W post-amcas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angietron3000

*black magic soul power*
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad is is to have a W on your transcript AFTER amcas? I submitted in June, have had a few interviews, a few more on the way and now I'm enrolled in a biochem class (post-bacc) that I may have to withdraw from for a variety of reasons. The problem is that a bunch of the schools I applied to (namely california schools) require biochem before matriculation..

I've never had a W on my transcript, good grades and MCAT but I was planning on updating schools on my fall classes. If I do, do I have to tell them I withdrew? would they give me the boot if it just showed up on my transcript at matriculation? I'm planning on taking it from another school so that it fits my schedule better (maybe online)

I think I have pretty good reasons for withdrawing..
1) Class interferes with my job a LOT. I see patients every morning and now I have to leave early and reschedule them to fit my schedule, which just creates more work for other people and is pissing off boss & coworkers.

2) Class interferes with interview scheduling, basically I have to fly across the country on sundays for monday interviews because I'm afraid of falling even more behind in class.

3) I have a bad feeling I failed the first test, and not in a neurotic pre-med I got a B+ sort of way, I really think I failed it, and the prof is really truely evil so I dread going to class - probably won't tell adcoms this part ;)

I think a W would be better than an F but do you think it'd hurt my chances at picky CA schools?

Members don't see this ad.

angietron3000 said:
How bad is is to have a W on your transcript AFTER amcas? I submitted in June, have had a few interviews, a few more on the way and now I'm enrolled in a biochem class (post-bacc) that I may have to withdraw from for a variety of reasons. The problem is that a bunch of the schools I applied to (namely california schools) require biochem before matriculation..

I've never had a W on my transcript, good grades and MCAT but I was planning on updating schools on my fall classes. If I do, do I have to tell them I withdrew? would they give me the boot if it just showed up on my transcript at matriculation? I'm planning on taking it from another school so that it fits my schedule better (maybe online)

I think I have pretty good reasons for withdrawing..
1) Class interferes with my job a LOT. I see patients every morning and now I have to leave early and reschedule them to fit my schedule, which just creates more work for other people and is pissing off boss & coworkers.

2) Class interferes with interview scheduling, basically I have to fly across the country on sundays for monday interviews because I'm afraid of falling even more behind in class.

3) I have a bad feeling I failed the first test, and not in a neurotic pre-med I got a B+ sort of way, I really think I failed it, and the prof is really truely evil so I dread going to class - probably won't tell adcoms this part ;)

I think a W would be better than an F but do you think it'd hurt my chances at picky CA schools?

Hey I have the same exact problem. Biochem as a post-bacc, and I really want to drop it. Anyway, will schools ask for an updated transcript, or will i be able to "hide" the W until I am actually accepted...

Was it a class you were supposed to complete as a pre-req? If not, don't worry about the W. As long as everything else is in the A to B range, you should be fine.

Another option is to see if you can have it switched over to a pass/fail grading scheme.

Members don't see this ad :)
Code Brown said:
Was it a class you were supposed to complete as a pre-req? If not, don't worry about the W. As long as everything else is in the A to B range, you should be fine.

Another option is to see if you can have it switched over to a pass/fail grading scheme.
Some of the CA schools list it as a pre-req but the majority don't. I know I've missed the P/F deadline.

allisonbk said:
Hey I have the same exact problem. Biochem as a post-bacc, and I really want to drop it. Anyway, will schools ask for an updated transcript, or will i be able to "hide" the W until I am actually accepted...

My impression on this was that you were supposed to take most of the prereqs before AMCAS, and to make sure you take the rest before you matriculate. Therefore, I thought that schools will want to see your final transcript to make sure you actually took those classes. Does that mean it doesn't really matter what grades you get in them, as long as it's not horrible.