Wait another year to improve app, or reapply now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivysf9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first time posting in SD! Until now I have only stalked hundreds of forums. :)

I would really appreciate any insight about my application, i.e. what you think may be the weakest part of my application and what it is that may have held me back from getting accepted my first time around.

Stats and relevant info:
1) MCAT - 33 (10P, 11V, 12B)
2) GPA and sGPA both around 3.65 (undergrad at a very competitive, top 20 college)
3) 1000+ hours running a homeless free clinic
4) Research w/o publications
5) International work related to HIV outreach and prevention
6) Physician shadowing (30+ hours)
7) Other activities, jobs, and awards that aren't really important enough to mention

In my gap year (since applying), I have been serving with AmeriCorps as a health outreach worker for the homeless. I have also been taking evening Spanish classes with the goal of becoming fluent. In my next gap year, I plan to continue this work and volunteer with an organization as an HIV test counselor. As a physician, I would like to do HIV primary care or something along those lines.

I applied to a wide range of schools. Among the 30-ish schools I've applied to, I received interviews at: Duke, SUNY Downstate, NYMC, UCSF/JMP, GW. Withdrew pre-interview from SUNY and NYMC (not a lot of interest in being in NY, and to be frank was a little turned off by their rankings). Post interview: rejected from Duke and waitlisted at UCSF/JMP and GW. At the moment, not expecting any waitlist movement in my favor.

I do think my personal statement was at least decent if not moving, but I did locate a small grammar error after submission. I also submitted my primary in July. If I reapply, I would re-work my PS and make sure to apply the first day of the cycle. I would also work on my interview skills a little or even a lot...

My questions:
1) Is my MCAT score holding me back? I understand my GPA may be, but my MCAT may be an easier fix. If I decide to retake the MCAT, I will have to hold back from re-applying for another year. I know I could score better, but probably not by a significant amount.
2) Should I broaden my list of schools even more? I made the mistake of applying to a few too many schools that I really had little interest in attending, thus the withdrawals. Am I being too picky? Or, can I apply to more top 50 schools this time around?
3) I feel foolish expecting that my 1st gap year experience (with AmeriCorps) will be enough of a new asset to bump me up in the application pool. It would seem that reapplying in June wouldn't change too much about my application. My overall theme remains the same and I have only furthered my service work which is what is most important to me. Any thoughts?

I would appreciate any and all comments and/or advice. Thank you all so much! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing from interview may not have worked out well for you. NEVER turn down an interview UNLESS you have an acceptance. I don't know if the schools can see that but anyone still considering you might be turned off.

Your app seems fine...

Withdrawing from interview may not have worked out well for you. NEVER turn down an interview UNLESS you have an acceptance. I don't know if the schools can see that but anyone still considering you might be turned off.

Your app seems fine...

Thanks for your response. I thought that withdrawing pre-interview would've been more ideal than going, maybe getting in, and then turning down an acceptance and/or going somewhere I really wouldn't be happy to go. Plus it saved me some money. I really hope it doesn't affect me in the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope it doesn't affect me in the next cycle.
Me too but I think the schools can see it. So before you had an acceptance, you withdrew from interviews and now have nothing. No doubt you see it from their perspective but now, unfortunately, you'll be a reapp ... at some of the same schools who rejected you?

You received interviews at 7 schools (if I did the math right :D )... and rejected by them all.

It's not your scores, something is happening in the i-views. Address that and I suspect you'll see a fancy invite to 2021 in your email/phone records.

I suspect you interview poorly. You don't seem to have any major red flags. I think you need to see your stats for what they are, perfectly good enough to get you into a mid to low tier school, but probably not good enough for the top tier schools (unless you can blow them away in an interview). Maybe I am wrong but you seem to think you are in the position to pick before you have acceptances in hand. You spent your year well, so make sure you can speak/write about what it taught you, and reapply. Choose your schools well, and be realistic. Work on your interview skills! That is most likely where you flopped. GL you have everything it takes to get there, just be real with yourself.

It's the interview.

If you arent a URM, military vet etc the fact you are getting IIs at Duke and UCSF with a 3.65/33 indicates you are the type of person who truly does have an application that really stands out in non academic ways. For a reapplicant, this is rather rare. I dont think this is an LOR issue either even though schools like Duke dont look at LORs pre II.

I really do think it comes down to this.

1) Evaluate your school list also(feel free to post it). If your IIs are coming from top schools and the schools in your state entirely my guess is your OOS school list wasnt great.
2) Put all the time you can into improving your interviewing skills and technique. This is what's haunting you.
3) Goes without saying but dont decline IIs. The fact you declined IIs from two schools where your odds are best assuming you are a NY resident is going to hurt your chances in a future app cycle but what's done is done.

This isnt a numbers issue, the fact you got IIs at UCSF and Duke should tell you that. Retaking an unexpired 33 is going to do more harm than good. A PB with a 3.65 is a waste of time. Address the weak parts of your app. Target OOS schools in line with your stats you arent a reapp at. Practice all you can on interviewing technique and skills. Easier said than done but do this and you certainly can be successful.

Last edited: