Video games in med school - who still does it?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uspchef

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with all the new games coming out this year (gta5, ac3, bioshock infinite, gow, what else am I missing?), who's gonna miss being a free man?

Members don't see this ad.

First, you're missing Halo 4? How do you miss the grand daddy of all shooters? What's wrong with you?

All kidding aside, my plan is to bust my ass during the semester then catch up on games during Christmas break. It's going to be like the good old undergrad days, 10 - 12 hour marathons.

Unless you have exams coming up, you'll still find plenty of time to game.

I've been playing a lot of Skyrim, MW3, BF3, and Forza 4. Can't wait for D3 :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have exams coming up, you'll still find plenty of time to game.

I've been playing a lot of Skyrim, MW3, BF3, and Forza 4. Can't wait for D3 :D

Ditto on the MW3. Waaay too much MW3

Anyone play BF3 on Xbox360? PM me for my gamertag. Med student clan! :laugh:

I have resorted to playing all my games offline, and no longer play any online games as I find those too addictive. It's much easier to just play around of AOE2 over the lan with a friend than online where you feel like you have to get back at someone ;-).

jsut got through prototype 2, ME3, Rage, Skyrim, GoW3, AC:R.... few others in there. Weekends are dedicated to gaming. once D3 comes out I will vanish all together :laugh:

First, you're missing Halo 4? How do you miss the grand daddy of all shooters? What's wrong with you?.

Thank you, sir. :thumbup::thumbup:

And I also plan to tear up my winter break with video games in medical school. Especially with 4 coming out in Fall 12'. I've been blowing up Skyrim all through exam week trying to get as much out of it as I can before school starts in July.

My 4 week winter vacation is reserved for snowboarding :)

Diablo 3 on May 15th FTW.

Haha... I take boards in June though... so I think I am going to wait till then to have no life outside of rotations.

I have resorted to playing all my games offline, and no longer play any online games as I find those too addictive. It's much easier to just play around of AOE2 over the lan with a friend than online where you feel like you have to get back at someone ;-).

AOE2 ON GAMERANGER!!!!!!!!!! never gets old

You'll have time to play while you are in school. No need to wait til vaca. But you'll absolutely love 4th year when you're bugging out early everyday. Then you can smile at all the M1/M2's who have tests to study for while you get to plop your ass down in from of the TV with a Red Stripe and Uncharted 5: Drake's Comin' For Yo Momma's Treasure! Yea for 4th year!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is D3?

Sent from my ADR6300 using SDN Mobile

Diablo 3. Like WoW but without the contract w the devil

Diablo 3 on May 15th FTW.

Haha... I take boards in June though... so I think I am going to wait till then to have no life outside of rotations.

Same, have to wait till after boards to play this, otherwise I'll never get any studying done.

I've been playing tribes ascend a lot. I should cut back.

I loved D2 LOD, but my worst fear is that D3 is gonna be too much like WoW

I think the key difference is it is still sold as a single-player game with multiplayer ability. So you dont need the whole online community paradigm thing to beat a dungeon. But blizzard has been using the same graphics engine for all of their products since warcraft III so.....

I wish i could check out the new Diablo 3... i use to be addicted to that ****.

I still do!

Currently playing: Super Street Fighter IV AE 2012, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Xenoblade

I think the key difference is it is still sold as a single-player game with multiplayer ability. So you dont need the whole online community paradigm thing to beat a dungeon. But blizzard has been using the same graphics engine for all of their products since warcraft III so.....

I just hate that they took away the customizability kind of by getting rid of the stat and skill points, I'll cry if it's anything like WoW hahah

I just hate that they took away the customizability kind of by getting rid of the stat and skill points, I'll cry if it's anything like WoW hahah

I think blizzard realizes that no one wants D3 to be like WoW and their cognition of this will ultimately benefit the game.

I also was not big on getting rid of the stat and skill points but let's be honest, we would just dump as much as we can into vita anyways. It was almost not customizable at that point!

I play BF3 and MW3 on xbox. I will also be getting Borderlands 2 as the first one was awesome.

I thought that was just for the beta to demo the characters. I cant imagine they would really make that go away.... if they did I will not be playing.

I thought that was just for the beta to demo the characters. I cant imagine they would really make that go away.... if they did I will not be playing.

I thought it was for good, but I sure hope I'm wrong

I checked the thing... apparently skills are unlocked at certain levels and powerd up with runes. I guess there is a way to earn runes (items? maybe) such that you still customize your skill tree. if everyone has the same skills it is going to be very lame

I checked the thing... apparently skills are unlocked at certain levels and powerd up with runes. I guess there is a way to earn runes (items? maybe) such that you still customize your skill tree. if everyone has the same skills it is going to be very lame

I don't think that is going to be an issue. From my understanding each rune changes every skill you have a certain way. There are 7 different runes which have 7 different effects on any given skill. That way you can completely change the effect of a skill one way with a rune, and then another skill you want to use in a different way with a different rune.

any reviews on D3 yet? anyone play the beta or whatever it is? considering getting it after the boards

You can still game and do very well in school. Plenty of people play video games, which is good cause there are more awesome games coming out very soon :D

Does Trauma Center Second Opinion count? It's technically educational!

