Void

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchaqueen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Planning on constructing 70+ applications while studying and then taking the MCAT is a recipe for disaster. Not even considering how you'll have to manage your medical needs with a new neurologist, etc. There is no reason to rush and apply this year. I understand that you don't want to delay, but that may be the most rational approach. A common refrain on this website is to only apply when you have the best possible application. Do you think you'll have that in a month?

Edit: I realize now you're only a junior in undergrad. I understand that this seems like the most important thing in the world - get into med school as quick as possible. You probably have tons of friends and classmates who are applying now, too. But your post reads of desperation. Why would you "literally go overseas?" Tend to your health and wellbeing, medical school will be there. Focus on doing well on the MCAT this summer, do well in your senior year classes, construct a coherent narrative for your application, and apply with a targeted school list. I'm sure you'll have success when the time comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Planning on constructing 70+ applications while studying and then taking the MCAT is a recipe for disaster. Not even considering how you'll have to manage your medical needs with a new neurologist, etc. There is no reason to rush and apply this year. I understand that you don't want to delay, but that may be the most rational approach. A common refrain on this website is to only apply when you have the best possible application. Do you think you'll have that in a month?

Edit: I realize now you're only a junior in undergrad. I understand that this seems like the most important thing in the world - get into med school as quick as possible. You probably have tons of friends and classmates who are applying now, too. But your post reads of desperation. Why would you "literally go overseas?" Tend to your health and wellbeing, medical school will be there. Focus on doing well on the MCAT this summer, do well in your senior year classes, construct a coherent narrative for your application, and apply with a targeted school list. I'm sure you'll have success when the time comes.
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response. I truly appreciate it. :)

I’m a senior! I have been since last summer. I don’t have any friends. However, a bunch of people (same graduating class) I went to high school with, graduate from med school next year and in 2 years. So, maybe I unconsciously compared myself to them from when I was on social media? I don’t know anyone applying this cycle or next.

Yikes. I guess I am desperate. That’s why I’d literally go overseas. I will do anything and everything I can to make this my career. I was lost before my accident and somehow, something good came from it after it happened. Unfortunately, I can’t see myself in any other career path. Maybe I’ll have everything pushed back another year. I was originally supposed to apply last year. Another year won’t kill me.

Thank you again!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
You want brutal advice? Ok here you go:

Relax. Take a deep breath.

This isn't a "horrid mess". Adcoms love to see people overcome hardships. You literally got hit by a train. You didn't get a DUI, arrested, possession charges, caught cheating or clubbing baby seals.

I understand as well as anybody that you want to apply and get in as soon as possible. I'm a non trad that has been going through a post bac for over a year. I get it. But the mindset of 'get in this cycle or bust' is not realistic. Even the best applicants have to be okay with 2+ application cycles.

It sounds like you're still dealing with some of the symptoms of your accident. You need to be entirely sure that these are under control before you start medical school (and be able to prove it to adcoms). Getting accepted and then failing out of medical school would be the real "horrid mess".

To me, it seems like you might be ready to apply if you demonstrate that you're recovered, do well on your MCAT, and intelligently flesh out your story and how you dealt with it in your application (not to 61 MD schools though) . Take an honest look and think about if you're ready, and be okay with delaying a year. Others on this forum would provide a better assessment than me, though.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I may be understanding your story wrong, but have you fully recovered from your symptoms yet? It seems you're still struggling with some of them (with a lot of them having to do with your performance in an academic setting) and only recently set up an appointment with another doctor who you're hoping will help your situation, but haven't yet begun to tackle it yet... I would seriously advise against even worrying about applications until you've been a year or so out from full recovery in your symptoms. The reason for this is two-fold: 1) adcoms will unfortunately be curious about this and will want to have your personal promise that you have fully recovered from these symptoms that are preventing you from handling academic workload and 2) for your own safety, like someone mentioned, there is nothing worse than getting into medical school, accepting tens of thousands $$ worth of loans, then flunking out.

Also, many have mentioned that the school load you're trying to apply into is ludicrous. That is just simply unbearable considering the workload in secondaries let alone interviews + travelling even if you have a bottomless pit of financial support (which assuming you do if you can afford to apply to 70 schools).

I am so sorry that this event happened to you. It is impressive that here you are standing with an unnerved desire to get into medical school and overcome some of the challenges after your accident, it truly is inspiring. All I've said is not meant in any way shape or form to deter you from applying at some point, the W's are completely explainable and something you can work with given your situation. That said, I think the most important thing right now is recovering in your health and state of mind before you overload yourself with a process that you likely are not ready for if you're still suffering from symptoms. I wish you all of the best. There is no rush, medical schools will still be here whenever you're completely ready to apply.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, very sorry to hear about your troubles.

Everything that you have written says to me, no actually screams to that you are not ready to continue on the pre-med path until you get your symptoms under control and you have healed fully.

You do not sound like you were in any position to take the MCAT, nor are you in any position to apply to medical school.

take the time to heal. Medical schools are not going anywhere, and by the time you're ready to apply more will have open their doors or expanded their classes.

Reactions: 5 users
This is not medical advice but rather personal advice. As others have said, you are trying to do WAY too much for someone who has not been stabilized medically.

