Veteran needs your knowledge.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tantrism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been reading this board awhile and I'm at a point where I'm ready to ask some questions. Ill try to summarize my situation as briefly as I can muster. I have a GED and am a disabled veteran. This veteran status has granted me 8-12 years of school without having to pay much of my own money. My girlfriend is 38 weeks pregnant and I'm pretty excited about being a father. I started at the University of North Texas in the fall of 2014 majoring in Chemistry with a minor in math (I was told that I would be one class short of the minor so why not?). They don't have a formal pre-med program here but have faculty that assists with the process. I want to be an MD. I want the freedom to go anywhere in the world and have a skill that translates. I want financial security and I want the intellectual gratification. I'm not the most altruistic person I know but I have spent most of my life serving people in some way or another. A "desk job" doesnt appeal to me and neither does charging people for what I believe to be my creative expression. Medicine of some sort is where I feel the most comfortable but I feel like I wouldn't be exercising my potential as a nurse or paramedic (I was an EMT pre-Army).

I am terrified. More than I ever was engaged in conflict in foreign countries. Math is killing me and it's mostly my fault. I have not used or practiced these skills in over a decade. I am taking College Algebra this semester and its like pulling teeth. I spend on average 10 hours a week in the math lab getting tutoring and another 7-8 hours reading and doing homework. I can retain skills for about 2 weeks and then seem to lose them. This does not bode well considering my degree doesnt actually start until Calc II.

I could have the GPA to look good if I were doing biology, history, english... anything else pretty much. Chemistry, physics and math I dont have a natural aptitude for. They are what interest me most and I mistakenly thought that's what college was for. I want this chemistry degree really badly and I know I can achieve it. Achieve it, understand it and make an A? I'm not so sure...

Should I try PA instead of MD for now? Ive read about the differences but would like some insight into what you guys think. Do I have to decide now? Will schools even look at me if I dont have the volunteer hours some of these others do? Is it possible to get in to either programs with a <3.6 GPA and little to no volunteer service? Should I be changing my major? If it makes more sense to be a PA (and then go back for MD later if I'm bored) what should I be doing next in terms of extracurricular activities?

Thank you for your patience and attention. Any help, advice, enouragement or constructive criticism you can offer is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I try PA instead of MD for now?

Getting right to it. For some reason there is a common misconception about PA school that it is easier to get into than medical school. This is not the case. PA admissions is a ruthless, merciless beast, and those who can make it in deserve a ton of respect.

Ive read about the differences but would like some insight into what you guys think.

Do some more reading about the differences and then do some reading about the similarities. You may find that the differences are not substantial enough, and the similarities close enough, that the PA route is a more appealing one to pursue.

Should I try PA instead of MD for now? I want the freedom to go anywhere in the world and have a skill that translates. I want financial security and I want the intellectual gratification.

You can have these things as a PA, and, on top of that, you train in 2-3 years (as opposed to 7+), take on less overall debt (may not be a real concern for you with G.I. Bill), and you can move among many specialities in medicine without having to do a fellowship or a second residency.

You may miss out on some of the intellectual gratification as a PA, though, since the role is designed as a clinical extender rather than as a clinical investigator.

Do I have to decide now?

No. But the sooner you do the better if you choose to go PA. You will need to build substantial, recent, hands-on patient care experience to be competitive for >95% of PA programs. And by substantial, that means 2,000+ hours, with averages around 4,000+ at many programs.

Will schools even look at me if I dont have the volunteer hours some of these others do?

They will look. Whether that looking translates to interviews and admissions offers is another story.

Is it possible to get in to either programs with a <3.6 GPA and little to no volunteer service?

Probably not. The gpa is not as concerning as the "little to no volunteer service." On paper, every medical and PA school emphasizes evidence of altruism to be considered. Some medical schools may let that slide if you have 90th percentile gpa, numerous publications, and an LOR from the Surgeon General.

Your game plan must include volunteer/paid experience among needy people. It must.

Should I be changing my major?

Possibly. Anymore it seems there is no true advantage to having a science major for medical or PA school. It has been said in other threads: Get A's. That's your goal. Pad the eff out of your gpa, man. Make that cGPA as high as absolutely possible. Jump into a communications major, political science, or education (something that won't require too much of you to get A's), and then just take the standard one-year sequences of bio/chem/physics/organic. Major in something that will leave you plenty of mental space and time to zone in on the prereqs and get the highest grades possible there.

If it makes more sense to be a PA (and then go back for MD later if I'm bored) what should I be doing next in terms of extracurricular activities?

I would take some time to think about the bolded.

E.C.'s should be things you can talk about meaningfully. Do things with needy people. Shadow PA's (you'll need LOR's from PA's). Get as much hands-on clinical experience as possible (preferably something that requires a certification like CNA, EMT, Phlebotomy). Learn Spanish. Start a pre-PA club at your school, or if they already have one become a committee member in it.

Thank you for your patience and attention. Any help, advice, enouragement or constructive criticism you can offer is highly appreciated.

I wish you the best as you begin this journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The above advice is very good.

Also think to yourself: do you want to be a chemist or a physician?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have pointed me in the right direction. I had heard rumors of medical programs seeking more diversity instead of what I would think is the cream of the crop in the science fields. Chemistry attracts me because of what it is, the study of what things are. I consider myself to be a history, literature and philosophy nerd and have had both literature and history professors tell me I could probably already teach undergraduate level classes in those subjects. It doesnt appeal to me in the same way chemistry does BUT my goal is not to become a chemist. I hadn't really thought of things in these terms; I thought chemistry might set me apart from the masses of biologists while giving me a good time. Taking easier courses with fewer labs will give me more time to juggle a baby, blossoming relationship and thousands of hours with patients.

My next question should probably be: "How does a tattooed, bearded veteran go about getting those hands on hours with patients?" I have some experience with trauma and phlebotomy seems menial enough. Is there anything any of you would tell me to stay away from? I could easily recertify my EMT license and that P added to the end wouldn't be too rough to get. Any advice in what may benefit me most in terms of area of service?

Thank you for the detailed replies and thoughtful responses.

My next question should probably be: "How does a tattooed, bearded veteran go about getting those hands on hours with patients?"

Vets are shoo-ins for so, so many jobs. Tattoos and beards aren't really problematic most places anymore as long as the tats can be covered, and the beard kept clean.

Is there anything any of you would tell me to stay away from?

Stay away from anything that doesn't give you hands-on experience. It doesn't help you to just be around patients. You've got to be active in the actual delivery of care for PA schools to view the experience as valid. For medical school, it is a bit more lenient, but, from what I've been told, hands-on care beats other gigs 9/10 times. With your background as an EMT, that seems like a natural fit, but I would suggest doing something that allows you, above all, to get A's in your classes, and, when the time comes, allows you enough time to sufficiently prepare for the MCAT (or GRE depending on which direction you choose).

Any advice in what may benefit me most in terms of area of service?

Area of service doesn't matter. Get hands-on experience and be able to discuss it meaningfully when the time comes.

Honestly, though the act of getting admitted to medical or PA school can be confusing and seem arbitrary, the vast majority of what you need to do to prepare for them is straight forward. You're on the right track, man. Stick around the forums--you'll find a lot of support here along the way. I know I have!

Reactions: 2 users