VSAS Anesthesiology thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll try to answer everyone's questions. I'm a U.S. MD, and I went to a good private school, or at least an expensive one. I'm a nontrad student who went back to college for a year of the prereq classes. They went well, but throughout the first two years of med school I barely passed everything. The material all made sense, but I couldn't memorize it fast enough. I think all my life I've been bad at straight memorization, but I was always easily able to compensate for it until med school started. I failed Step I by a point and got a 201 on the retake. That probably would have been all right except that when I took surgery I passed each part of the rotation, including the shelf exam, but the grade was averaged out in such a way that I failed the rotation. I thought that was ridiculous, and the surgeon I worked with the most was absolutely livid that my school would do this, especially because he knew I really was working hard and helping the team out a lot, but what could I do? I retook the surgery rotation at a different site, didn't do anything different and this time I passed with no problems. Between taking extra time for Step I and getting failed in surgery, I was left with no time in third year for electives, away rotations or a sub-i before interview season. I knew that would never work, so I delayed graduating by a year. I got a 228 on Step 2. A big improvement, but still not all that great.

Oddly enough, I did great on my anesthesiology rotations. I liked the work, and the residents loved that I set up their rooms for them each morning and generally tried to be as helpful as I could throughout the day. I had some excellent away rotations and got plenty of LORs. Of course, none of that mattered when interview season came around. With all those red flags on my application I ended up with three interviews, two of which were from places I'd worked at and may have been courtesy interviews. I didn't match and didn't even get a phone call in SOAP. I can't say I was surprised to go unmatched. Programs had their choice of plenty of Caribbean students with better Step scores than me to choose from.

It is true that I could try to do a prelim year, FM or IM, but I'm not confident in my odds of success. I applied to quite a few medicine and surgery prelim years and never got an interview from them. I don't much like IM and I seriously doubt I'd be any good at it. I had a good FM rotation and might be able to match into that, but I just can't get myself excited about the possibility of doing well patient exams and treating the flu for the next twenty years. FM residency followed by anesthesiology residency, for a total of 6-7 years? No thanks. Medical school has been nothing but failure, disappointment and heartache. I didn't get to celebrate Match Day with my class, I didn't get to celebrate Match Day when I should have matched, I've got a useless diploma and in a few weeks I won't be celebrating graduation. I've had enough. I can be happier making slightly less money doing something else.

I disagree completely with your decision to not try for Family Medicine Spot. That's a fairly easy residency to complete and you would be a real Physician. I like your plan to renovate houses but why not do both? FP and Contractor work would make for a nice, long career.

After you FM/FP Residency there is Public Health, Teaching at the college or Med School level all while keeping the renovation projects humming.

The time has come to bury your pride and take what you can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear back from Oklahoma-OKC or South Carolina yet?

so I got an acceptance today for a 4-week rotation starting Mid-November. This is obviously too late to get an LOR, and it's a reach program for me, is it even worth it to spend all the money to go there for a month and maybe get a pity interview? What do i do if i have to schedule interviews during that rotation, am I allowed to leave?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else having luck getting rotations set up? Feeling like it's getting late in the game and I'm worried about not having anything. I'm a DO with 238 on step 1. Applied to Ohio State, U of Wisconsin, U of Cinci, U Conn, U of Arizona, UTHSC Houston, Temple. Am I aiming too high? These definitely feel like my reach programs, but was really hoping to get at least 1 offer.

Anyone else having luck getting rotations set up? Feeling like it's getting late in the game and I'm worried about not having anything. I'm a DO with 238 on step 1. Applied to Ohio State, U of Wisconsin, U of Cinci, U Conn, U of Arizona, UTHSC Houston, Temple. Am I aiming too high? These definitely feel like my reach programs, but was really hoping to get at least 1 offer.
I agree. I'm a DO and have a lower step 1 score than you by a pretty good margin so I applied to double the programs you did. I only have 1/3 spots filled. I don't know if we should be holding out hope until later in the summer or what but I feel your pain.

Btw I don't think those are crazy reach programs for you.

I agree. I'm a DO and have a lower step 1 score than you by a pretty good margin so I applied to double the programs you did. I only have 1/3 spots filled. I don't know if we should be holding out hope until later in the summer or what but I feel your pain.

Btw I don't think those are crazy reach programs for you.

I'm just going with these programs fill with their own students first, then TOP applicants who want an away. I'm another DO with below average step 1, so I'm not surprised programs aren't biting right away.

I dont think any of those besides Arizona and Houston are typical reach programs, especially with a decent step 1 score.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. A little bit of a pickle here. Thankfully just was accepted to a second program. However, I was accepted for October which is the same month as my first acceptance. I forgot to go back and withdraw my applications for the month of October. I emailed this second program (would rather attend this program over my first one) and asked if there is any possible way I could rotate with them in September. If they say no, how bad would it be to ask my first program if I could rotate in September instead of October... or worse yet, if they say no, how bad will it look if I cancel the rotation? Again, REALLY would like to rotate at both, but ultimately like this second program over the first.

Wondering about interviews too. I got a rotation at my #1 spot in November and hoping to interview there and go to residency there, but I also don't want to leave too often for interviews at other locations. It's a reach program, but a program that I think is definitely within reach. Side question: how important are the pre-dinner interviews? I may not be able to attend some simply due to tight scheduling. Would if affect getting accepted?

