#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@insaneinthemembrane27
I see that you have also been following the Georgetown thread..do you know if they are open to sharing where people are on their wait list? I am really hoping to get off of it!!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like almost every day someone asks me if I've either gotten off a waitlist or if I've figured out where I'm going yet.

For me, this honestly has been the hardest part of the waitlist process. I'm decent enough at distracting myself while waiting for this process to work itself out... and then inquisitive Aunt #3 comes along and ruins my day: "Still Waiting? Still? But what will you do? Where will you live? Please pass the salt."

At which point I drown myself in my soup bowl.

Waitlisted at Drexel, Wayne State, and two programs at University of Miami.

Reactions: 14 users
#Waitlistedlivesmatter #staywokeoryoumightmissthecall

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like almost every day someone asks me if I've either gotten off a waitlist or if I've figured out where I'm going yet.
Same here :D I've kinda gotten fed up with it so now when people ask I just tell them I have a job lined up at McDonalds for after graduation. It seems like such a struggle to explain that I'm on a waitlist, I don't know if I'll get off... I probably won't know until the summer. I have no clue what I will do if I don't get off ... and the idea of retaking the MCAT and reapplying gives me heartburn.

Reactions: 9 users
@insaneinthemembrane27
I see that you have also been following the Georgetown thread..do you know if they are open to sharing where people are on their wait list? I am really hoping to get off of it!!
Do you know how many are on that waitlist? I saw somewhere they pull 1/3 of their class off? Does anyone know if this is true?

Reactions: 2 users
None of us knows exactly what will happen, but I've updated my linkedin now. I've started making contacts and inquiring about potential research/other positions I can attain with my new degree, etc. Seeing what's out there. So, yes, I might end up in medschool.... hopefully so, but I do have tentative plans and am preparing for it not happening. I think that we all should have at least something in the back of our heads, if not active preparation to be a productive member of society if our immediate goal does not work out.

Hopefully none of us feels stuck with nothing to do if this year doesn't pan out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Start thinking like professionals(not just students). Because that's the type of mindset we all need.

None of us knows exactly what will happen, but I've updated my linkedin now. I've started making contacts and inquiring about potential research/other positions I can attain with my new degree, etc. Seeing what's out there. So, yes, I might end up in medschool.... hopefully so, but I do have tentative plans and am preparing for it not happening. I think that we all should have at least something in the back of our heads, if not active preparation to be a productive member of society if our immediate goal does not work out.

Hopefully none of us feels stuck with nothing to do if this year doesn't pan out.
I would tend to agree with you but I think there are a lot of premeds out there (myself included) that don't want to work a different position with this "newly acquired degree." I can only speak for myself, but with a BS in like Microbiology or Biology (and without something like an MPH or MBA) the job options for recent graduates are pretty dreadful - at least in my opinion. Research is fine but it isn't the same as learning to practice medicine. I think a lot of people who want to go to medical school see undergrad as a stepping stone, not something to stay on, even when **** hits the fan.
Its better to be happy and pursue something you're genuinely passionate about rather than accept your failure, settle in to a desk job so you can be a "productive member of society." Just my two cents. Plan A is always the Plan. Plans B, C, and D are just other avenues to get you to Plan A.

I would tend to agree with you but I think there are a lot of premeds out there (myself included) that don't want to work a different position with this "newly acquired degree." I can only speak for myself, but with a BS in like Microbiology or Biology (and without something like an MPH or MBA) the job options for recent graduates are pretty dreadful - at least in my opinion. Research is fine but it isn't the same as learning to practice medicine. I think a lot of people who want to go to medical school see undergrad as a stepping stone, not something to stay on, even when **** hits the fan.
Its better to be happy and pursue something you're genuinely passionate about rather than accept your failure, settle in to a desk job so you can be a "productive member of society." Just my two cents. Plan A is always the Plan. Plans B, C, and D are just other avenues to get you to Plan A.

I'm not saying to give up your dream. I'm saying, though, that twiddling your thumbs in the mean time and not giving serious thought to mean time alternatives, if you don't immediately get in, is a waste of your time and talent.

@insaneinthemembrane27
Hey there @doglover2020! So, I have called Georgetown many times throughout the wait. I was told that there has been waitlist movement, but the majority of the movement happens post April 30th (as we all know). However, they really encourage us to be in communication with them. I don't think that they have a straight waitlist (i.e. by ranking). A lot of it has to do with your expression of interest. If Georgetown is your #1, they should know that by May 1st, so that they can prioritize you.

