waitlist dillema

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn301

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

i recently came across this forum per a recommendation -- thanks. so i'm in a bit of a bind. i've currently dropped all but one acceptance (an md/phd program) and have one waitlist at a school that accepted me md-only.

however, i would rather go at the school that i'm waitlisted at (in a heartbeat), but they don't start moving their waitlist till the summer and i have to start the md/phd program during the summer months.

see the dilemma. i've called both programs, but nobody has given me answers except 'go with your heart'. i was hoping a fellow sdn-er could share some advice.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a ranked waitlist? Can you get some idea of where you are on it?

I am sort of in the same boat. I am guessing I will just have to decide and try to get off the wait lists before I need to start a summer rotation. If I knew what school you are on the waiting list for I could give some better insight because different schools have more movement and do things differently.

sdn301 said:
hello all,

i recently came across this forum per a recommendation -- thanks. so i'm in a bit of a bind. i've currently dropped all but one acceptance (an md/phd program) and have one waitlist at a school that accepted me md-only.

however, i would rather go at the school that i'm waitlisted at (in a heartbeat), but they don't start moving their waitlist till the summer and i have to start the md/phd program during the summer months.

see the dilemma. i've called both programs, but nobody has given me answers except 'go with your heart'. i was hoping a fellow sdn-er could share some advice.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
liverotcod said:
Is it a ranked waitlist? Can you get some idea of where you are on it?
hey man,

love the new avatar. how has the ol' decision-making process been treating you?

superdevil said:
hey man,

love the new avatar. how has the ol' decision-making process been treating you?
I've got it narrowed down to 2--UMinn-TC and UWisc--I guess, although I'm still toying with Pitt, depending on the financing. I'm taking my family to visit Minneapolis and Madison first week in May, and then it's decision time.

You?

my wait-list is at hopkins and when i called they gave me the ol' "you're definetely not on the bottom half, nor the definite top" but they also said that things were moving in regards to ranks on the waitlist until the end of april and then they would start admitting in the summer.

i would hate to give up this opportunity if i didn't have to as there is a prof at hopkins that i'd love to work with as well as their killer epi work that i'm very interested in.

thanks for all the help so far though.

liverotcod said:
I've got it narrowed down to 2--UMinn-TC and UWisc--I guess, although I'm still toying with Pitt, depending on the financing. I'm taking my family to visit Minneapolis and Madison first week in May, and then it's decision time.

You?
well, lately i've had some second thoughts about ohio state, so i've actually been leaning towards case western. i should be getting financial aid info from case and dartmouth soon, and if one of those offers is strong, i'll probably take it. wake forest has already dialed in their uninspiring financial aid package (and adds the undue stress of requiring a decision by may 1st--as classes start in july), but my fiance loved north carolina when we revisited (as opposed to the frigid duo of cleveland and new hampshire). i guess its still a four-horse race, with case in the lead and wake bringing up the rear.

what a pain in the ass. and then there are the waitlists....i shudder to think...

there is a prof at hopkins that i'd love to work with

Did you meet with this professor at your interview? Could you contact him/her and tell them how much you want to go to Hopkins and would like the possible opportunity to work with him/her? If this professor likes you and wants you in their lab, that could really help your waitlist ranking. Not sure it would work, but might be worth trying.

superdevil said:
i guess its still a four-horse race, with case in the lead and wake bringing up the rear.

Tell your fiance how beautiful New Hampshire will be in the Fall. Yes, I have alterior motives.

hmmm, eyeing my spot at wake, are we? ;)

well, i sure as hell can't sell her on the weather in NH, i'll tell you that. she loves to be tan and hates the cold/snow. first, when we revisited wake, in the first week of april it was sunny and about 77F every day we were there. then when we went up to dartmouth later that week...well, it wasn't. when we toured the school, they had those special lights for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder in the med student lounge. yep, the days are that short there. sunlight, what's that?!

sdn301 said:
hello all,

thanks in advance.

immediately send a letter of intent (LOI) to hopkins indicating that your md/phd will start prior to their waitlist assignment completion, hence the dilemma. Schools aren't completely insensitive. they'll either facilitate your acceptance or your rejection.

superdevil said:
hmmm, eyeing my spot at wake, are we? ;)

well, i sure as hell can't sell her on the weather in NH, i'll tell you that. she loves to be tan and hates the cold/snow. first, when we revisited wake, in the first week of april it was sunny and about 77F every day we were there. then when we went up to dartmouth later that week...well, it wasn't. when we toured the school, they had those special lights for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder in the med student lounge. yep, the days are that short there. sunlight, what's that?!

It's a really awesome school. Honestly you'd be a cool classmate to have, but I have to be thinking about priorities here so I didn't just say any of that.

derf said:
immediately send a letter of intent (LOI) to hopkins indicating that your md/phd will start prior to their waitlist assignment completion, hence the dilemma. Schools aren't completely insensitive. they'll either facilitate your acceptance or your rejection.

I think that's really good advice

sdn301 said:
hello all,

thanks in advance.

Check to make sure that if you start your rotation at the MD/PhD program, the MD program won't exclude you from admission.

the second i start md/phd i am excluded from md-only at hopkins and they do not consider that a factor in how fast or slow they move the wait-list. i asked them about it. guess i'll just have to see how things play out.