viscosity and degrees of unsaturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kismetcatcher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question of degrees of unsaturation in fat versus viscosity.

TPR explains: "In general, fats with more unsaturation experience weaker intermolecular forces. Since viscosity depends directly on intrmolecular force strength, viscosity should decrease with increasing unsaturation. Only the graph in choice C shows this behavior."

(Graph C shows a linear line with negative slope. X-axis is degree of unsaturation, and y scale is viscosity).

Unless I am taking viscosity to mean something different, but I thought that viscosity increases with increasing unsaturation?? (more kinks= less likely it will sit around like a stick of butter?)

Can someone explain?? Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

TPR explains: "In general, fats with more unsaturation experience weaker intermolecular forces. Since viscosity depends directly on intrmolecular force strength, viscosity should decrease with increasing unsaturation. Only the graph in choice C shows this behavior."

(Graph C shows a linear line with negative slope. X-axis is degree of unsaturation, and y scale is viscosity).

Unless I am taking viscosity to mean something different, but I thought that viscosity increases with increasing unsaturation?? (more kinks= less likely it will sit around like a stick of butter?)

okay, I think maybe I understand. more viscous is more thick... so increasing degrees of unsat. decreases viscosity.

Yay it makes sense!!!

u answered your own q more kinks= more unsaturation therefore less viscous.