Volunteering/Shadowing hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veiovis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simple question regarding number of hours that would be "enough" for volunteering in my local hospitals ER and shadowing possibly 2 internists. What would be enough and what would be too little? Just trying to have a general ballpark idea of what I should be aiming for.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering: Sorry, welcome to the pre-med world... You unfortunately need longevity here. You want to accumulate a few hundred hours over a few years with a weekly commitment. If you quit before submitting your primary application, then you well look like a dreaded box-checker. ADCOMs don't like it, and will make you look bad. If you don't like volunteering, then too bad. It's the price you pay as a pre-med. See if you can do some positive things for yourself during volunteer shifts, like doing school work and shadowing during your shifts. Of course you should be respectful to the staff and do whatever you're asked, but maximize your productivity doing things for yourself.

Shadowing: There is no shame in treating this like a check-box item. Try to get at least fifty hours over mutliple specialties, and you'll be fine. You don't need a ton of hours or a huge continuous commitment.

If you find the hospital ER too boring as a volunteer, look for openings in local free clinics. Great exposure to diverse populations and they will definitely have something for you to do. Also try to get some experience volunteering in something outside of pt care (could still be related though). For example, walking dogs for the local animal shelter, tutoring kids with cancer, being a volunteer driver for pts to their appointments, etc.

Agreed with @Planes2Doc about shadowing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you find the hospital ER too boring as a volunteer, look for openings in local free clinics. Great exposure to diverse populations and they will definitely have something for you to do. Also try to get some experience volunteering in something outside of pt care (could still be related though). For example, walking dogs for the local animal shelter, tutoring kids with cancer, being a volunteer driver for pts to their appointments, etc.

Hospice is good, especially for bioethics/healthcare policy knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user
Volunteering: Sorry, welcome to the pre-med world... You unfortunately need longevity here. You want to accumulate a few hundred hours over a few years with a weekly commitment. If you quit before submitting your primary application, then you well look like a dreaded box-checker. ADCOMs don't like it, and will make you look bad. If you don't like volunteering, then too bad. It's the price you pay as a pre-med. See if you can do some positive things for yourself during volunteer shifts, like doing school work and shadowing during your shifts. Of course you should be respectful to the staff and do whatever you're asked, but maximize your productivity doing things for yourself.

Shadowing: There is no shame in treating this like a check-box item. Try to get at least fifty hours over mutliple specialties, and you'll be fine. You don't need a ton of hours or a huge continuous commitment.

Hospice is good, especially for bioethics/healthcare policy knowledge.

A clinic actually sounds like it would be interesting. How do I get the volunteering/shadowing hours verified?

A clinic actually sounds like it would be interesting. How do I get the volunteering/shadowing hours verified?

The hours are based on the honor system. You need to provide a contact when you fill out the primary application. It's highly unlikely that anyone will check it, but random checks or fishing expeditions do occur.

IMO try to volunteer regularly at a hospital; especially where you are able to interact with the patients. I've been volunteering in the burn unit here for the past 2.5 years where my primary duties are to talk to and feed patients, accumulated 200 hours, and witnessed numerous life changing stories. Greatest decision of my UG. Really is what made me passionate about medicine.