Advice for you guys (or future candidates): I got 5-6 offers and I am by no means anywhere near the 260+ Step 1, 4 research papers, etc. candidate. You gotta apply BROAD. I literally dropped $300 on VSAS knowing it was gonna be competitive. Lots of places fill in their spots with their own students first, and the bummer about VSAS is that I bet a lot of places we applied to are already taken by home candidates, and really shouldn't even be available on VSAS. I wish VSAS worked a little better, but right now its the program we have to go through. If you're struggling for spots I would honestly contact some programs. Nothing really left to lose.

Wondering about interviews too. I got a rotation at my #1 spot in November and hoping to interview there and go to residency there, but I also don't want to leave too often for interviews at other locations. It's a reach program, but a program that I think is definitely within reach. Side question: how important are the pre-dinner interviews? I may not be able to attend some simply due to tight scheduling. Would if affect getting accepted?

Advice for you guys (or future candidates): I got 5-6 offers and I am by no means anywhere near the 260+ Step 1, 4 research papers, etc. candidate. You gotta apply BROAD. I literally dropped $300 on VSAS knowing it was gonna be competitive. Lots of places fill in their spots with their own students first, and the bummer about VSAS is that I bet a lot of places we applied to are already taken by home candidates, and really shouldn't even be available on VSAS. I wish VSAS worked a little better, but right now its the program we have to go through. If you're struggling for spots I would honestly contact some programs. Nothing really left to lose.

Easy workaround would be to schedule the bulk of your interviews in December/January. Schedule the November ones over the weekend if they do them on Saturdays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is calling the vsas coordinator of a program to inquire about availability poor form?
I emailed a few. As long as you're courteous I don't see how its a bad thing. I was just accepted to one of the programs I emailed (It was a half "I'd love to rotate at your program" half actually inquiring about available spots. But didn't get a return email so I don't know if my email even had anything to do with it).

Friend of mine got an offer to rotate at UT Houston today.

Spoke a little too soon. Heard back with offers from Houston and Wisconsin this week (and in the negative from OSU).

Is calling the vsas coordinator of a program to inquire about availability poor form?

I followed up with an email politely asking about an anticipated timeline and it seemed to be received well. I don't know if I'd call them, but email seems acceptable. I got a response from probably half of the programs just saying that they were planning on getting offers out by x date.

any idea of when they applied. Got denied from my top choice today and now am scrambling for others. Interested in Houston
I submitted on 4/17 and heard back 5/26 with my 2nd choice.

any idea of when they applied. Got denied from my top choice today and now am scrambling for others. Interested in Houston

04/02. If interested in Houston, apply Baylor at least. They don't even look at stuff until 6 weeks out from the elective. They told me 4-6 weeks prior to the elective start date, they'll start looking at applications.

Interested in hearing from others on this as well. I talked to the PD of my state's only program who HIGHLY values rotations at their program. Unfortunately this rotation would be in November. I suppose I can try to schedule a ton of interviews in December (this is a vacation month for me) and January??? I have rotations from August to possibly November now. Anyone have any advice on how feasible it would be to schedule most of my interviews in December and January? And also how it would be looked at if I slipped away for an interview or two in November?

Simply ask the PD how they feel about leaving for interviews. I think most programs can be understanding, but with that being said, don't be gone for a week at a time and some change. Maybe only allow yourself 2-3 days. Otherwise schedule your interviews during the other times.

My adviser suggested working maybe 6-2pm, then immediately afterwards drive/fly to the city of your interview, partake in the interview the next day and immediately get back to work the next day.

It's exhausting, but at the same time you can still fit in interviews. If this is a place you 100% see yourself going to then go to the rotation. If it's a program your on the fence about, I would cancel it. You could still take a few days off the prior rotation as well.

Good luck on your rotations.

Last edited:
Long time lurker, 3 aways accepted, but had to turn one down that came in later when I already had my schedule in place. Will be going to UVA and LSU-NO. Pretty average step score with decent research experience

Luckily secured two aways but am missing one for the block of 7/30-8/24. Waiting on a few more program. Wondering if anyone of some programs in which applying at this time can still get you a spot.

Has anybody heard back from UTMB? I'm not even sure they have all my documents or not (their VSAS page mentions the requirement of a VSAS verification form - but there's no place for this to be uploaded and their page says explicitly not to email nor fax them about anything). I know some schools don't check VSAS documents until 2 months before rotation dates, but I wasn't sure with them since they haven't said anything yet.
They were full awhile ago. At least that is what they told me.

Is there any reason to do an away in a different part of the country at an academic center if they don't have a residency program.?.. I'm from Minnesota, go to school in Iowa and would love to move south for residency, but don't have any good ties down there. Is it a waste to rotate at University of Texas Austin since they don't have a residency program? Or would having an academic letter plus it being from that part of the US be worth it?

Is there any reason to do an away in a different part of the country at an academic center if they don't have a residency program.?.. I'm from Minnesota, go to school in Iowa and would love to move south for residency, but don't have any good ties down there. Is it a waste to rotate at University of Texas Austin since they don't have a residency program? Or would having an academic letter plus it being from that part of the US be worth it?

From an application standpoint, if they don’t have a program then it definitely won’t be of much help. Their academic medical center is expanding rapidly, though, and I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point in the next 5 years they start a program. But you’d know if it was next year by now, it’s not a short process to start a program.

That all being said, you’d spend a month in Austin so if you are down with that then ok