You are trying to retake 5+ courses, take the MCAT, and apply to 70+ schools this summer? You shouldn't be doing even one of those things this summer, let alone all three.

After 16 withdrawals, you need to show schools you can function at 100%. Medical school is stressful and mentally taxing (kinda obvious but worth emphasizing). You need to slowly ramp up to full-time classes again, then take the MCAT, then apply for medical school.

Again, this is not medical advice, but if I were your friend, I would recommend that you follow up with a psychiatrist and/or physiologist in addition to the neurologist. Your decision making capacity at the present is very concerning. Your rush to get into medical school is not atypical, but it will almost certainly be your undoing. Even people functioning at 100% neurologically might break under the stress you are planning for this summer.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hi there,

I was hit by a train while driving after having a seizure on the road. After my recovery, I finished my courses for that semester. A year later and I've had a semi serious decline in cognitive/physical abilities (seizures that were daily but now weekly, HORRIBLE stuttering/pausing, can barely read some days, the days I read or after looking at a screen for awhile, I can't speak for up to 30 seconds then I'm completely thrown off for a few hours). Throughout the beginning of these new/old symptoms appearing, I didn't realize I wasn't being treated properly when my primary care doctor suggested I see a psychiatrist. I sought mental health professionals, but unfortunately continued to decline with my health. Come to find out after my primary care doctor mocked me during my last appointment, she doesn't believe I was in a serious accident with a train and am struggling neurologically. She's receives all my hospital files from my visits, so I don't know what's up with that. Anyway, I finally got a neurology referral and will be seeing them in 2 weeks.

I don't think I need to explain how DAUNTING these last 2 semesters were physically and emotionally. I wish I had gone about so many things differently, but I didn't. I withdrew from 8 classes both semesters. Previously, I was taking 7-8 classes each semester, summers included. I had a 3.9+ GPA until Fall '20 when I withdrew from 8/9 courses. The one course was a C- (in an entry level history class... I used text to audio so I could do my assignments, but I just... I don't know). Now, I have a 3.6+ GPA and 16 withdrawals of the same courses on my record. I retake the courses this summer.

This is what I'm doing differently. I'll be going to the neurologist, so that will help tremendously. I'm going to apply for accommodations at my university. I've been preparing to take the MCAT which will be in a few weeks. I apply in June. I graduate Spring '22. However, I'm wondering if I should even take the MCAT and apply? Should I wait a year? I really, truly do not want to wait a year. I don't even know how that would help. I will literally go overseas.

I'm applying to 61 MD and 11 OD schools (I should probably increase the amount of OD schools). My accident was the catalyst for me volunteering at the hospital, starting my own organization, and wanting to go to med school, but the accident has messed me up temporarily. Obviously, I wouldn't mention the poor care of my primary care doc in my apps. I don't want to sound negative.

ECs: United Nations Association of the USA (Member), Girl Up UN Foundation (North Alabama President), Rose Heart Society (Founder, gift jars and donations for patients & staff), Miracle Makers Club (Fundraising Volunteer), Looming with Love (Knitter, beanies for cancer patients), Inspired Arts (Former Assistant Director, free performing arts for children), I love soldering metals, Taekwondo team (2 yrs), CS club (1 yr), Chinese Lantern Festival (season volunteer), ESL Assistant, Medical Careers Club, Honor societies

Anyway, how're my chances looking for getting into medical school? Be brutal. I need help. All of this is messy.

I'm sorry this is written kind of poorly.

Genesis

Your list of ECs is very specific so you will likely be very identifiable. Is your username also your name? Please think about protecting your anonymity.

Regardless there's a lot to unpack here. The W's are understandable and the least of your worries right now. Your symptoms sound very debilitating and you don't specify whether they are improved. A neurologist may prescribe some medication to help, but honestly for traumatic brain injuries there's no magic bullet. It takes time and rest to heal (not medical advice, just general knowledge). If you are still having symptoms (which I assume you are as you state you're trying to get accommodations from the school), taking the MCAT might not be the best idea right now. You don't want to shoot yourself in the foot with a low MCAT score and then have to retake.

I think pushing back another year would be the wisest choice right now. It will give you time to get yourself in the right place physically and mentally.

Reactions: 5 users
You were wise to withdraw from these classes when it became clear that your medical condition prevented you from doing well.

However, I agree with others that you will be making a huge mistake by applying this cycle when you have yet to get your medical condition under adequate control, as evidenced by your still-recent withdrawals. The W's will not be held against you provided sufficient time has passed, and after you have shown that you can still perform at the level expected of successful applicants. You have yet to demonstrate this, and applying this cycle will likely be seen as a sign of poor judgment.

Taking the MCAT exam is stressful and requires several hours of complete undivided attention. This is not an exam you want to take while you are potentially undermedicated, or have just started a new medication regimen without knowing what adverse effects you may feel. Taking the MCAT and doing poorly under these circumstances would not reflect well on you.

I strongly recommend first getting your medical condition under control. Next, demonstrate that these troubles are fully behind you through at least a year of strong uninterrupted academic performance. Ace the MCAT then and apply in summer 2022 at the absolute earliest. Do not apply to 70 schools. Your odds of getting into a medical school will be similar if you applied to "just" 20-30 appropriately selected schools. Just my thoughts and best of luck.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users