Walgreens pharmacist break finally rolling out this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted in April of 2019 that I had found out from my store manager that Walgreens was moving in the direction of planning a 30 minute pharmacist lunch break . Since then I never heard anything else about this break again until today . Apparently as of 6/25/20 and throughout the rest of the summer , the company is finally rolling this out and making it official . Every pharmacist will be entitled to a 30 minute meal break per company guidelines . Select pharmacies will remain open while the pharmacist takes his or her break in the break room . Technicians and other pharmacy staff may conduct only certain pharmacy duties such as selling prescriptions in ready status or accepting dropped off scripts . For the most part, from what I’ve gathered reading , the break is uninterrupted UNLESS in the event of an emergency or a CAP block . Any time the pharmacist does get interrupted he can make up for the lost time /interruption . Phone calls from prescribers and other parties will be directed to the technician or sent to voice mail . Same with consultations - the patient can either wait for the pharmacist to return from the designated meal or schedule a call back . Breaks will be scheduled from 1:30-2 pm . The company is also revamping their technology and coming up with signage that informs the public about the new hours , including the pharmacist break times , so as to alert prescribers etc about these new changes . Attached you guys will find some key points . Opinions ? What do you all think ?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 5D2DA28C-3783-487B-ABD1-ADC81D531581.jpeg
    5D2DA28C-3783-487B-ABD1-ADC81D531581.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 263
  • B71FB468-26B0-420E-BE3C-857D54FEADC6.jpeg
    B71FB468-26B0-420E-BE3C-857D54FEADC6.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 9085E650-17C0-4A06-ABD9-13CE60906743.jpeg
    9085E650-17C0-4A06-ABD9-13CE60906743.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 253
  • CF30DA63-2F91-4D22-89CF-6AA5988E9209.jpeg
    CF30DA63-2F91-4D22-89CF-6AA5988E9209.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 209
I fear for the souls of the technicians working in the stores that stay open while the pharmacist is on break.

I was the manager in an extremely slow pilot store for that setup, I had an amazing technician who everyone at my store knew and loved, and those animals still tore into him every god damn day while I was on break. It got to the point where the SM/ASM had to stay nearby because my technician was getting threatened over not being able to sell mandatory consult scripts, mixing reconstitutes, and for giving 30 to 45 minute wait times.

Reactions: 1 user
In California the pharmacy stays opens at CVS but the pharmacist leaves as is permitted by statute. Why don't they just close? Pharmacy's still open at least 10 hours a day on weekdays.

But who cares about some **** uneducated customers. We have illiterates who can't read signs and scratch their nuts while staring at the gate being down during lunch (Wags closes in my area IIRC, same as Walmart). Who cares about this trash

Members don't see this ad :)
In California the pharmacy stays opens at CVS but the pharmacist leaves as is permitted by statute. Why don't they just close? Pharmacy's still open at least 10 hours a day on weekdays.

But who cares about some **** uneducated customers. We have illiterates who can't read signs and scratch their nuts while staring at the gate being down during lunch (Wags closes in my area IIRC, same as Walmart). Who cares about this trash
Anyone else have any feedback and/or opinions ? I’m surprised that out of the many pharmacists working for Walgreens , hardly anyone has expressed any opinions about this new chain wide policy .

Didn't you know? This forum is for complaining about COVID now.

Anyways I'm pretty indifferent, i took a lunch everyday so it doesn't change anything.

All it's going to do is create a mess for stores that can't keep up. So many F1 and F4s.

Plus the complaining customers even though we're putting buckslips on every bag.

Anyone else have any feedback and/or opinions ? I’m surprised that out of the many pharmacists working for Walgreens , hardly anyone has expressed any opinions about this new chain wide policy .
It's going to go poorly for a lot of stores, the current SOPs on it say front end employees (mostly the Store Manager) are to come back to the pharmacy and help clean up 15 minutes before break and stay nearby during break to help put out any fires. I know at my store there is no way my front end will lift a finger to help (lazy ****s never put away our ABC order when it was mandatory, never did Code Green, never help with bin rec, ect ect) which is going to lead to my staff RPH drowning on the daily as she already is a work flow train wreck.

I'm unsure what they want us to do with the PM shift on the days we have overlap because it says 130 to 2pm is the dedicated break and that the PM RPH should take their lunch during overlap, but overlap is only an hour so they just come in for 30 minutes and then disappear for 30 more before working their shift?

I was hoping my pharmacy would close during my break so I could nap or workout for a little, but no such luck.

RIP evening shift, no breaks for you, and you get to clean up after the morning shift where every shift the am rph has had 30 min less to clean up for you. Oh well. :/

Walgreens is trying to get ahead of the curve to avoid shutting down for lunch breaks. In ohio, the pharmacist must be "in charge" of the department at all times. This statutorily (at least in Ohio) has been interpreted by the board of pharmacy as "in the store". Walgreens doesn't want to shut down the pharmacy for 30 minutes so the pharmacist can have an uninterrupted lunch break and be able to leave the store. If the pharmacist is allowed to leave the store, Walgreens would have to close the pharmacy during that period, because no pharmacist is "in charge" of the pharmacy. I am talking about situations, of course, where only 1 pharmacist is on duty. Obviously, when 2 pharmacists are on duty, they just rotate lunches, and the pharmacy doesn't close.

