Villanova (or Philly area) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanjt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to this forum. I'm sure i'll be around a bit on my long journey towards becoming a doctor.

I graduated from UPenn in May of 08 with a degree in Economics. For the last year I have been working in a field completely unrelated to healthcare. I have now decided I would like to go to med school and so am applying to Post-bac programs to fill my requirement. I'm looking to stay in the Philly area, so I applied to Villanova, Drexel, LaSalle, and Rutgers. (I didn't apply to Penn because I don't have any relevant healthcare experience or volunteer work like they ask for.)

My question is: What's the deal with the Villanova post-bac pre-health certificate program? (http://www.villanova.edu/vpaa/parttime/programs/certificate/prehealth.htm)

The application was not that involved at all, and it seems like its not really competitive..more like, submit your application and then you can come take classes here. Does anyone know anything about this program? Is it structured? Do you get an advisor or reccommendations? MCAT classes? Or is it more or less you're just on your own to take the classes and then apply...

Thanks for your help all.

-r

Members don't see this ad.

While I don't have any direct answer for you, the post-bacc world, in general I think, isn't about how competitive the program is. It's a means to an end, so they aren't all that competitive to get into.
But what I really wanted to suggest is for you to perhaps mull over the idea of picking a program that may offer you a linkage to their medical school program if you do well enough and meet all the requirements, you know?

Hi All,

New to this forum. I'm sure i'll be around a bit on my long journey towards becoming a doctor.

I graduated from UPenn in May of 08 with a degree in Economics. For the last year I have been working in a field completely unrelated to healthcare. I have now decided I would like to go to med school and so am applying to Post-bac programs to fill my requirement. I'm looking to stay in the Philly area, so I applied to Villanova, Drexel, LaSalle, and Rutgers. (I didn't apply to Penn because I don't have any relevant healthcare experience or volunteer work like they ask for.)

My question is: What's the deal with the Villanova post-bac pre-health certificate program? (http://www.villanova.edu/vpaa/parttime/programs/certificate/prehealth.htm)

The application was not that involved at all, and it seems like its not really competitive..more like, submit your application and then you can come take classes here. Does anyone know anything about this program? Is it structured? Do you get an advisor or reccommendations? MCAT classes? Or is it more or less you're just on your own to take the classes and then apply...

Thanks for your help all.

-r