I have no idea how many people are actually on the list; but, I know that a good chunk of their incoming class DOES come off the waitlist (30-40%).

I hope that helps!

Reactions: 5 users
For me, this honestly has been the hardest part of the waitlist process. I'm decent enough at distracting myself while waiting for this process to work itself out... and then inquisitive Aunt #3 comes along and ruins my day: "Still Waiting? Still? But what will you do? Where will you live? Please pass the salt."

At which point I drown myself in my soup bowl.

Waitlisted at Drexel, Wayne State, and two programs at University of Miami.

I had a friend try to relate to me by explaining that he too is on a waitlist.... For an astronomy class at community college because he signed up too late.

Reactions: 38 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Mayo, and Duke (with only two full rides :mad:) but I'm on the waitlist at UCSF and Columbia! +pity+ This is honestly the most stressful time in my entire life. Really glad to have a place to vent.
let me know if there is anything I can do to help, saddest story of the entire thread

/s

Reactions: 7 users
let me know if there is anything I can do to help, saddest story of the entire thread

/s
I think that you should withdraw all of your acceptances so that more spots open up and my waitlists begin to move. It's the right thing to do.

wait listed at netter since october.. sent a LOI a few weeks ago and now must anxiously wait

wait listed at netter since october.. sent a LOI a few weeks ago and now must anxiously wait
May 2nd is coming up fast so hang in there. I feel like next week is going to be a great week for us on the waitlist train. So much waiting I just want to know what I will be doing come August!

Reactions: 8 users
@insaneinthemembrane27 my first choice was Albany, which rejected me pre interview two years in a row now (even after I retook my MCAT and killed it like they said I should...not that I'm still mad at them or anything). I honestly like both Upstate and NYMC very much, and they have a lot to offer which differs between schools. Grading is better with P/F at upstate, and I really liked the community feel of NYMC. Great rural med exposure upstate which is a draw for me, but also the chance to work inner-city at NYMC has its own allure.

I know that upstate's HPA list is ranked, and I'm fairly sure that they know I am really interested in attending. NYMC is another story...does anyone know a little more about their WL?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If it makes you feel any better, my friend's mom is a physician/professor at Albany and when I spoke to her a few years ago as a pre-med her biggest piece of advice for me was "DO NOT go to Albany it sucks blah blah" hahahaha

You're better off without Albany, from her perspective.

Only 1 WL for me
Same here :( WL at Georgetown, Rejected by 39 other schools, no other interviews. This cycle was not fun for me at all :(

I would tend to agree with you but I think there are a lot of premeds out there (myself included) that don't want to work a different position with this "newly acquired degree." I can only speak for myself, but with a BS in like Microbiology or Biology (and without something like an MPH or MBA) the job options for recent graduates are pretty dreadful - at least in my opinion. Research is fine but it isn't the same as learning to practice medicine.
The thing about research is that a lot of labs require 1-2 years commitment too, so reapplying the following cycle isn't really feasible (Unless you volunteer I guess)

Fellow waitlistee here! Grateful to not have been rejected but studying for finals has never been so difficult with NYMC constantly on my mind... :thinking:

Reactions: 3 users
I think that you should withdraw all of your acceptances so that more spots open up and my waitlists begin to move. It's the right thing to do.
I plan on it, if i get off the waitlist for my top pick. I'll lose my $2000 deposit though :/

Dear Admissions Committees of Morehouse, Drexel, Albany, GW, and USF,

LOVE ME

4ever urs,

Schemes

Reactions: 8 users

Thought of you guys when I saw this. Laugh or cringe, idc. I hope y'all hear good news soon.

Same here :( WL at Georgetown, Rejected by 39 other schools, no other interviews. This cycle was not fun for me at all :(

+2. 1 WL, 1 Interview, which was Georgetown..... Fingers crossed for both of us! I saw on an old thread that GU rejects many applicants post interview? Does ANYONE have stats on their wait list?

But you got accepted to the top schools, so y are you complaining. o_O

Which one do you really want to go to? What is the ranking?
I loosely ranked my schools; Maryland and Rochester are equally number one, Georgetown and Temple are equally my next best picks, and then Jeff. Honestly I would be ecstatic to be at any of them though.

+2. 1 WL, 1 Interview, which was Georgetown..... Fingers crossed for both of us! I saw on an old thread that GU rejects many applicants post interview? Does ANYONE have stats on their wait list?
I remember being told that GU will review a pool of 80 applicants post interview each time they have adcom meetings. Of those 80 applicants, they reject 20, waitlist 40, and accept 20.