For those of you still planning on spending hours playing video games in med school see the other thread in DO forum:

Dismissed from DO School, Want Back In, Need Help!!

Thanks, Mom.

now if only that thread was at all related to video games :p

Best thing I ever did was stop playing video games. They're an absolute time suck and totally pointless for anything relevant.. and this is coming from someone who would play first person shooter's 35+ hours a week.

Does Trauma Center Second Opinion count? It's technically educational!

On that note, since I love the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games ......does that mean I'm really destined for law school?

Best thing I ever did was stop playing video games. They're an absolute time suck and totally pointless for anything relevant.. and this is coming from someone who would play first person shooter's 35+ hours a week.

Time sink you mean? I think when it comes to these things..discipline is definitely needed. No different than spending too much time watching TV or on Facebook.

Last edited:

I stay up all night with it and sometimes when I do sleep I wake up in the middle of the night because it calls to me. I spend hundreds of dollars a month on it. I've given up on a lot of friendships and hobbies because my time is much better spent with it. It affects my school-work, but I find a way to make due because it is TOTALLY worth it. In fact, I'm playing with it right now as I type this since I am so addicted.

Should I get rid of it? I wouldn't dare try...his Mom would get pissed.

Thanks, SDN mom. Bazinga. :love:

Time sink you mean? I think when it comes to these things..discipline is definitely needed. No different than spending too much time watching TV or on Facebook.

agreed. It's annoying when weird people think "Videogames are a waste of time!" when they spend their free time watching TV, browsing the internet or reading a book. They are all things regular people do in their spare time when not out with people or at school/work.

It's a HOBBY. Like any other hobby, balance is the key.

agreed. It's annoying when weird people think "Videogames are a waste of time!" when they spend their free time watching TV, browsing the internet or reading a book. They are all things regular people do in their spare time when not out with people or at school/work.

It's a HOBBY. Like any other hobby, balance is the key.

The danger is that video games have the capability to be way more addicting than browsing the internet or reading a book. That's why students who have weak discipline should stay away from video games. The people who have trouble are the ones who indulge at the expense of their academic and professional responsibilities. You never hear about people blowing off school or work to surf the internet do you? But you hear it all the time with MMORPG's. If you are disciplined and can set limits on your 'fun-time' while maintaining your proper focus, then you should not have problems!

The danger is that video games have the capability to be way more addicting than browsing the internet or reading a book. That's why students who have weak discipline should stay away from video games. The people who have trouble are the ones who indulge at the expense of their academic and professional responsibilities. You never hear about people blowing off school or work to surf the internet do you? But you hear it all the time with MMORPG's. If you are disciplined and can set limits on your 'fun-time' while maintaining your proper focus, then you should not have problems!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...ction-changes-brain-similar-to-cocaine-study/

This should cover every angle of our discussion. End.

On that note, since I love the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games ......does that mean I'm really destined for law school?

Absolutely. What did you get on your LSAT? Lol

I like the fact that the OP is a incoming pcomer...

Anyways I've been in D3 beta and it's pretty amazing. The game feels very complete and up to date but I fear that it won't have the same OMG effect that D2 had. With that being said I think I'll be rolling monk because he sounds slightly Russian. Will mix well when drinking.

O and as for the rune system it's pretty cool. Every character gets spells as they level but you also unlock runes which you can apply to your spell. you can have up to 6 spells active. This means that you have six slots to bind to your mouse. Each spell can have one of like 6 runes applied to it which gives it a boost. Every spell has 6 unique runes to choose from. For example you could apply an aoe effect to an attack or a knock back to it but not both. furthermore the most unique and interesting thing that I have seen is the crafting system. you get to drop G's on your blacksmith so he can build you cooler stuff. You also have to collect mats to forge them...a bit of WoWness but w/e.

I stay up all night with it and sometimes when I do sleep I wake up in the middle of the night because it calls to me. I spend hundreds of dollars a month on it. I've given up on a lot of friendships and hobbies because my time is much better spent with it. It affects my school-work, but I find a way to make due because it is TOTALLY worth it. In fact, I'm playing with it right now as I type this since I am so addicted.

Should I get rid of it? I wouldn't dare try...his Mom would get pissed.

Thanks, SDN mom. Bazinga. :love:

Just to let you know, your humor and genius did not go unappreciated. :thumbup::D