Waitlist Process Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfredo24pr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have been waitlisted at a US school, but have been also accepted at UAG, which counts as a Caribbean Medical School (right?).

I called the admission office on the school that I was waitlisted at and was told that if an applicant has already been accepted at another school, then that applicant is removed from the waitlist. Will being accepted at UAG kill my chances of being accepted from the waitlist at the US school???

Members don't see this ad.

Will being accepted at UAG kill my chances of being accepted from the waitlist at the US school???
no. the US school wouldn't even know that you've been accepted to UAG...unless you told them yourself

Reactions: 2 users
a US medical school definitely does not know about your off-shore acceptance. Don't even hint to it! If this is your only waitlist, send those intent letters as much as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't mention it. What a relief, and yes I will be sending letters of interest. I'm still waiting on one more school that I interviewed at. Should get an answer soon.

I know there is lots of info on LOI, but can someone add a few quick tips?

I didn't mention it. What a relief, and yes I will be sending letters of interest. I'm still waiting on one more school that I interviewed at. Should get an answer soon.

I know there is lots of info on LOI, but can someone add a few quick tips?

It seems like in an LOI you should briefly emphasize your accomplishments (especially if you have any new ones, or any new activities that address gaps in your application), and you should clearly state how the school that waitlisted you is the school you would love to attend. Unless the waitlist is ranked (as in, you're assigned a position on it), most schools prefer to pull off the WL people who would attend that school over anyplace else.

This is what the admissions at schools that waitlisted me stated I should include in my letter of interest - the most important thing is why I want to attend that school, and how passionate I am about programs/culture/opportunities at that school. None of these schools rank their waitlists. If it's ranked, and you're #198/200, you're SOL.

I didn't realize schools would remove you from the wait list if you receive an acceptance elsewhere? That seems unfair?

Also it makes me wonder if when schools ask you in an interview if you have been accepted anywhere yet and you answer honestly (yes) if that will prevent them from accepting you?

Sorry to hijack the thread with these questions but it seemed more applicable than starting a new topic. Good luck OP with your LOI and I hope you get in your top choice!

I didn't realize schools would remove you from the wait list if you receive an acceptance elsewhere? That seems unfair?
they don't
Also it makes me wonder if when schools ask you in an interview if you have been accepted anywhere yet and you answer honestly (yes) if that will prevent them from accepting you?
this is not a common thing to be asked. and if they do ask, yes, you should just answer honestly, although im not sure how it might affect their decision--perhaps one of the adcoms around here can chime in regarding that

The list is ranked but based on both academic and non academic factors, so they take the LOI in consideration.

I think what the admissions officer meant was that if you already reserved a seat somewhere else, even if it's not your 1st choice, then they cannot accept you off the waitlist. Basically saying that the waitlist was for those that had not been accepted at any US medical school.

I have never heard of a US MD school removing waitlist candidates for holding an acceptance elsewhere!
Caribbean schools would not be considered medical schools for this purpose (if it is true!)

Not even after the May 15 deadline?

I mean, let's say that you are waitlisted at Harvard but accepted at Duke, so you confirm your seat and are all set for Duke. Then sometime in June, someone from Harvard cancels and you are next on the Harvard waitlist, but you have already confirmed your seat at Duke.

Will Harvard contact you even if they know you have already confirmed your seat in Duke?

Going to UAG will kill your chances of being employable as a doctor in the US, and leave you deeply in debt.

So, I have been waitlisted at a US school, but have been also accepted at UAG, which counts as a Caribbean Medical School (right?).

I called the admission office on the school that I was waitlisted at and was told that if an applicant has already been accepted at another school, then that applicant is removed from the waitlist. Will being accepted at UAG kill my chances of being accepted from the waitlist at the US school???

I agree with the debt part, but I thought they solved that US doctor problem. Could you check the link below and please let me know if I can still practice in US?

http://www.uag.edu/medicine/about/recognition.php

If the quality of the photos on their website have any sort of correlation to the quality of their medical education, you might be in for a ride.

On the other hand, the drug cartels might offer good money to have a physician on retainer...

Most of the advice given on here is US MD/DO or bust. I would suggest you stick to that.

I'm just sitting here waiting for my laundry to finish so perhaps I can save our adcoms a little time by explaining a few things.
The deadline is April 30 this year.
I mean, let's say that you are waitlisted at Harvard but accepted at Duke, so you confirm your seat and are all set for Duke. Then sometime in June, someone from Harvard cancels and you are next on the Harvard waitlist, but you have already confirmed your seat at Duke.

Will Harvard contact you even if they know you have already confirmed your seat in Duke?
Yes, they will contact you. What you've described is the way the waitlist works. You can be contacted by any school where you have been waitlisted until you have begun orientation at another school.
I agree with the debt part, but I thought they solved that US doctor problem. Could you check the link below and please let me know if I can still practice in US?

http://www.uag.edu/medicine/about/recognition.php
To start, here is a chart showing how US citizens who attend medical school abroad fare in the Match. The source is here. Note how barely 50% of the graduates of Mexican schools who enter the match find a position. That is similar to the rates of the Caribbean schools annotated on the chart.

Can
they practice in the US? Yes. I am not familiar with UAG or other Mexican schools, but the numbers seem to indicate that their graduates face as difficult a road to doing so as graduates of most Caribbean schools.
HxL3SdC.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

You may accept a position from a school where you are on the waitlist until the first day of orientation (or pre-matriculation program) where you have been accepted. Your position is not "confirmed" until school starts.

Thanks for everyone's info. Good to know that April 30 is the deadline. The earlier, the faster I will know. Of course, assuming I make the higher ranks in the list and a fair amount of people cancel. Wish me luck.