Fellow GU waitlister here. lol

Thank god this thread exists.

Waitlisted at
Einstein (Reg WL) - not HPWL, so its going to be tough to get off
UVM - please accept me

Losing hope as each day goes by and the thought of reapplying always ruin my day

Reactions: 4 users
Thank god this thread exists.

Waitlisted at
Einstein (Reg WL) - not HPWL, so its going to be tough to get off
UVM - please accept me

Losing hope as each day goes by and the thought of reapplying always ruin my day
Do you ever get the thing where you're happy or enjoying yourself and then you immediately feel guilty for it because you haven't gotten into med school? Maybe that's just me

Holding on one waitlist for Wright State. I will say I agree with you entirely. This process has been exhausting. I think the toughest thing is not being able to make a plan - either for reapplying or for getting ready for med school. We're kinda just in a limbo - and who knows when you might hear. I knew a girl who got a call from Pittsburgh literally the day before she started at another school halfway across the country.
When I first finished the MCAT I was so exhausted I told myself I would never take that again. If I have to reapply, I'd definitely take a whole year to retake the MCAT and bump some ECs before sending in apps again.
Just from what I've seen (not on SDN) with my friends and people I know through school - this cycle has been very competitive. I know a lot of ppl with great stats and ECs not even get one interview.
yeah I fully agree. stats are ratcheting upwards on both md and do ends more rapidly than ever before.

edit: for those who applied only md this cycle, would you have preferred to have applied do as well? just wondering

Last edited:
Waitlisted at:
Albert Einstein (interviewed nov 23)
Morehouse (interviewed dec 4)
West Virginia (interviewed mid January)
Case western (interviewed early February)
Buffalo (interviewed April 6)

Dude! That is awesome. I think that you will definitely hear back positively from at least one school post April-30th. Those are all very, very good schools. Which is your top choice? I kind of regret not applying to case western actually... it seems like an awesome place. I just went to the doc for a recent medical concern and after a bunch of bozos who couldn't fix my problem, a doc from case western FINALLY had the guts to think about the problem in a different way. Good training there, wow.

I'd like to emphasize that simply gaining experience in ANY job is invaluable. In the current economic climate, getting a full-time job is an achievement, regardless if it is a "desk job." I graduated a few years ago, and my first job was at a biotech company where many of the experiments included PCR. I think at my undergrad we did PCR maybe once...twice? All while having our hands held with the lab TA. Having a full-time job is more difficult in some ways compared to being a full-time student, and simply gaining professional experience has been so worth holding off applying to medical school.

Also- getting an MPH or MBA without previous job experience is pretty useless, since you don't know the field at all. Classroom learning cannot measure up to what you learn based on experience.

thanks for making this thread

currently waitlisted at UCF, Wright State, and California Northstate

hopefully we all will get good news soon!

I remember being told that GU will review a pool of 80 applicants post interview each time they have adcom meetings. Of those 80 applicants, they reject 20, waitlist 40, and accept 20.

Fellow GU waitlister here. lol
Do you have an acceptance? Any other waitlists?

Do you have an acceptance? Any other waitlists?
I do have an acceptance to my state DO school, so I will be going there if I don't hear back from any of my waitlists (all are MD schools). But in addition to georgetown I'm also waitlisted at GW, UVM, TCMC, and Oakland.

Do you ever get the thing where you're happy or enjoying yourself and then you immediately feel guilty for it because you haven't gotten into med school? Maybe that's just me

LMAO. I hope you're not joking because I totally get this feeling.

this is me. I was getting my nails done today trying to take my mind off of all of this but then i felt guilty because i was like "what am i even rewarding myself for?" lool

Reactions: 1 users
this is me. I was getting my nails done today trying to take my mind off of all of this but then i felt guilty because i was like "what am i even rewarding myself for?" lool
Yep. Also, I'm not usually superstitious but I am very strongly against "tempting fate." So I don't like going to graduation celebrations or anything like that.

Glad this thread exists...I'm on the WL at JABSOM in Hawaii. Hoping for good news next week but not counting on it.

