Visiting Programs As a First-Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pronate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to be in the Houston area here in a few weeks and I'm thinking of visiting a program or two. I'm a first-year, but likely won't have too many opportunities to visit the area prior to applying for externships. Is it practical to try and get a feel for programs this early on?

I know there's a variety of factors to consider: programs changing from now until then, limited knowledge/experience to judge a program on, etc. But, the reality is there's a ton of programs and just several to choose from (regarding externships) in a limited amount of time, so I'm assuming it couldn't hurt to look around.

If so, any suggestions as to which program to visit? I know it's been talked about before that the Kingwood/West Houston program is very good, but not exactly visitor friendly. All I've heard about St. Joseph is that it's relatively new. Any insight on it or University General?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't comment on any of the programs in the Houston area, but I did visit a couple of programs during my 1st year and felt it was beneficial. Everyone seemed impressed that as a first year I was out visiting programs. I may not have known much of how to gauge a residency, but I made some good contacts which has helped me now that I am approaching externships.

I know it's been talked about before that the Kingwood/West Houston program is very good, but not exactly visitor friendly.

Why is it not visitor friendly?

I know Drs. Mendicino and Miller personally and they seem to always like to see the new students around. Give their residents a call!

Members don't see this ad :)
Visiting programs early can only be beneficial. It can certainly help in choosing your externships later down the road, and could help you avoid scheduling a dud. Make sure to meet the director because if you end up not respecting her or him, you would hate spending a month there and not learn as much.

If possible also try to meet the 3rd years to see if they seem well prepared and ready to practice.

Try to write things down (in order to get a basis for future comparison), but don't be annoying about it. And don't ask too many questions or suck up. Just try to enjoy the experience and see if you respect the people around you and determine if you like the environment.

I apologize that I have no insight into any of the programs that you mentioned.

I appreciate the feedback. Definitely what I was looking for.

Just what I took away from this thread (toward the end). I didn't mean that it appears students are unwelcome to visit - just that given its large setup throughout much of the city, it would be difficult to get a decent feel for what the program's all about in a day's visit. Might look into it anyhow, seeing as it gets very high praise overall.

I am pretty sure they don't take externs, and have heard that they typically don't have students visit, but just base who they take as residents off the interview. I am not sure about the visiting students part, but am pretty positive about no externs. I think Podfather is down around there, so he may know for sure.

To the OP, I visited a program in my 2nd year, and when I did a clerkship there a few months ago, both the attending and the resident I was with remembered me. It may not make a huge difference to the residency that you visited (grades, clerkship month, etc mean more than whether you spent a day there in your first year), but it will be good for you to start figuring out what things you are looking for in a residency and maybe narrowing down the list of choices of programs to extern at.

I am pretty sure they don't take externs, and have heard that they typically don't have students visit, but just base who they take as residents off the interview. I am not sure about the visiting students part, but am pretty positive about no externs. I think Podfather is down around there, so he may know for sure.

Wow, things must have really changed down there since I was coming up.