fit for us. He is also NOT an Interim Chair so no more Chair searches. It is a relief to have our stability back and the vibe has returned to the way it was prior to this whole ordeal, a collegial and supportive community and a great place to work and train!

After doing an away rotation there I can second this. The residents all seemed quite happy and it looks like a great program. Work hours were decent and the didactics were the best of the places I rotated at. The big drawbacks for me are the cost of real estate and the fact that all the food in the hospital cafeteria is healthy stuff my mother would approve of. If I don't match anywhere my plan is to move to Vermont and make millions by running a food truck in the hospital parking lot serving fried chicken, fried shrimp, gumbo, barbecue, and all the other wonderful food that Louisiana doctors refer to as job security.

Reactions: 4 users
I rotated at UVM as well. I had a great experience. I had heard about UVM from some AA's and they said that their friends loved it there. Everyone is very nice, it almost made me suspicious. Even as an away student everyone from residents to staff made me feel welcomed and taught me more about anesthesia than my other rotations. I had a chance to work with the new chairman in the OR which I thought was great that he still covered ORs and even taught residents about TIVA. A lot of faculty trained at prestigious hospitals and involved with the boards. Attendings actively teach residents in the ORs and are extremely patient. Culture there was amazing between different services. Burlington is an awesome college town, no rush hour at all and Montreal is a close drive for bigger city adventures. I plan to rank them highly.