Viscosupplimentation for hip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJPAIN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a patient who wants a viscosupplimention injection in the hip. I am aware it's off label.
Anyone have experience with this? If so, what product(s). I would prefer a one shot product unless anyone has good experience otherwise. Since he will be paying OOP for this I can use anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive done it. Orthovisc i think. Worked about as well as you would expect

Members don't see this ad :)
3 injections or just 1 and pray?

we had a sample left over. i dont think there is any good data out there, but the hip is a MUCH bigger joint that the knee, and it can hold a lot more fluid. maybe the visco helps a bit. i wouldnt bet on it doing all that much. if it worked well, you can bet the producers of this stuff would put out the data about its efficacy. i was involved in some preliminary studies about hip OA and visco, and was planning on being a part of a trial, but it fizzled out ,and i never heard back from them.

Monovisc or their covered 1 and done product. I still have nightmares about the pseudoseptic reactions we dealt with in training with Synvisc One. I've done hips N=5 fair results. If you could get it paid for thru the pharmacy, that would be slick!

Reactions: 1 user
I have a patient who wants a viscosupplimention injection in the hip. I am aware it's off label.
Anyone have experience with this? If so, what product(s). I would prefer a one shot product unless anyone has good experience otherwise. Since he will be paying OOP for this I can use anything.

Mix in PRP and do it for cash. It works better...

Reactions: 2 users
Any experience with A2m and HA? I believe he is on Plavix +\- ASA.

If I use a one shot product this is going to cost above $1250 for my cost for just the supplies and drug.

If I use a one shot product this is going to cost above $1250 for my cost for just the supplies and drug.

I do A2M and HA too. In fact, for the femoral-acetabular joint, A2M is a great option. It's not really regenerative but anti-catabolic.

HA cost $$$$ and is not covered by insurance.

PRP not covered by insurance and money goes to Dr. NJ

HA vs PRP studies - PRCT at least 6-7 of them for the knees. 3 or 4 for hip.

PRP >>> HA for knees, > for hips

visco studies never panned out well for hips that's why they never got the approval. otherwise, no reason not to. such a big market

HA cost $$$$ and is not covered by insurance.

PRP not covered by insurance and money goes to Dr. NJ

HA vs PRP studies - PRCT at least 6-7 of them for the knees. 3 or 4 for hip.

PRP >>> HA for knees, > for hips

visco studies never panned out well for hips that's why they never got the approval. otherwise, no reason not to. such a big market
Agree. Silly to use visco for hip. I’d go straight to PRP

I saw a study that supports PRP + visco work better than either alone

there are great studies that support this. clinical as well as basic science.

but need to re-evaluate the math

if

PRP > HA

PRP + HA > PRP or HA alone

is PRP x 2 better than PRP + HA?

for the same/similar cost

also... it's not just injecting the joint

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who use PRP, is there any interest in using BFR prior to obtaining the blood to increase platelet yield?

there was a study that showed even a short bit of exercise prior to blood draw changed the cytokine profile and the numbers as well.

Last edited:
there was a study that showed even a short bit of exercise prior to blood draw changed the cytokine profile and I believe the numbers as well... so is it the BFR? is this study funded by the delfi system?

There was a significant increase in platelet counts immediately after the exercise session (T0) for both the EXP (232,400/μL vs 266,600/μL; PRE range, 169,000-364,000/μL; T0 range, 153,000-439,000/μL; P < .002) and CON (235,900/μL vs 247,500/μL; PRE range, 133,000-428,000/μL; T0 range, 152,000-458,000/μL; P < .002) testing sessions. The average increase was higher after the EXP session versus the CON session

(mean difference [MD], 8,000/μL).

i'm not sure how clinically relevant this is.

There was a significant increase in platelet counts immediately after the exercise session (T0) for both the EXP (232,400/μL vs 266,600/μL; PRE range, 169,000-364,000/μL; T0 range, 153,000-439,000/μL; P < .002) and CON (235,900/μL vs 247,500/μL; PRE range, 133,000-428,000/μL; T0 range, 152,000-458,000/μL; P < .002) testing sessions. The average increase was higher after the EXP session versus the CON session

There's a lot of research happening with BFR at the moment. Hopefully there will be something that compares BRF PRP vs PRP.

Sorry - didn't see your Delphi question.Yes, they used the Delphi tourniquet system. Not sure if Delphi funded it.