Via Christi- Wichita, KS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranzformer

Varg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some useful information about this program for someone interested in it? I did a search and surprisingly didn't come up with much information on it. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it is an excellent program, and I was very impressed by the residents when I met them this summer in Kansas City. I thought too, that having such a large residency class would be a good thing for many reasons. :thumbup:

I think it is an excellent program, and I was very impressed by the residents when I met them this summer in Kansas City. I thought too, that having such a large residency class would be a good thing for many reasons. :thumbup:

Thanks. Do you happen to have any inside knowledge about the program? Or was it from just meeting the residents? Any one else interview or do an elective there?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't have any inside information. Just my own eyes and ears and instincts.

I have seen alot of programs now and even from my own clinical rotations at different sites, I think you can get a decent feel for a 'good' program versus one that might have something 'off' about it. Via Christi struck me as a very strong program that prepared its residents well for good, solid FM. The midwestern programs - many of them are really outstanding.

I myself have not rotated there, but I know people who have. From what I have heard it is an excellent program that is strong in most areas, especially procedures and OB. I know a lot of their residents go on to practice in small towns and do c-sections, scopes, etc.

FM guy, thanks for your insight.

procedures + OB + huge program + strongly religious residents/program philosophy

If this all appeals to you, then go for it.

procedures + OB + huge program + strongly religious residents/program philosophy

The procedures, OB, and the large program were all draws to me. I am curious what you mean in regard to the religious aspect? I realize the hospital is a Catholic based institution, could you mention what you meant by the later part? Do you have to be hard core religious to be comfortable at this program?

There's a huge variation among religiously affiliated programs. Some are gay-friendly (faculty and residents) and very committed to reproductive health care. Others are much less friendly and have many faculty/residents who will not prescribe e.g. contraceptives because of personal beliefs.

ALL Catholic programs have to abide by the Catholic Council of Bishops' guidelines which essentially forbid vasectomies, tubal ligation, IUD placement, etc. There is more flexibility in terms of Depo and other contraceptives, though you are not going to be giving out free condoms in clinic. Some will forbid you to participate in abortions (even if off-site) while you are a resident. Others do not have absolute restrictions.

If this is an important issue to you, then you need to figure out where you stand and where the program stands. You also need to figure out whether you are comfortable in a work place where people do or do not profess their religious beliefs frequently and publicly.

There are nominally non-religious programs that I found to be even more conservative and restricted than some of the Catholic programs.

Just do your homework and be sure that you are going to a program that supports what is most important to you.

To start, notice that the Via Christi program page "What We Are Looking For" includes links to the Christian Medical and Dental Association (which has a very strong evangelical mission) and the anti-abortion Choices Clinic in Wichita. Also read their statement on their web page:
"Issues of faith are very important to a majority of the faculty and residents, and the religious philosophy of our residency and hospital system allows and encourages us to care for "the whole person" (body, mind, and spirit), the underserved, and those experiencing crisis pregnancies."

If this is what you're looking for, go for it.

Last edited:
I spent quite a bit of time at Via Christi. I really liked the program had it ranked #2 on my rank list. As other have said has a very strong OB component. I thought the number of procedures was not any more extensive than many other programs I applied to. The religious aspect was not a big issue for me. Never felt like it was being pushed on me or that I would be uncomfortable. And that's from a pro choice, socially liberal person.