It's crazy that on every one of the school specific threads that I am wait listed at, not one person has withdrawn an acceptance. Is everyone just waiting to the very last minute? It's April 28th people hurry up and withdraw already! Lol

Reactions: 10 users
It's crazy that on every one of the school specific threads that I am wait listed at, not one person has withdrawn an acceptance. Is everyone just waiting to the very last minute? It's April 28th people hurry up and withdraw already! Lol
It's so dang frustrating, isn't it? I know a kid from my school holding 3 acceptances and 2 waitlist positions at top top schools (UCSD, UCSF, Yale, Harvard, Hopkins). When I asked why he wouldn't withdraw from those schools he knew he didn't want to go to (by then he had made his decision) he said because he just wanted to "wait and see if I get into the other two waitlist. I paid 100 bucks for the apps and I deserve to get in. Then, I will withdraw". When I asked him why he didn't withdraw those that he got into and didn't want to go to, he said "I just don't want to give up my accomplishments". For some people, this app process is their only sense of pride (and frankly, happiness). A true physician, in my opinion, is one that is selfless enough to thwart his ego and allow room for others to fly as well. Apparently, he things he can attend all the schools at once... Not a very logical or Doctorly man in my opinion, ey?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I know I'd probably feel differently if I had only wait lists and no acceptances, but am I the only one who thinks people have every right to hold onto their acceptances until the last second? =/

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

It's so dang frustrating, isn't it? I know a kid from my school holding 3 acceptances and 2 waitlist positions at top top schools (UCSD, UCLA, Princeton, Harvard, Hopkins). When I asked why he wouldn't withdraw from those schools he knew he didn't want to go to (by then he had made his decision) he said because he just wanted to "wait and see if I get into the other two waitlist. I paid 100 bucks for the apps and I deserve to get in. Then, I will withdraw". When I asked him why he didn't withdraw those that he got into and didn't want to go to, he said "I just don't want to give up my accomplishments". For some people, this app process is their only sense of pride (and frankly, happiness). A true physician, in my opinion, is one that is selfless enough to thwart his ego and allow room for others to fly as well. Apparently, he things he can attend all the schools at once... Not a very logical or Doctorly man in my opinion, ey?
It brings out the absolute worst qualities in people. I've seen many people like me, who have gone from being happy, gregarious people to angry, depressed shut-ins. Likewise, I've seen people with multiple acceptances become drunk with power and prestige, turning it into a game of how many they can get, humble bragging on Facebook, etc. It's just simply the worst.

Reactions: 6 users
I know I'd probably feel differently if I had only wait lists and no acceptances, but am I the only one who thinks people have every right to hold onto their acceptances until the last second? =/

Nobody is still making up their mind at this point.

I don't think this is necessarily a fair statement. Some people might be waiting for scholarship/financial aid to make their decisions.

Reactions: 3 users
I know some people who are. And even if they're not, whatever the reason is, they earned those acceptances and I think they have the right to hold onto them. And plus, it's not like every time someone withdraws an acceptance, someone on the wait list gets offered their spot immediately.
Not trying to be inflammatory, I've just seen a lot of nasty posts about people who haven't given up their acceptances yet and while I understand why that makes people angry, it's getting on my nerves a little bit.

Unless your waiting for an award package I dont see the point of holding on to an acceptance to the very last minute if a decision has been made. Just withdraw! Why is this a right?

If somebody is waiting on financial aid that's a different story, although I don't know why a school would possibly wait until the day before decisions are due to tell someone what their financial aid is. That would be absurd. Every single person I know who has multiple acceptances (10+ people) have known where they are going for at least a month now. I guess I just don't understand why one would wait this long. It's not immoral or unethical, and they are free to do whatever they want, but I really don't think people are deliberating until the last second.

These people earned their acceptances and can do whatever they choose with them. I know plenty of people with multiple acceptances who are still figuring out where to go.

It's so dang frustrating, isn't it? I know a kid from my school holding 3 acceptances and 2 waitlist positions at top top schools (UCSD, UCSF, Princeton, Harvard, Hopkins). When I asked why he wouldn't withdraw from those schools he knew he didn't want to go to (by then he had made his decision) he said because he just wanted to "wait and see if I get into the other two waitlist. I paid 100 bucks for the apps and I deserve to get in. Then, I will withdraw". When I asked him why he didn't withdraw those that he got into and didn't want to go to, he said "I just don't want to give up my accomplishments". For some people, this app process is their only sense of pride (and frankly, happiness). A true physician, in my opinion, is one that is selfless enough to thwart his ego and allow room for others to fly as well. Apparently, he things he can attend all the schools at once... Not a very logical or Doctorly man in my opinion, ey?

Did you actually just say Princeton? Do you mean this kid got into Princeton undergrad?