Very unusual admissions scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprint4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Knowing what a furnace medical school is, and that you have already had your chance, I suggest sticking with other career options. At my school, might likely get an interview, and then the Adcom would have a long and interesting discussion, and then wait list you.

Applying to only one school is a foolish decision, on top of all that. It's like saying: "this medical school, or not a doctor."

Hello all,

I'm writing to get thoughts on my situation. I attended med school for 2.5 years from ages 24-26 about a decade ago. Prior to that, a 6 year abusive relationship with a person in position of authority (teacher) that lasted until age 22 left me emotionally in tatters. I was good at the work, but I started to fray on the wards despite having an excellent academic record (all honors, 260+ on Step 1). I hit the depths of a serious depression and came to think that medicine just wasn't for me and left the program. Since then I've been a high school science teacher (irony not lost, but it was an excellent way to fight back against what happened to me).

Fast forward, and I've fallen in love with a doc, and the relationship has forced me to really address the trauma I experienced and how it has affected the trajectory of my life. I'm starting to see how the act of taking care of patients in high-stress scenarios triggered me deeply, and some anger is starting to well up that I was robbed of a career in medicine because of the actions done to me. It's a hard pill to swallow. I have a diagnosis of Complex PTSD.

I'm considering reapplying to medical school this summer in light of these revelations. I would have a preposterous list of things against me: reapplying after voluntary withdrawal will raise huge red flags; I can really only apply to one school because of my future wife's academic position...and it's the same school that I left a decade ago; I will definitely have to retake the MCAT.

I light of all this, what do you nontrads out there think? Ridiculous? Give it up and move on? Or try?

Thanks,
Sprint4

You're in your 30's, starting over, with a high earning future wife. Why is the only way forward med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think as long as you feel someone else ruined your future in medicine ( someone undermined my ability.....), you'll continue to "be in your own way". No matter what happens in our lives, we're ultimately in charge of our own destiny, with a few notable exceptions ie a midget desiring a career in the NBA.

IHMO, so much of life is mental/attitude and when that's positive, positive things WILL happen to you. The human spirit has an amazing capacity to deal with adversity and move on, you simply need to find away to do that.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
There's no other way to put this... but what happened to you sucked and I'm honestly very happy that you've moved on from it.

I would call the medical school and see if you can speak to a dean about the situation and what all happened. Were they aware of these issues? That's probably the best place to start to see if they'd let you in. Otherwise, you waste all this time and energy into the process with no shot.

Side note, if you have those step scores etc, you might want to try your hand at consulting. Sounds like you're a good problem solver, but the stress of an inpatient setting might still not be for you. Might be worth exploring the world of healthcare consulting etc.

If you want to do this just to prove to yourself and the world that you can, then don't bother.

If you truly and honestly feel that this is still the best possible career for you, and additionally, that the issues that complicated your mental state during third year of medical school are well and truly resolved (or under very good control), then go for it. You sound like you fought a very difficult and uphill battle to get to the point where your PTSD is under good control. I would hate to see you jeopardize it and all the gains you have made for this career.

If you really think it is worth the risk to go for it, then go for it! If you make a very compelling case as to what happened and why you think it is all resolved and won't happen again, they might give you another chance. It's worth a try. But I'd perhaps consider other possibilities too, including going the PA route. The fact that your life circumstances are such that you are constrained to only applying to one medical school makes me wonder if the truth is that you are still a little ambivalent about whether this is the right choice for you. On the other hand, it could just mean that you are taking a more grown-up and pragmatic view of things - you aren't willing to jeopardize your wife's career or your relationship to chase this dream, which is actually a pretty healthy outlook, I think.

Either way, good luck to you. I hope whatever choice you make will bring you nothing but great joy!

