Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was volunteering over 40 hours a week for 2 months, then I got hired. They had me do everything a tech does, and the vets would sometimes let me in some rooms/explain xrays/microscope work/etc. For the first month, I was mostly cleaning. Then, they got to know me and saw I wasn't crazy, and started to trust me more. Now i get to watch even more than when I was just shadowing. Sometimes you'll watch things and people will be in your way. That's just how it is. If the doctor told you to stand there, stand there. At least you get to be there.

Members don't see this ad.

I was volunteering over 40 hours a week for 2 months, then I got hired. They had me do everything a tech does, and the vets would sometimes let me in some rooms/explain xrays/microscope work/etc. For the first month, I was mostly cleaning. Then, they got to know me and saw I wasn't crazy, and started to trust me more. Now i get to watch even more than when I was just shadowing. Sometimes you'll watch things and people will be in your way. That's just how it is. If the doctor told you to stand there, stand there. At least you get to be there.

See, that to me borders on illegal. It may even have crossed it.

The only time I can see a work schedule like that being legit is if someone is volunteering out of the good of their own heart for an actual nonprofit.

A veterinary clinic is a for-profit business and pre-vet students rely on them to get experience in order to be competitive for veterinary school. Totally different environment, totally different motivation of the volunteer. Because of this relationship of interdependence, there is easily an abuse of free labor. A bit of help around the clinic to make up for them taking you on is one thing. Working the same job as a technician over 40 hrs per week for free is very, very different.

Pre-vets, especially younger ones, are far too willing to put up with this because they think it is "normal" or the only way to gain experience. The whole "shut up and take it; at least you get to be there" is not a positive attitude. In fact, it leads to people chronically undervaluing themselves and putting up with being mistreated because they are convinced it is the norm to be grateful for being used (yes, used) in such a way.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The only time I can see a work schedule like that being legit is if someone is volunteering out of the good of their own heart for an actual nonprofit.

A veterinary clinic is a for-profit business and pre-vet students rely on them to get experience in order to be competitive for veterinary school. Totally different environment, totally different motivation of the volunteer. Because of this relationship of interdependence, there is easily an abuse of free labor. A bit of help around the clinic to make up for them taking you on is one thing. Working the same job as a technician over 40 hrs per week for free is very, very different.

Pre-vets, especially younger ones, are far too willing to put up with this because they think it is "normal" or the only way to gain experience. The whole "shut up and take it; at least you get to be there" is not a positive attitude. In fact, it leads to people chronically undervaluing themselves and putting up with being mistreated because they are convinced it is the norm to be grateful for being used (yes, used) in such a way.
yeah, but there are other issues, too. Like the tech students that we accept. They have to get their hours. They can work or they can volunteer. we work around their schedule most of the time and don't expect anything from them and help them sign off on their skills list.

yeah, but there are other issues, too. Like the tech students that we accept. They have to get their hours. They can work or they can volunteer. we work around their schedule most of the time and don't expect anything from them and help them sign off on their skills list.

True. I don't know a way around it. But I don't like it, that's all I'm saying.

You could almost make the same argument in a way about vet students. We provided a huge amount of service for the school and we weren't being paid. Heck, we were actually paying THEM thousands of dollars for the privilege of essentially working there. You'd think we'd get some sort of tuition reduction at the very least.

Reactions: 4 users

You could almost make the same argument in a way about vet students. We provided a huge amount of service for the school and we weren't being paid. Heck, we were actually paying THEM thousands of dollars for the privilege of essentially working there. You'd think we'd get some sort of tuition reduction at the very least.
I wish I could hire the current volunteer. That being said, we don't need her there. We don't make her clean for no reason (she needs to clean certain areas for her skills list), we don't make her do anything. We offer opportunities and she either says yes or no. We also provide food, water, and coffee on site.

But she's good. I may make her an offer.

I wish I could hire the current volunteer. That being said, we don't need her there. We don't make her clean for no reason (she needs to clean certain areas for her skills list), we don't make her do anything. We offer opportunities and she either says yes or no. We also provide food, water, and coffee on site.

But she's good. I may make her an offer.

See that's a different situation to me. Obviously clinics can't pay all volunteers/shadows. But you're making an effort to keep them from becoming just unpaid labor and making it more of a shadow experience. That's totally cool.

Sounds like all of those unpaid internships zoos have :rolleyes:

Edit: Not to mention when the internship is part of your degree program, so you pay somewhere around $3000 to clean up poop for a summer. lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

This is exactly why I won't go back to my old job unless I'm getting paid. No, I will not be your 'unlicensed tech' for free. I probably shouldn't have done it for $9 an hour while the receptionist with no experience was hired in at $12 an hour, either (that's another rant....). I no longer need to get into vet school. While getting more experience can only help me, I have told myself I won't do 'free labor' unless it's something more aligned with where I hope I end up in my career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like all of those unpaid internships zoos have :rolleyes:

A lot of zoos have a non-profit status. I was surprised a few years ago when I found out the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is a 501c3.

A lot of zoos have a non-profit status. I was surprised a few years ago when I found out the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is a 501c3.
Yeah, that's true. However, many aspiring zookeepers are still completing unpaid internships in hopes of getting hired, and I think that's unreasonable. A friend of mine completed 4 or 5 before she could finally get a seasonal job post-grad. It sometimes is a matter of gaining experience/applying at the right time, but sometimes it's almost like an 'initiation' in the zoo field. It's also one of those 'we require __ years of (paid) experience' for an entry level keeper position.

I also just flat out disagree with literally paying money to provide labor (in the case of the internship being for-credit). You can definitely do internships outside of school, which is a little more reasonable, but you still have to be able to make a living. If people refused to to unpaid work, I feel like those internships would disappear pretty quickly. They've become so customary in certain fields, though.

Probably my biggest issue with 4th year right now. It's a bit worse even out at NBC because you're responsible for all treatments during the day too even if you have to see appointments. Or you have to hope someone isn't busy and can cover for you.

See that's a different situation to me. Obviously clinics can't pay all volunteers/shadows. But you're making an effort to keep them from becoming just unpaid labor and making it more of a shadow experience. That's totally cool.
the job I had last literally referred to them as free labor. It was disgusting.

I volunteered/shadowed when I was very young. and it was one of the best experiences I've had (still). I keep trying to give future vets and techs those opportunities.

the job I had last literally referred to them as free labor. It was disgusting.

I volunteered/shadowed when I was very young. and it was one of the best experiences I've had (still). I keep trying to give future vets and techs those opportunities.

Same with my last job/lab. I was always into teaching and mentoring, but after that experience even more so. It solidified in my mind the type of person that I most certainly do NOT want to be in academia.

The clinic I shadowed at way back when had me help take care of boarders and do some cleaning here and there, but it was mostly watching procedures and sometimes helping restrain. If I had downtime during my shift, they had a little library of veterinary medicine-related books and let me read, which I liked a lot.

To both responses, there really isn't anywhere else to shadow or volunteer in my city. And there hasn't been an open animal related job in years. I've been searching. I've called all the clinics and shelters and none of them take volunteers or shadows except for the ones that I'm currently volunteering/shadowing at

There are always other options. I could not find veterinary work anywhere, so I moved in with an aunt and uncle in a far away city one summer and shadowed at their family vet. I got hired after the first day as a temporary summer assistant. That one job got me an actual tech job in my home town. Next summer, I did an unpaid internship in a different big city while living with relatives. Experience is like a snow ball effect, once you get some good experiences under your belt, it's easier to get more and more and more. Use your time off to your advantage to travel and get unique experiences in different places if there is absolutely no where to shadow in your hometown.

Also, remember that a clinic isn't the only source of experience. Look for wildlife rehab centers near you (preferably ones that have a vet on staff) local dairies (ask them who their vet is), etc. Keep an open mind and be creative

Reactions: 1 users
To both responses, there really isn't anywhere else to shadow or volunteer in my city. And there hasn't been an open animal related job in years. I've been searching. I've called all the clinics and shelters and none of them take volunteers or shadows except for the ones that I'm currently volunteering/shadowing at

@OP, if you don't mind my asking where are you? Rural small town, mid size city or something else? Are you in high school or college? Will you be at a 4 year college anytime soon? Just asking because 4 year colleges usually have a bit more of a population around them and thus more clinics and opportunities. If you're at a place far out in nowhere with only a handful of clinics that don't want shadows that could be an obstacle.

Do you have pets now? Who's your current vet? Perhaps you can shadow them? How far is your nearest big city? Is it anyplace you could make trips into? What do you do for summers? Would you want to consider a summer program shadowing/helping at a clinic?

My concern is twofold -
1) that you get used for free labor with no benefit to you and
2) that you don't get enough exposure to vet med and have a limited perception of what the field is like

I strongly feel that applicants should have plentiful hours in their preferred section of vet med so they know what they're getting into. It's not a job for everyone and only experience is going to tell you if it's something worth toughing out and going into debt for. You won't get that clarity from just staring at backs during surgery and cleaning ****. Quality experience is key.

As someone who has mentored for small bits, I'm all for exposing people to the good and ugly of the field so they can make educated choices about their own life/career. I feel it's my duty to show a possible future colleague a comprehensive view of my part of vet med. I'd hate for anyone to wander into this field with rose colored glasses and off base expectations. Shadowing is an important part of understanding what you may be getting into - I'm sorry that your experience is definitely lacking.

There are always other options. I could not find veterinary work anywhere, so I moved in with an aunt and uncle in a far away city one summer and shadowed at their family vet. I got hired after the first day as a temporary summer assistant. That one job got me an actual tech job in my home town. Next summer, I did an unpaid internship in a different big city while living with relatives. Experience is like a snow ball effect, once you get some good experiences under your belt, it's easier to get more and more and more. Use your time off to your advantage to travel and get unique experiences in different places if there is absolutely no where to shadow in your hometown.

I don't have a way to just move in with someone in another city, I have a job here and I'm in college at the community college here.

Also, remember that a clinic isn't the only source of experience. Look for wildlife rehab centers near you (preferably ones that have a vet on staff) local dairies (ask them who their vet is), etc. Keep an open mind and be creative

I've already contacted the wildlife center near me (which is in a different city), and they don't have anything animal related going on. I emailed the volunteer coordinator.

And to everyone else, I live in a stupid small city. It's called Titusville, Florida. It has no shopping center. There used to be the Space Center but got shipped away so basically everything else closed. I've called all vets and they can't use volunteers or shadows and the ones that could have too many volunteers already so they told me to try applying again in like a year.
If you research this city and find something, let me know. Because there isn't anything about this place lol We have some boarding for horses, but they don't use volunteers either.

What wording did you use when you contacted them? Because it might take some of the pressure off them if you said something like
"Hi, I'm going to be applying to vet school in a few years, and I was wondering if I could come observe you/the vet at your practice for a few hours."
If they say yes to that and you have a good experience, you can then ask if you can come again sometime. Then if all goes well it could maybe progress to a regular shadowing thing without them having to commit to too much at the beginning.

And to everyone else, I live in a stupid small city. It's called Titusville, Florida. It has no shopping center. There used to be the Space Center but got shipped away so basically everything else closed. I've called all vets and they can't use volunteers or shadows and the ones that could have too many volunteers already so they told me to try applying again in like a year.
If you research this city and find something, let me know. Because there isn't anything about this place lol We have some boarding for horses, but they don't use volunteers either.

You might want to consider pursuing summer employment outside of your community and possibly even outside of your state. When I was in undergrad I interned with the USDA-APHIS-Veterinary Services at their headquarters in Maryland. It was a well paid position, full time, non-clinical but I worked with tons of veterinarians and was given lots of freedom to explore the agency and shadow vets in other areas. The USDA also paid for my housing, which made the whole thing possible. Opportunities like that exist. They're not always convenient, but if you have limited local opportunities, it might be your way to build vet hours.

I know in the past, the USDA field offices in Florida have hired lots of students for internships with import/export stuff, vet entomology stuff, etc.

You might want to consider pursuing summer employment outside of your community and possibly even outside of your state. When I was in undergrad I interned with the USDA-APHIS-Veterinary Services at their headquarters in Maryland. It was a well paid position, full time, non-clinical but I worked with tons of veterinarians and was given lots of freedom to explore the agency and shadow vets in other areas. The USDA also paid for my housing, which made the whole thing possible. Opportunities like that exist. They're not always convenient, but if you have limited local opportunities, it might be your way to build vet hours.

I know in the past, the USDA field offices in Florida have hired lots of students for internships with import/export stuff, vet entomology stuff, etc.

That internship you did isn't available now, they had financial issues.

If you really can't find anything in your city, you're probably going to have to be willing to travel a bit to find experience. Do you have a car? I know commuting sucks, but if you find an experience that you feel you get more out of it'll be worth it.

If you really can't find anything in your city, you're probably going to have to be willing to travel a bit to find experience. Do you have a car? I know commuting sucks, but if you find an experience that you feel you get more out of it'll be worth it.

Yes, I do have a car. But in order for someone to hire me or take me on as an intern/volunteer. They're looking for experience, which I don't have much so far. I applied for Sea Worlds zoological internship. Also, I do have family in other cities, but everyone of them is in a hard spot. Ie; sister in orlando, the landlord is selling the house from underneath them. Aunt in Ohio, is going through a divorce with abusive/stalker spouse. And the other family members I have I don't know.

I don't have a way to just move in with someone in another city, I have a job here and I'm in college at the community college here.

I had a job and was in college too. I quit my job to pursue opportunities in vet med and in panned out very well. Sometimes you need to take risks and think outside the box, be creative. Because if you don't have experience in the field, you're not going to get in to vet school :/

I am a 19yo female. I have completed my first year of college, graduated highschool early (at 17, rather than 18). I'm looking to major in biology. I plan to go to UF after my AA is completed to finish my BS before applying to their VetMed program. I own my own car, have a full time job as a CNA in a Nursing/Rehab center.

I feel like I should state these things to give a better picture.

I had a job and was in college too. I quit my job to pursue opportunities in vet med and in panned out very well. Sometimes you need to take risks and think outside the box, be creative. Because if you don't have experience in the field, you're not going to get in to vet school :/

I would totally quit my job and go somewhere for experience. I've already dropped my 40-56 hour a week job to 16 hours and volunteering/shadowing the rest of my time (besides class time) for experience hours. Just there really isn't anywhere to go, lol. I would only be able to take a opportunity if I had somewhere to stay, my parents wouldn't let me stay in a box for experience hours. And most don't pay/provide housing.

I've been researching opportunities for a year or so now, and still have came up empty. I've tried the Brevard Zoo, all local clinics/shelters, farms, I even went outside of my city/county and applied for jobs for kennel tech/vet assistant positions in cities that are 30+ miles away from me. No luck at all.

I'm in a ****ty city and I know I have to get experience hours somewhere and somehow and I honestly am trying to find places. But I'm stuck where I'm at, I'm getting hours but no experience. So maybe once I get a couple hundred from this place I can apply somewhere and actually get accepted/hired.

Does UF allow undergrads to work/volunteer in the teaching hospital? Obviously that isn't an option until you get there, but it's something to keep in mind for experience.

Were you applying for those kennel jobs before your current experience? You have a little experience now, so you may have better luck. Also, make sure you send a resume and cover letter if you haven't been already, and include that you're interested in a career in vetmed. When we were hiring this summer, we had a lot of applications. People that took applying more seriously and were interested in the profession were the ones who stood out and that we asked for interviews.

I've already contacted the wildlife center near me (which is in a different city), and they don't have anything animal related going on. I emailed the volunteer coordinator.

Titusville is not a bad location, coming from someone who just moved out of central Florida. There are actually a lot of really cool places within a day's drive. CROW is a big one. I also know of an elderly couple that runs a well known rehab center out of their home that are always in need of help. It all depends on whether or not you're willing to relocate closer to these locations or drive more than 30 minutes. You are also an easy drive away from the Audubon center. Central Florida is teeming with wildlife and wildlife rehab centers. I'll tell you now that it's not terribly uncommon for someone to have to drive an hour one way for experience. I did it, as did others. Sometimes it just isn't convenient. I just did a quick google search and found 3 major wildlife places within an hour or so of you, so try expanding your search radius

Edit: Reminder that not all rehab places have a staff vet

And to everyone else, I live in a stupid small city. It's called Titusville, Florida. It has no shopping center. There used to be the Space Center but got shipped away so basically everything else closed. I've called all vets and they can't use volunteers or shadows and the ones that could have too many volunteers already so they told me to try applying again in like a year.If you research this city and find something, let me know. Because there isn't anything about this place lol We have some boarding for horses, but they don't use volunteers either.

Just Googled Titusville and 43,000 isn't that small of a city to be honest. My undergrad is in a town of 5,000 (with the students here) and we still have 3 vet clinics and 2 of them let people volunteer/shadow. Looking at the map of Titusville on Google, there are probably over 100 vet clinics within an hour to the south and west of Titusville (particularly to the west). My advice is to print out a bunch of copies of your resume, make a list of the 100 closest vet clinics to you, drive to 20 0f those clinics a day dressed in your best business clothes (I wore my interview suit), and keep doing that until you find a clinic. You can also check job boards for local vet tech/vet assistant programs to see if there are vet assistant positions open. It's not ideal because you'll be driving an hour or more one direction, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

As someone already suggested, go in person to ask about shadowing and dress nice! At my clinic, if you come in with your resume and a dirty tee shirt, chances are your paperwork will sit in our pile forever. The impression you make is huge. (Impression to staff as well as vet)

Just Googled Titusville and 43,000 isn't that small of a city to be honest. My undergrad is in a town of 5,000 (with the students here) and we still have 3 vet clinics and 2 of them let people volunteer/shadow. Looking at the map of Titusville on Google, there are probably over 100 vet clinics within an hour to the south and west of Titusville (particularly to the west). My advice is to print out a bunch of copies of your resume, make a list of the 100 closest vet clinics to you, drive to 20 0f those clinics a day dressed in your best business clothes (I wore my interview suit), and keep doing that until you find a clinic. You can also check job boards for local vet tech/vet assistant programs to see if there are vet assistant positions open. It's not ideal because you'll be driving an hour or more one direction, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
That's more or less what I did. It's tougher to say no to your face. Especially if:
1) You look prepared (I brought scrubs in my car so I could change if they asked if I had time that day)
2) You took the time to actually travel there, showing you are serious.
3) You know exactly what you are asking for, not just standing there looking confused and hoping someone in the office speaks mumble.

That's more or less what I did. It's tougher to say no to your face. Especially if:
1) You look prepared (I brought scrubs in my car so I could change if they asked if I had time that day)
2) You took the time to actually travel there, showing you are serious.
3) You know exactly what you are asking for, not just standing there looking confused and hoping someone in the office speaks mumble.

It's surprisingly effective! I didn't think of having the scrubs on me though; that's a good suggestion. I also kept resumes on me (in my car and both my parents' cars) so that if I happened to be out doing errands and I saw a clinic, I would drop my resume off if I was dressed nice.

Just going to chime in here to have multiple people proof your resume and cover letter (seems like a given, I know). A poorly written resume (grammatical/spelling errors, looks thrown together last minute, etc) is instantly trashed where I work. One resume had a giant (like 3" x 5") picture of the girl's face on it. Another gal showed up for her interview in a skin tight t-shirt and jeans. Seriously, impressions matter on both the resume and in person!