Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12thandSouth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to apply this winter/spring to postbacc premed programs for people with little or no science background (Bryn Mawr, Penn Prehealth, etc.). I've got an excellent academic background, but no clinical experience yet, so obviously I need to do some volunteering in order to demonstrate first to myself, and then to admissions committees, that my interest is mature and informed, etc.

Problem is, I've applied, in the last 2 to 3 weeks, to volunteer at three hospitals close by, and have yet to hear from any. So I'm wondering, how long does it usually take for hospitals to sift through the paperwork, find your app, and get back to you? I'm anxious to begin, so I may start following up with an email or phone call, but don't want to irritate volunteer coordinators unneccessarily.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi 12thandSouth,
I doubt you'll appear irratating to volunteer coordinators; on the contrary, I think they'll see you as proactive and energetic. Many hospitals would love to have more volunteers. My advice is to stop by the office and introduce yourself (even if you have been by before) and let them know you're still interested in volunteering. It's also an opportunity to find out if you can give them any more info, but, more importantly, it puts a face and a handshake with your application and personal info. I also felt the same way you did as I began volunteering (lots of paperwork and tedious "informational meetings"). Another idea is to find out the director/supersvisor of volunteers for a particular department and let them know you're interested in volunteering. Often they can grease some administrative wheels from the inside. It sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!

sometimes they send out letters to the references you listed. and well, we know how snail mail works. but i'd definitely go to their office or call, just to introduce yourself, see if there is anything you could do to speed up the process. usually there is. good luck and have fun when you start!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks very much for your suggestions. I think I'll probably just walk over to a couple of the hospitals tomorrow and introduce myself at the volunteer office, and ask about the status of my application.

UPenn has a premed program with HUP. Its the best one in philly although requires a heavy time-commitment. If you don't stick to it then you will be kicked out of the program. Also I would suggest cooper's volunteer in the ER. You would see alot.

Here's what you gotta keep in mind. These big hospitals (well, any hospital, really) get applications from volunteers on a regular basis. Instead of giving the same orientation every day, they contact all the prospective volunteers at once whenever they feel like it. This could happen anywhere from every 2 weeks to every 3 months! That's a problem for you. Put in a phone call, and ask when volunteers are contacted regarding any sort of introduction or orientation.

Remember, clinical experience doesn't have to be at a hospital, so if the hospital is moving too slowly relative to when your application is due, consider some other form of volunteer work.

What sort of other volunteer work would be considered clinical experience?

i don't know if this is considered clinical or not, but i volunteer with a program called boston healthcare for the homeless (and i know they have analogous programs in other cities, but not sure about philly). once a week i go to a night center with a nurse and we "see" anyone who wants to see us. basically i just take vital signs, sometimes help if the person is having trouble with his/her feet, and help people fill out the paperwork to sign up for medicaid. i don't see stuff that would come through the er, but i think it definitely shows one side of healthcare.

in a similar vein, there are also community clinics, where you might get to have more patient interaction.