Hello all,

I'm writing to get thoughts on my situation. I attended med school for 2.5 years from ages 24-26 about a decade ago. Prior to that, a 6 year abusive relationship with a person in position of authority (teacher) that lasted until age 22 left me emotionally in tatters. I was good at the work, but I started to fray on the wards despite having an excellent academic record (all honors, 260+ on Step 1). I hit the depths of a serious depression and came to think that medicine just wasn't for me and left the program. Since then I've been a high school science teacher (irony not lost, but it was an excellent way to fight back against what happened to me).

Fast forward, and I've fallen in love with a doc, and the relationship has forced me to really address the trauma I experienced and how it has affected the trajectory of my life. I'm starting to see how the act of taking care of patients in high-stress scenarios triggered me deeply, and some anger is starting to well up that I was robbed of a career in medicine because of the actions done to me. It's a hard pill to swallow. I have a diagnosis of Complex PTSD.

I'm considering reapplying to medical school this summer in light of these revelations. I would have a preposterous list of things against me: reapplying after voluntary withdrawal will raise huge red flags; I can really only apply to one school because of my future wife's academic position...and it's the same school that I left a decade ago; I will definitely have to retake the MCAT.

I light of all this, what do you nontrads out there think? Ridiculous? Give it up and move on? Or try?

Thanks,
Sprint4

If you're definitely set on this one school, go talk to the Dean of the school you wish to enter before you even consider doing anything towards this path. You need an honest answer from them whether they would consider taking you again after a voluntary withdrawal. Some schools have specific policies about this. Find this out first and then worry about the next steps from there.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, I will contact the Dean of Student Services who I know well about the idea. Bump for any further advice from the forum readers?
In addition to their own receptivity to your re-application, ask how they are likely to characterize your performance and reason for departure to other schools. There is a special place in the AMCAS primary for previous matriculants where they need to describe what happened. There are very, very few re-matriculants. Any school considering an interview will not only look at your description but will also call Student Affairs for their view of the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I am in a similar situation. I completed 3 years and Step 1, but withdrew 7 years ago because of struggles with depression as a result of my poor choices in my personal life. Looking back I know that I wasn't mature enough and many of the poor life decisions I was making were a result of me not being ready to grow up. I work in research now, but I know I am meant to do more with my life and the knowledge and skills that I've gained. I know I am meant to be the physician I set out to be all those years ago. We didn't leave because we realized medicine wasn't for us. If anything our experiences since medical school have helped us see medicine is our true calling. Only people in our situation can understand that nagging feeling and nothing else will satisfy it. Sure there are other career paths that will allow us to use the knowledge we've gained. But I wouldn't consider those options until I know for sure the door back to medical school has been slammed shut, locked, key thrown away, lost forever... It's about chasing and living your passion, despite the challenges and the naysayers. Rising above all of that and accomplishing your goals, that speaks volumes about your character and your strength.

So I say go for it and don't limit yourself. It's your life!

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say is the best to you and good luck. . .and I don't quite get while you can't apply to other schools.

Visiting with the dean for student affairs next week. Any specific advice? I know to ask about how receptive they would be toward my reapplication, and I know to assess how their office would portray the situation to other schools. Any other suggestions on the meeting or my situation in general?

Hi Sprint - you have a pretty unique situation indeed. I interview applicants to my MD school and one of the key things we look for is evidence that applicants can handle the rigors of an MD curriculum. Your 260+ Step 1 and preclinical honors show that you can crush the preclinical curriculum and have the potential to excel clinically, but the fact that you withdrew is, as you know, a huge red flag for readmission. So in planning for the meeting with your dean, I would put yourself in the dean's shoes. He/she will want to know what you have done and what you are going to do to minimize the risk that you will withdraw again if you are readmitted, with specifics. I would be prepared to make a case for this and I'd recommend being open about the specific steps you have taken - e.g., if you have undergone therapy, are on meds for PTSD, have regular follow-up with a psychiatrist and your PTSD is under good enough control that your last symptoms were several years ago, then say so. I'd also practice phrasing this in a way that shows that you have ownership of your situation and are not making excuses or blaming anyone else - e.g., when you say that "anger is starting to well up that I was robbed of a career in medicine because of the actions done to me," while that may be true, I wouldn't mention it in this meeting or in your application. Instead, focus on what you have done and will do to ensure that being on the wards again is not going to trigger the same response as last time.

Good luck - it will be a long road, but given your academic track record, if you interview well and can tell a convincing story about why the same thing that happened last time will not happen again, I think you are readmissible.

I would leave out the part about 'having fallen in love with a doc' during your talk. Perhaps talk about having come to terms with what happened to you in your life and having found newfound energy and determination to expend in this pursuit.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
You can always move to a state that lets you do that, then potentially come back in time if they let you.

There are worse things than having to move states, especially in your situation.

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but I don't think anyone has...

You've already discussed the difficulties with getting back into medical school, and with licensing, but something I didn't see mentioned is whether you will have difficulties matching to a residency. I would think your 10-year hiatus will be reflected in your transcripts, and program directors are going to have to wonder whether you will also drop out of their residency program. Might prevent you from getting some interviews, and even where you interview they might rank you a little bit lower.

So regarding residency, two questions you should ask yourself are:
1) Will you be more mobile by the time you're a resident? Because it sounds like you're only willing to consider one school now; will you only be willing to consider a residency program at that school 4 years from now?
2) If you go back to medical school are you thinking you want to pursue a really competitive residency program? Because even if you're going to be willing to move out of state for residency, the more competitive specialties are not likely to be as forgiving about your hiatus as lower-competition specialties (family, internal, peds, psychiatry).

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Keep us updated with how your saga unfolds. I'm routing for you!

Well, I got a reply and the summary is as follows: the NBME would have no restrictions on me retaking the step 1 exam; my state medical board's rule about 7 years max between steps 1 and 3 could be appealed, and the dean is of the opinion that by starting med school over and retaking step 1 they would likely restart the clock; residency program directors will vary on their opinions of my tortuous path, and really the only way to convince them that I'm for real is to do well in school and on exams.

Now for the toughest part: getting admitted again! Any advice or opinions on how to craft a personal statement that acknowledges my past trauma but emphasizes my successful treatment and what I can contribute to the school at my age with my experiences? Or is that best reserved for other portions of the application?

I think your personal statement should focus on your successes post medical school and what motivated you to come back. Unfinished business doesn't cut it IMO. Why do you want to be a doctor? Have your reasons shifted due to your experiences? If you talk about your trauma in the personal statement at all, it should be in the context of that, i.e. part of the reason why you want to go into medicine. Just be aware, I was sick and now I'm inspired to help people is a story that has been used many times. Doesn't mean it can't be used, but recognize that it shouldn't be overdone.

There will be space in secondaries and some in the AMCAS to talk about challenges and difficulties and that's definitely an area to address leaving school, getting help, and deciding to return. Your PS should focus on your motivations to go into medicine. It's not a space for your life story. As a non-trad, some of your motivations are linked to your life story, but always be sure to stay within the theme of "Why Medicine?"

Hello all,

Thanks,
Sprint4

I would say since you had a strong academic record, maybe you should give it another try, but you should be more cautious about who you get into a personal relationship with, getting involved with a teacher is a very bad idea.

I also think even platonic friendships should be avoided as well, you can be friendly but keep your distance for your own sake.

Also I am not sure you want to write about PTSD on your application, that will definitely red flag your application. Schools are sympathetic to students who have suffered from physical illnesses like Cancer but they tend to be wary of people with mental issues, its because physically most people with mental issues can function, so they are perceived differently.

Last edited:
@sprint14 - be ready in May to put all the information into the 2017 cycle, and submit on June 1.

It is very late and with your story, early >>>>>>>>>>>>> late.

Late September is really late. It's better to wait for the next cycle.

Last edited: