Vet Tech programs that also count toward pre-vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scabiesnrabies

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any vet tech programs out there that allow you to take pre-vet courses at the same time? I know at Cal Poly Pomona they have something like this but they wouldn't let me apply since I already have a Bachelor's degree. Are there any other programs like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, vet tech courses do not transfer to another University. If that is the case, they can not apply toward vet school.

Pretty sure there is not. In fact, most vetschools wont even use veterinary technology courses to calculate GPA or Course Rigor. Found that one out the hard way. A select few will allow certain courses like anantomy or nutrition to be used as pre-requisites but most dont. Sorry:(

Members don't see this ad :)
North Dakota State University has a 4 year B.S. Veterinary Technology program that is very popular and competitive. I know several students who have completed their bachelors in that program and completed the vet school pre reqs at the same time, eventually getting into vet school.

Usually students do have to take summer classes or take 5 years in order to balance the demanding vet tech program with the pre-vet courses

I could be mistaken but I think what scabiesnrabies is looking for is a VT program that INCLUDES the vetschool prereqs? Maybe not. If that is the case, veterianary technology training is so specific, whereas veterinary pre-reqs are more general it would be hard to gain the necessary knowledge based required to pass the VT board exam by just taking vet school pre-req type classes. Veterinary technology courses could definately help once you get into vet school since youll have already been exposed to medical terminology, handling and restraint, anatomy and physio. anesthesia, small and large animal diseases, nutrition, histology...ect... but as far as equaling the pre-reqs... vet tech courses are too specific for the technical component of the profession. Does that make sense?

I could be mistaken but I think what scabiesnrabies is looking for is a VT program that INCLUDES the vetschool prereqs? Maybe not. If that is the case, veterianary technology training is so specific, whereas veterinary pre-reqs are more general it would be hard to gain the necessary knowledge based required to pass the VT board exam by just taking vet school pre-req type classes. Veterinary technology courses could definately help once you get into vet school since youll have already been exposed to medical terminology, handling and restraint, anatomy and physio. anesthesia, small and large animal diseases, nutrition, histology...ect... but as far as equaling the pre-reqs... vet tech courses are too specific for the technical component of the profession. Does that make sense?

I'm just looking for an undergrad program that would allow me to take vet school prereqs and also qualify me to take the exam to become a vet tech so that I have something to fall back on in case I don't end up going to vet school. Would a 4-year vet tech program allow me to do this? Or any animal science programs? Or would it take me 5 years no matter what if I want to complete both vet tech course and pre vet courses?

North Dakota State University has a 4 year B.S. Veterinary Technology program that is very popular and competitive. I know several students who have completed their bachelors in that program and completed the vet school pre reqs at the same time, eventually getting into vet school.

Usually students do have to take summer classes or take 5 years in order to balance the demanding vet tech program with the pre-vet courses

I will look into it, thanks! I already have a degree so looks like that one will take me 4 years. :)

You will also have to consider the different states that you may want to work in. Different states license vet techs in different ways.

Yes, I am licensed in my state. I was able to take the licensure exam last year because I have a B.S. in biology. Your state may be similar. You should be able to contact your state vet board to find out.

The state I work in will only let you sit the exams if you graduate from an AVMA CVTEA accredited program.

Yes, I am licensed in my state. I was able to take the licensure exam last year because I have a B.S. in biology. Your state may be similar. You should be able to contact your state vet board to find out.

I looked it up and it is the same way in my state, so that is another option for me. Thanks! :thumbup:

Fort Valley State University in Ga also offers a 4 year B.S in Veterinary Technology. It is Accredited by AVMA, the 4 yr and the 2 year program. It will allow you to sit for the licensing exam and the credits (a least from the 4 yr program definitely) go towards vet school pre-reqs. I am currently at vet school with 3 other graduates of this program. The 4 yr program is actually set up to prepare you for vet school but gives you a backup as a vet tech.

An extra bonus is that this program recently built a new facility that looks like a small vet school. It has small and large animal surgery, they have their own animals, dogs, cats, lab animals, exotics, large animals. And this is what I know they had since I visited about 4 years ago, there is no telling what else they have now. And last semester of 4yr program is usually done in clinics at UGA veterinary teaching hospital!(it was when I went through not sure if this is still the same).:thumbup:

Fort Valley State University in Ga also offers a 4 year B.S in Veterinary Technology. It is Accredited by AVMA, the 4 yr and the 2 year program. It will allow you to sit for the licensing exam and the credits (a least from the 4 yr program definitely) go towards vet school pre-reqs. I am currently at vet school with 3 other graduates of this program. The 4 yr program is actually set up to prepare you for vet school but gives you a backup as a vet tech.

An extra bonus is that this program recently built a new facility that looks like a small vet school. It has small and large animal surgery, they have their own animals, dogs, cats, lab animals, exotics, large animals. And this is what I know they had since I visited about 4 years ago, there is no telling what else they have now. And last semester of 4yr program is usually done in clinics at UGA veterinary teaching hospital!(it was when I went through not sure if this is still the same).:thumbup:

That sounds perfect! Unfortunately I don't think I can apply though...it says that the second degree option only applies to previous FVSU graduates. :(