volunteer/shadowing opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parkodonto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Ethan and I have been through this path(International Program) almost 10 years ago. I am currently working as an associate dentist and planning on opening my practice.
I would be more than happy to share my experience and to accept volunteers or shadowers in my practice (Los Angeles, CA).
Wish you all the best and yes! you can do it!!! :D

Thanks,
Ethan

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s really nice of you, I wished I lived in LA just to drop by and shake your hand, not a lot of people are willing to do this. God bless you. 👍👍👍👍

Hi all,

My name is Ethan and I have been through this path(International Program) almost 10 years ago. I am currently working as an associate dentist and planning on opening my practice.
I would be more than happy to share my experience and to accept volunteers or shadowers in my practice (Los Angeles, CA).

Thanks,
Ethan
Hi Ethan,
Maybe you can help me with some information. My friend is a practicing dentist overseas and he has been for .. well many years. I went to visit past month and he asked me to look into what he would need to do to be able to get licensed in the US and move his practice here. Well, I'm a programmer, have no idea about all this dentist stuff 😁 but he's a good friend and an amazing dentist, so here I am, 12:26 am looking at information I understand nothing of.
Is there a number I can call where someone can tell me everything he will need to get licensed in the US? Or could you please point me in the right direction on where to start?
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Ethan,
Maybe you can help me with some information. My friend is a practicing dentist overseas and he has been for .. well many years. I went to visit past month and he asked me to look into what he would need to do to be able to get licensed in the US and move his practice here. Well, I'm a programmer, have no idea about all this dentist stuff 😁 but he's a good friend and an amazing dentist, so here I am, 12:26 am looking at information I understand nothing of.
Is there a number I can call where someone can tell me everything he will need to get licensed in the US? Or could you please point me in the right direction on where to start?
Thank you in advance!
The first question is, what country did your friend graduate from dental school? The reason why I’m asking is because if it was in an English speaking country he doesn’t have to translate his transcripts. But to resume the steps is more or less like this.

1) Have his transcripts evaluated by ECE or WES
2) Take the TOEFL exam
3) Register on the ADA website to acquire a DENTPIN
4) With the DENTPIN acquired, take the Integrated National Dental Board Examination (INBDE)
5) Apply for dental schools “He’ll need to do 2 years of practical in an US - Accredited dental school”
6) Apply for a license in whatever State he wants to work.

There are little details here and there not mentioned but that’s the overall process.

The first question is, what country did your friend graduate from dental school? The reason why I’m asking is because if it was in an English speaking country he doesn’t have to translate his transcripts. But to resume the steps is more or less like this.

1) Have his transcripts evaluated by ECE or WES
2) Take the TOEFL exam
3) Register on the ADA website to acquire a DENTPIN
4) With the DENTPIN acquired, take the Integrated National Dental Board Examination (INBDE)
5) Apply for dental schools “He’ll need to do 2 years of practical in an US - Accredited dental school”
6) Apply for a license in whatever State he wants to work.

There are little details here and there not mentioned but that’s the overall process.
He graduated in Romania, so he will most definitely have to translate everything.
Does he have to take these steps in the order that you wrote them? For point 5, will he have to go to school like a regular student or is there like a shadowing program, I mean something like residency for non dental medical students?
He will know what all those acronyms are right? Or is there somewhere I can look it up?
If I'm lucky, he will come to Texas 😎 I would love to be able to have him as my dentist.
He (nor you) seemed to be worried about entering the US, but I remember over a decade ago, when I planned on moving to the US, it wasn't as simple as "well, I want to, so let's go". Isn't there a specific visa or something that he'll need to enter the US? He said he wants to know what the .. Board of dentistry or something like that needs .. but I'm worried about the actual entering in the US or do dentist's get some special pass?
Thanks for your reply!

He graduated in Romania, so he will most definitely have to translate everything.
Does he have to take these steps in the order that you wrote them? For point 5, will he have to go to school like a regular student or is there like a shadowing program, I mean something like residency for non dental medical students?
He will know what all those acronyms are right? Or is there somewhere I can look it up?
If I'm lucky, he will come to Texas 😎 I would love to be able to have him as my dentist.
He (nor you) seemed to be worried about entering the US, but I remember over a decade ago, when I planned on moving to the US, it wasn't as simple as "well, I want to, so let's go". Isn't there a specific visa or something that he'll need to enter the US? He said he wants to know what the .. Board of dentistry or something like that needs .. but I'm worried about the actual entering in the US or do dentist's get some special pass?
Thanks for your reply!
Before the ADA let’s him take the national board examination I think they’ll ask him for the translated transcript, evaluated transcript and TOEFL scores, so I would follow that order. But I think he can get his DENTPIN before doing steps 1 and 2. As for step 5 he got a couple of options, he can enter the last two years of dental school and earn a DDS or DMD which is going to allow him to work anywhere in the U.S. or he can enter a general residency or specialty program, but some states won’t let him get a license with a general dentistry residency and some states won’t let him get a license with a specialty program. Texas allows you to get licensed with a specialty program but not a residency in general dentistry for example, Florida is the opposite. The visa question I don’t know how to answer that because I was born and raised in the U.S. I took the opposite route and went to dental school abroad, but I think that once he receives an invitation from a school he can then apply for a student visa.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Ethan
Hello Ethan,
Good to know about you. May I know where is your clinic? I live in California Riverside county. Are you nearby? I would lime to join you.
Thank you
Archana