Volunteering Story

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a fun little story when I was doing some volunteering at a local community hospital on the medical and surgical floor. I was there putting together out-patient charts when someone walked up and asked if I could bring their wife an ice pack. Of course, I finished up the current chart and obliged with her request.

However, I hadn't opened one of the ice packs before... And, after around 3 minutes I was thinking to myself... Crap, I'll ask the medical school student down the hall. He's gotta be smart. I walk down to the medical school student to explain my problem, after around 5 minutes or so he couldn't figure it out either. :p

Then we brought it to the nurse and she says: "Oh, just do this", and it snaps open instantly.. I went back to show the medical school student... We both laughed, he said: "I never said you had to be smart to get into medical school, just work hard." Of course, it requires a baseline of academic intelligence. Although, I thought it was extremely funny and gave me a little hope for the years to come.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool story, but you're dumb. You see that blue pack? Just squeeze that as hard as you can. Don't worry, the actual ice pack itself won't pop open, at least not with your strength.

Maybe you'd get more serious responses in pre-allo. :shrug:
I figured I'd be trolled... It's a pretty funny story, all good. Hopefully maybe someone can see the concept behind besides a bunch of bored undergrad and medical students.

Some HS kids I tutored asked me how those icepacks work a while ago and they ended up getting a mini lecture on thermodynamics and the endothermic reaction of ammonium nitrate in water. They didn't really pay attention and all called me a loser (lol), but one day one of the kids ended up asking me for help writing a short paper on it for his chemistry class project. This kid seems to respect me much more now, pays attention, and comes with all sorts of science questions for me. Funny how an icepack is what helped me connect with at least on of these young lads after months of laboring in obscurity.

Reactions: 1 user