volunteering experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was my first day volunteering in the emergency department making visitors' passes, and it's conveniently located next to the patient check in so I get to see all of the walk-ins. Besides being a patient myself, this is the first real experience I've gotten in a hospital setting and after just one evening I already know I want to have a career in healthcare whether I can make it to doctor status or not.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience they would like to share regarding how you know becoming a doctor/working in healthcare is what you want to do, or how your volunteer experiences have been for you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered at a hospital and eventually got my cna just to have exposure and have started volunteering at the Red Cross on post at the hospital I think volunteering is a good step and maybe you will find a dr to shadow while there.

I volunteer at a homeless shelter twice a week serving dinners. But I also wanted the hospital experience, so I took an extra class during undergrad and became a phlebotomist. You get to see a different side of health care that you won't get to see volunteering. You get to see and work in ever part of the hospital. I think it is one of the best ways to get experience and to see if it is what you really want to do. Also you meet a lot of doctors and nurses that can give you letters of recommendation for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer as an HIV counselor at a free STD Clinic one a week for several hours. I talk to clients before they receive their test and before they receive they're result.

It's one of the most awkward things I've done since we obviously talk about sex, protection, risk,etc. but I think it's also one of the most rewarding things because you really get to make a connection and potentially change someone's life for the better with educating them. It's surprising how little people know and what they assume or take for granted.

I'm also going to be volunteering in an ICU starting up in November to assist with patient access, I'm excited about that as well!

I already had a few years of volunteering full time, but I spent four hours a week volunteering in my local ER for the clinical experience. The work wasn't that great, but I got to meet some doctors who let me shadow them. As an added bonus, I was able to contribute to the Things I Learn From My Patients thread in the emergency medicine forum.

I volunteer as a paramedic, which is awesome, and sucks all at the same time.
It's hard, demanding work, and you have to be quick on your feet. You have to always be ready to summon up any of the tidbits of training and algorithms you memorized for any given situation.
It's stressful, but there is a lot of opportunity to make an immediate impact in someone's life, and you get to spend a lot of time with doctors and nurses in the ED.

Currently, I'm a volunteer with a dog rescue.
I know it's not directly dealing with people (as they don't have homes :()
but I walk dogs and bring them to meet and greets and help out however I can.

In the end, the dog finds his forever home and I made the lives of those who adopted them so much better. That's how I reflect on it :)