Veterinary Assistant in NYS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mackdelraye

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I couldn't find a similar answer when searching around the threads so here is my question:

I am a veterinary assistant at a hospital right now and am responsible for restocking, cleaning, etc. But I have also been helping with administering subcutaneous fluids, running bloodwork, scrubbing patients in surgery, monitoring vitals, taking x-rays, filling medication (non-controlled) etc.

In NYS (where I live), the laws are strict around unlicensed technicians (which is basically what I am) and I want to make sure I am not communicating that I am doing anything illegal on my vet application.

Do you think I should not mention any of this or is it ok since it's what the clinic said I can do? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything you shouldn't be. I'm from NYS and listed blood draws and other stuff that's supposed to be done by licensed techs on my applications a few years ago. You should be just fine to mention anything you've done.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I couldn't find a similar answer when searching around the threads so here is my question:

I am a veterinary assistant at a hospital right now and am responsible for restocking, cleaning, etc. But I have also been helping with administering subcutaneous fluids, running bloodwork, scrubbing patients in surgery, monitoring vitals, taking x-rays, filling medication (non-controlled) etc.

In NYS (where I live), the laws are strict around unlicensed technicians (which is basically what I am) and I want to make sure I am not communicating that I am doing anything illegal on my vet application.

Do you think I should not mention any of this or is it ok since it's what the clinic said I can do? Thank you!
If you're super concerned you could say something to the affect of "Under supervision of a liscensed vet tech or veterinarian."

Reactions: 1 user