Volunteering hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted654432

What is the ideal # of: MD shadowing hours, Medical clinical experience and non-medical related volunteer hours for a good MD applicant with good grades and MCAT. Preferably only people who have been accepted into Med School answer please

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there.

On average, the accepted MD applicant has around 150 hours of clinical/hospital volunteering spread across 3 semesters (1.5 years) and around 50 hours of shadowing. I can't give you a number when it comes to non-medical community service, but I recommend at least a one-year commitment to a service organization such as Habitat for Humanity, America Read/Count, soup kitchens, etc.

Of course, when it comes to these types of activities, the more substantial, the better. Also keep in mind that long-term commitment over one particular activity is much more valuable than a collection of short-term/one time engagements.

In case you are wondering, I had (at the time of application) close to 300 hours of hospital volunteering, 150 hours of shadowing, and over 200 hours of community service (over 2 years) dedicated to a single organization. I also had 3+ years of research (both clinical/medicine and humanities) and a substantial amount of meaningful ECs in my humanities major.

My ECs are probably more significant than those of the average matriculant, but my sGPA is only around a 3.3.

Members don't see this ad :)
In case you are wondering, I had (at the time of application) close to 300 hours of hospital volunteering, 150 hours of shadowing, and over 200 hours of community service (over 2 years) dedicated to a single organization. I also had 3+ years of research (both clinical/medicine and humanities) and a substantial amount of meaningful ECs in my humanities major.

My ECs are probably more significant than those of the average matriculant, but my sGPA is only around a 3.3.

What MD school did you get accepted into?

Generally, SDN users don't disclose those sorts of things. The 150/50 stat is what you should be aiming for, however.

Reactions: 1 user