Videos that show the work of psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoenberg3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I apologize for posting two threads that are somewhat similar; I had posted about a similar topic on shadowing psychiatrists but felt that a separate topic need to be posted to receive enough answers on a different question.

To provide a background, I have deferred my acceptance from medical school (still figuring my life out...) and would love to learn more about the work of a psychiatrist because I am currently most interested in pursuing this specialty.
Since shadowing psychiatrists might be difficult due to the nature of work, I am wondering if people can point me to video resources which shows the psychiatrist doing his job (could be a mock-up and not a real case). I am really desperate to get an idea of how therapy is performed (esp. in private practice settings).

If no such thing exists, documentaries (or even movies) that might give me a decent idea would be good.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

In Treatment is not how the majority of psychiatrists practice; it's closer to how a psychologist practices, but even then much of his way of practicing is more psychodynamic than many psychologists are oriented today. The show is obviously stylized in a dramatic way, as well.

If you were to be a fly on the wall in a psychiatrist's office, which is what you're looking for, I think you would find that it's a lot like any other medical consultation. I would say that because people are afraid of mental illness and maybe due to a perceived need to legitimize mental illness as actual illness, the consultations, which are about the human mind and soul, are actually surprisingly sterile given what it's all about. It's not inherently humanistic; although, any particular practitioner could be humanistic.

I have no idea what psychiatrists are like when they actually practice therapy. I know there are self-pay psychiatrists who offer therapy, but I've never seen one. But if you were to see one, it would vary widely based on the the therapeutic technique they choose. Sometimes psychiatrists consider very brief conversations to be therapy, or at least bill it as such. You might not even recognize it as therapy if you were to witness it.

I don't know of any documentaries by names, but I've seen ones on PBS before on psychiatry in prisons. They probably have more access due to the patients already having less privacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to you YouTube and search under 'Psychiatry Training Videos'. Most of them are basic examination type scenarios, MSE's and the like, but they do give you a sense of how a Psychiatrist might interact with a patient in general. In terms of specific therapy videos though, it depends on what modality of therapy you're talking about.

Here's an example of a session (patient is portrayed by an actor) that uses Transference Based Psychotherapy.

Another role played session with a brief example of integrated CBT using the Boffey Map

You can also access a variety of other role played sessions with different therapy techniques here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpBmLvp1LDaRdc2-fGMyrT9fs2VI73ZEs

You might also want to search for specific therapies like Psychodynamic, Humanistic, Mindfulness based, Acceptance and Commitment, Psychoanalytical, and so on. Keep in mind as well that depending on a Psychiatrist's training, and the patient's needs, several therapies can overlap.

RANZCP, Australia and New Zealand's Psychiatric governing body also has some webinars and other presentations available, which you may be interested in.

https://www.ranzcp.org/Publications/Presentations.aspx

Reactions: 1 user

I could add to that a bit:
Psychiatrist: Any thoughts of suicide?
Patient: No, but—
Psychiatrist: Save that for your therapist. Any side effects?
Patient: Well, it's hard to tell because–
Psychiatrist: That's fine.
Patient: Shouldn't I have my lithium blood levels checked at least once? I've been on it for four months.
Psychiatrist: You're such a spaz. Is there anything else you needed?
Patient: Needed?
Psychiatrist: What other drugs do you need?
Patient: You're the doctor, so I don't know. What do you think I need?
Psychiatrist: Well these ones are new. I like them because you can open the capsule and sprinkle it on food. It's good for patients who have trouble swallowing.
Patient: I don't have trouble swallowing pills, but do you think I need it? What is it for?
Psychiatrist: Take the sample and tell me what you think. People seem to be liking it. Try it on apple sauce, or a pudding cup!
Patient: Thank you doctor.

Here's an example of a session (patient is portrayed by an actor) that uses Transference Based Psychotherapy.
Hmm, that was very interesting, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
I could add to that a bit:
Psychiatrist: Any thoughts of suicide?
Patient: No, but—
Psychiatrist: Save that for your therapist. Any side effects?
Patient: Well, it's hard to tell because–
Psychiatrist: That's fine.
Patient: Shouldn't I have my lithium blood levels checked at least once? I've been on it for four months.
Psychiatrist: You're such a spaz. Is there anything else you needed?
Patient: Needed?
Psychiatrist: What other drugs do you need?
Patient: You're the doctor, so I don't know. What do you think I need?
Psychiatrist: Well these ones are new. I like them because you can open the capsule and sprinkle it on food. It's good for patients who have trouble swallowing.
Patient: I don't have trouble swallowing pills, but do you think I need it? What is it for?
Psychiatrist: Take the sample and tell me what you think. People seem to be liking it. Try it on apple sauce, or a pudding cup!
Patient: Thank you doctor.

And I could give an alternate view ;)

(Actual session with my Psychiatrist, paraphrased from memory, after I made a rather farcical, spur of the moment, not very well thought out, suicide attempt last year...yeah it was dumb, and I'm an idiot. :rolleyes:)

Edited: Oops, okay that was way too long to post that wall 'o' text. I'll work out a way to link to it instead. Heavily paraphrased, obviously, I can't remember the session word for word, but it does give a half decent overview of a Psychiatrist handling a specific incident through therapeutic intervention.

Last edited:
Bellevue: Inside Out is a documentary about a psychiatric emergency room. It's psychiatry's version of those medical reality shows and I'm grateful that these patients were willing to share their stories on camera.

Reactions: 2 users