#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm waitlisted for the third year in a row
1 waitlist in my first cycle, 3 in my second cycle, and 6 this cycle
Getting kinda worried here o.o
I know my interview skills aren't the best but I don't think they're bad at this point

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't write it down, but if you look at the AAMC stats "by age" you'll see which schools tend to accept the greatest # of students in your age bracket. Mine was 30-39. Another thing you might consider is adding not only DO schools but also the top 3 Caribbean schools (the ones that have US accreditation) and Atlantic Bridge Program (Ireland). Possibly also Australia--but I didn't research those cuz it's too far for me. I have some old less-than-ideal grades (over 10 years old), but an admissions director I heard give a talk said: if you have even a few C's on your record (no matter the reason or amount of time passed), you'll find it next to impossible to get into a US MD program, so you'll need to cast a wider net, especially if it's your third cycle or more. I hadn't realized that some ancient grades still tarnished my record to such an extent. But I did what he said and voila! now I'm into a great MD program in Ireland and on the WL for an IS school that I'll likely never get off of.
After this rollercoaster of a process, I'm not that bothered that I have to move across an ocean. I'll make it work. I'll be frugal. It'll be a fantastic adventure. I'm just glad this process is over and I'm going to be a doctor! So you have to ask yourself, how far are you willing to go to get off this ride and start getting your degree? What could you work with and what is a deal-breaker.. I hope that helps! I wish you all the luck in the world :luck:

EDIT: I should mention that the prehealth advisor from my old undergrad had the best of intentions and was very nice and supportive but played absolutely no part in helping me figure out what needed to be done to get in. He didn't even know about the ABP
There were an insufficient number of applicants from Ireland to the NRMP match for an assessment of success for return as a resident: http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

None of the Caribbean (or other international) schools have LCME accreditation.

There were an insufficient number of applicants from Ireland to the NRMP match for an assessment of success for return as a resident: http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

None of the Caribbean (or other international) schools have LCME accreditation.
Yeah it wasn't accreditation. There was some other intensive process of requirements AUC had to pass to earn status as a school that can get US Fed loans--or something like that. Their accreditation has been deemed comparable to LCME by the NCFMEA. I remember it from an information session, but didn't look into it further because I didn't end up needing to apply there. What are known as the "big 3" are Ross, AUC and St. George's.
For the atlantic bridge program (and any program), you have to individually research each school, get residency match lists, etc. For example, RCSI's US match rate in the past 4 years is >85%. I'm hearing from students there that the 2017 North American match was 100% (except one Canadian student didn't get matched in Canada but did get matched to a US program) including EM, Derm and Ortho. They have linkages with US medical programs and send you to do clerkships and research in North America in the summers and 4th year. Also, it's important to investigate what each school does to help if, worst case, you don't match.
There are pros and cons to every program. It's something every applicant has to figure out when considering international programs. Bottom line: If you're someone who has applied to US MD programs 10 times without success, it might be time to consider adding DO and international programs to your application. If you're a self-directed motivated student, you'll do great anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it wasn't accreditation. There was some other intensive process of requirements AUC had to pass to earn status as a school that can get US Fed loans--or something like that. Their accreditation has been deemed comparable to LCME by the NCFMEA. I remember it from an information session, but didn't look into it further because I didn't end up needing to apply there. What are known as the "big 3" are Ross, AUC and St. George's.
For the atlantic bridge program (and any program), you have to individually research each school, get residency match lists, etc. For example, RCSI's US match rate in the past 4 years is >85%. I'm hearing from students there that the 2017 North American match was 100% (except one Canadian student didn't get matched in Canada but did get matched to a US program) including EM, Derm and Ortho. They have linkages with US medical programs and send you to do clerkships and research in North America in the summers and 4th year. Also, it's important to investigate what each school does to help if, worst case, you don't match.
There are pros and cons to every program. It's something every applicant has to figure out when considering international programs. Bottom line: If you're someone who has applied to US MD programs 10 times without success, it might be time to consider adding DO and international programs to your application. If you're a self-directed motivated student, you'll do great anywhere.
I agree that offshore schools should be a (very) last alternative.
NCFMEA is not seen as comparable to either the LCME or AOA by Program Directors, the consumers of medical school graduates. Most of them have never heard of it.

