Waiving copays for md errors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When md sends in new script saying other script was a mistake, but the pt already picked it up and paid let's say $50 copay... and the pt says they cant afford another $50 copay for the new rx sent in... do you help the pt out and waive copay for them even though the md made the mistake not you?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a bad precedent to set, imo. I will call insurance in that situation and try to get an override, call the prescriber and see if they will change the script to something else to get a successful claim/do what I can to help someone etc, but I am not eating the copay cost due to a prescriber's error. The patient needs to take that up with the prescriber's office and realize that it isnt on the pharmacy to make that right.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think the doctor's office would waive the patient's copay due to a pharmacist error?

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re in a multi billion dollar chain pharmacy, waive it. If you’re at an independent, bill the physician for it.

Pharmacy should not be catering to MD errors; it gives the wrong impression. #Accountability
I see this crap all the time with diabetes test supplies (verio vs one touch ultra usually, no way of knowing which meter patient has unless using a forced note only to have MD send in the right Rx)

Reactions: 1 users
What is the store policy? This seems like an md sent another drug. Best thing is to help the patient as much as possible but I do not think the pharmacy itself should foot the bill. If it’s hydrochlothiazide or something cheap then yeah wave it.

One time, long time ago, I was chewed out by DM for not waiving copay when MD made a mistake. She said it was a professional courtesy. However, that DM was old school and reimbursements were a lot better back then. These days companies are penny pinching and there is no such thing as customer acquisition cost or customer retention in pharmacy anymore.

When md sends in new script saying other script was a mistake, but the pt already picked it up and paid let's say $50 copay... and the pt says they cant afford another $50 copay for the new rx sent in... do you help the pt out and waive copay for them even though the md made the mistake not you?

No - I have advised them to seek restitution from the clinic.

I remind them the the medications are considered “merchandise” and it is not mine to give away.

Why would anyone? I consider anyone who does this lost because they are no longer in the business of making money, you are in the business of making people happy and eventually going out of business. Had this happen recently told them to take it up with their md.

If you’re in a multi billion dollar chain pharmacy, waive it. If you’re at an independent, bill the physician for it.

No and we had this happen recently. Patient's doctor sent in a RX for escitalopram for a teen patient. Patient's dad picked it up and paid for it and had no idea what he was even paying for. He called 3 days later wanting to return it and get a refund of the $15 copay. Our staff said no and to take it up with the prescriber. Turns out that the doctor and patient both agreed to try it for 3 months and the dad was not even at the appointment.

Reactions: 1 user
"You did it for me last time"

Try to avoid such whining

You do realize you risk losing a really good customer. If the patient is diabetic or has multiple medical conditions and they are giving your pharmacy 10-20K a year in gross sales and you are willing to risk losing that for $50.00? It's a case by case basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to imagine a scenario where I would do this and am drawing a complete blank.

If it was a family member that I liked I may consider giving them a gift card.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You do realize you risk losing a really good customer. If the patient is diabetic or has multiple medical conditions and they are giving your pharmacy 10-20K a year in gross sales and you are willing to risk losing that for $50.00? It's a case by case basis.

If all it takes is $50 to lose a customer, you already have lost them. Especially a customer with multiple meds. Where has the counseling been, the opportunity to build rapport? Good business people also know how to keep business without comping. This opens the door for giving refunds for any reason which is why, in part, pharmacy is such bad shape. Like free bp checks. Why buy a cuff when you can walk in and get it done for FREE by someone else. In short, it is plum dumb

If all it takes is $50 to lose a customer, you already have lost them. Especially a customer with multiple meds. Where has the counseling been, the opportunity to build rapport? Good business people also know how to keep business without comping. This opens the door for giving refunds for any reason which is why, in part, pharmacy is such bad shape. Like free bp checks. Why buy a cuff when you can walk in and get it done for FREE by someone else. In short, it is plum dumb
How long have you been a pharmacist, 14 minutes? You have no clue of the history of the profession.

That happened to me once; I called his office and asked for his credit card number so I could bill him for it. They were pissed, but I couldn't believe they told the patient to come to me and the "pharmacy will fix it."

• Love
Are we actually suggesting the "building relationships" excuse when you will never talk to any prescriber unless it's about a complaint.

Out of 1,000 pts 1,001 pick the least inconvenient option (closest to their home)

The only times where I refused were when I was ordered to do so for certain plans who didn't tolerate copay waivers (the Blue Cross plan that starts with a W was the notorious example) and found some way around it like the gift card. Like I care about spending other stockholders' money was the attitude as a chain pharmacist. If I were front-line Walgreens now, I'd especially have no issue spending KKR money.

Reactions: 1 user
The only times where I refused were when I was ordered to do so for certain plans who didn't tolerate copay waivers (the Blue Cross plan that starts with a W was the notorious example) and found some way around it like the gift card. Like I care about spending other stockholders' money was the attitude as a chain pharmacist. If I were front-line Walgreens now, I'd especially have no issue spending KKR money.
I agree.Why get bitched at by a patient when my DM will likely tell you to refund the moneyYou may be right but so what?

How long have you been a pharmacist, 14 minutes? You have no clue of the history of the profession.

Longer than you can imagine. The history of pharmacy is the problem and I don't go into work to pay homage to history.

• Haha
If they complain the corporate, they will tell you to refund the customer anyways.

I used to argue with them all the time. But after practicing pharmacy all these years, I have understood the way game is played. If it’s not an astronomical amount, you refund the customer. Tell them you aren’t required to do so, but you would do this one time as a courtesy. If it’s an astronomical amount, then tell them you would reach out to your supervisor and let them make the decision. Then you let your sup decide.

Above poster is correct. It’s not worth loosing the customer who fills 10 rxs a month and buys lot of other stuff from the store. Your job depends on your script count/ sales/ profit. Unfortunately, lots of pharmacists lack this simple business acumen.

Longer than you can imagine. The history of pharmacy is the problem and I don't go into work to pay homage to history.
If you don't understand the evolution of you got somewhere, you will never get out of it.....

And longer than you can imagine is not answer....

If someone should pay, it's the doctor's office. I would never waive that copay, and I'm a pushover at times.