I agree that offshore schools should be a (very) last alternative.
NCFMEA is not seen as comparable to either the LCME or AOA by Program Directors, the consumers of medical school graduates. Most of them have never heard of it.
The NCFMEA is part of the US Dept of Ed. AUC is accredited by the country of St. Maarten (ACCM).

EDIT: I should add that not everyone has the luxury of a choice or the ability to keep reapplying and reapplying.

The NCFMEA is part of the US Dept of Ed. AUC is accredited by the country of St. Maarten (ACCM).
Unfortunately, the standards of the LCME are not required or enforced by the NCFMEA.

Last edited by a moderator:
GUYS GUYS GUYS I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!
I AM GOING TO BE A MD!!!!!!

OMG it's such a long story that came a full circle!!
I got the call last week from the only waitlist I was on. This school gave me my very first medical school interview ever back in September 2015. I got waitlisted and cried about it all over this thread, and did not end up getting off the waitlist UNTIL LAST WEEK! The same school interviewed me again this cycle and put me on the waitlist again. I seriously thought I had no chance so I ended up matriculating at a DO school. I didn't even bother to call them to ask about my position on the waitlist, which they invited everyone to do, since I figured I had no chance this late in the game. THEN MAGIC HAPPENED AND I GOT THAT CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM ACCEPTED!!!!! Now I just have to pack all of my stuff, say goodbye to my new (and amazing!) friends at the DO school and move across the country to start orientation! I can't believe it! I actually did it!!!!

PS - I changed my avatar from the pokemon/birdie/banana creature to a phoenix since since I figured it's now more appropriate ;).

Reactions: 18 users

I got the call last week from the only waitlist I was on. This school gave me my very first medical school interview ever back in September 2015. I got waitlisted and cried about it all over this thread, and did not end up getting off the waitlist UNTIL LAST WEEK! The same school interviewed me again this cycle and put me on the waitlist again. I seriously thought I had no chance so I ended up matriculating at a DO school. I didn't even bother to call them to ask about my position on the waitlist, which they invited everyone to do, since I figured I had no chance this late in the game. THEN MAGIC HAPPENED AND I GOT THAT CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM ACCEPTED!!!!! Now I just have to pack all of my stuff, say goodbye to my new (and amazing!) friends at the DO school and move across the country to start orientation! I can't believe it! I actually did it!!!!

PS - I changed my avatar from the pokemon/birdie/banana creature to a phoenix since since I figured it's now more appropriate ;).
Wow what a story! I'm so happy for you, congrats!!! Will the DO school refund your tuition? :p

So freaking happy for you! CONGRATS! :highfive:

Wow what a story! I'm so happy for you, congrats!!! Will the DO school refund your tuition? :p
THANK YOU!!! Haha they won't be refunding me my excruciatingly expensive international tuition. Whatever I'll let them keep it since I'm so freaking happy :happy:
So freaking happy for you! CONGRATS! :highfive:
THANK YOU!!! I am so excited!

Reactions: 1 users

That's so incredible. Congratulations!

THANK YOU!!! Haha they won't be refunding me my excruciatingly expensive international tuition. Whatever I'll let them keep it since I'm so freaking happy :happy:

International tuition? Where were you going?

Congrats to your new acceptance

Edit: i see that you're Canadian and were going to MSU COM. So did you get into a Canadian MD school?

Last edited:

What a story! Whew! CONGRATS!!! So happy for you

Congratulations, I can imagine how happy you are

International tuition? Where were you going?

Congrats to your new acceptance

Edit: i see that you're Canadian and were going to MSU COM. So did you get into a Canadian MD school?

As another Canadian here, I can chime in and say that Canadian schools are extremely difficult to get into. There are only 17 medical schools in Canada and most people are only eligible to apply to 3-4 due to province restrictions and other weird cutoffs (like requiring a 11/129 verbal/CARS score or a 3.9 GPA). In some cases it would be easier to get into a top 10 American school than a Canadian school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

HOLY COW! I'm so happy for you! You'll never know what will happen! XD Hope you're enjoying med school!

I'm so happy every time this thread is revived.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This thread is the ultimate "you CAN do it" inspiration thread for future wait-listed applicants.
Hopefully this thread will live at least as long as Jalby's worst committee thread lived!

This thread is the ultimate "you CAN do it" inspiration thread for future wait-listed applicants.
Hopefully this thread will live at least as long as Jalby's worst committee thread lived!
Whenever medical school is particularly bad I like to read parts of this thread to remind myself of why I'm here and what it took.

Reactions: 4 users