Walgreens is trying to get ahead of the curve to avoid shutting down for lunch breaks. In ohio, the pharmacist must be "in charge" of the department at all times. This statutorily (at least in Ohio) has been interpreted by the board of pharmacy as "in the store". Walgreens doesn't want to shut down the pharmacy for 30 minutes so the pharmacist can have an uninterrupted lunch break and be able to leave the store. If the pharmacist is allowed to leave the store, Walgreens would have to close the pharmacy during that period, because no pharmacist is "in charge" of the pharmacy. I am talking about situations, of course, where only 1 pharmacist is on duty. Obviously, when 2 pharmacists are on duty, they just rotate lunches, and the pharmacy doesn't close.

Not sure what you're getting at here.

Depending on the state determines if the pharmacy gets to close otherwise it will stay open and the pharmacist will just chill in the back for lunch.

It appears that most pharmacies will be actually closing but I'd have to relook at the complete list. Obviously Walgreens would prefer to stay open.

RIP evening shift, no breaks for you, and you get to clean up after the morning shift where every shift the am rph has had 30 min less to clean up for you. Oh well. :/

The question will be how big of balls does the pharmacist have to make sure up front does their part to make sure the pharmacy is in good shape before closing.

If they don't make sure up front helps, yep those bad stores are going to be even worse.

I just love how the general public doesn't understand why a human being should be allowed to have a break...this is 2020 not the industrial revolution. I am curious how these same people feel about literally every other profession having a standard break

Reactions: 3 users
The question will be how big of balls does the pharmacist have to make sure up front does their part to make sure the pharmacy is in good shape before closing.

If they don't make sure up front helps, yep those bad stores are going to be even worse.
Does the pharmacy have to close?I took lunch in the break room(storage room) and the techs did what they could.If you leave then I assume you would have to close the pharmacy.

Does the pharmacy have to close?I took lunch in the break room(storage room) and the techs did what they could.If you leave then I assume you would have to close the pharmacy.
It probably depends if this is paid or not. I asked and didn't get confirmation.

I assume though your DM will want you to close if your state requires it. Especially since we are putting buckslips on bags.

Members don't see this ad :)
It probably depends if this is paid or not. I asked and didn't get confirmation.

I assume though your DM will want you to close if your state requires it. Especially since we are putting buckslips on bags.
If they want you to stay in the building then I assume the pharmacy could remain open.

If they want you to stay in the building then I assume the pharmacy could remain open.

I still don't think I'm following you. If they want you to stay in the building then you are an open pharmacy for lunch. If you want to work, go right ahead. You can leave it it's closed for lunch.

If you are a closed pharmacy, I highly recommend you take advantage of the 30 minute break. Your body will thank you later on in your career. Don't even ask if you can just stay open.

It's a huge reason I'm still going strong.

Last edited:
I still don't think I'm following you. If they want you to stay in the building then you are an open pharmacy for lunch. If you want to work, go right ahead. You can leave it it's closed for lunch.

If you are a closed pharmacy, I highly recommend you take advantage of the 30 minute break. Your body will thank you later on in your career. Don't even ask if you can just stay open.

You are acting like the pharmacist gets to determine whether or not he is allowed to leave the building to get food on the lunch break. Walgreens will mandate people stay in the building during the break (at least in Ohio). Then, they can keep all the stores open because the pharmacist is still "in charge."

Each pharmacist should have an uninterrupted, 30 minute lunch break, and be allowed to leave the facility to get food, during each 8 hour or more shift that he/she works. That is my position. I have taken it up with the Ohio board of pharmacy; if I am not satisfied with their response or inaction, I will go to the Ohio legislature.

At the end of the day, this is about WAG trying to find different ways to shave RPh budget.
From an employee stand point, I’m ok with it, since it’ll guarantee me a meal, even during those crazy flu-shot seasons
What I’m afraid of is stupid pharmacists working during their break, just for sake of catching up

PS I’m sure CVS will follow suit with this shortly

Reactions: 1 user
You are acting like the pharmacist gets to determine whether or not he is allowed to leave the building to get food on the lunch break. Walgreens will mandate people stay in the building during the break (at least in Ohio). Then, they can keep all the stores open because the pharmacist is still "in charge."
Ohio is closed for lunch so the pharmacist can leave. This isn't my opinion, I'm literally looking at the closed states paper right now.

Pretty much all of the Midwest is closed.

Go on twitter and look at all the general public *****s who complain about the pharmacist taking a lunch break lmao good luck you guys

Reactions: 1 users
I still don't think I'm following you. If they want you to stay in the building then you are an open pharmacy for lunch. You can leave it it's closed for lunch.

Ohio is closed for lunch so the pharmacist can leave. This isn't my opinion, I'm literally looking at the closed states paper right now.

Pretty much all of the Midwest is closed.
Closed meaning like at Wal Mart where they shut the gate and can not take RXs or sell Rxs and everyone must leave the pharmacy? Then the pharmacist could go to Subway?That would piss customers off or does it mean like the pharmacist goes to eat in the break room and the techs can take new rxs and sell rxs.This is similar to a elongated restroom break.

Closed meaning like at Wal Mart where they shut the gate and can not take RXs or sell Rxs and everyone must leave the pharmacy? Then the pharmacist could go to Subway?That would piss customers off or does it mean like the pharmacist goes to eat in the break room and the techs can take new rxs and sell rxs.This is similar to a elongated restroom break.

You may leave, gate will be shut.

Not all states will be like this though. Talk to your rxm for more details.

Or tell your sdn rxm (me) and I'll look.

Many people here says we should be able to leave the facility for lunch - but why not just prepare you own lunches? Or ever heard of delivery service? I don’t want to waste any minute of my 30 min break driving to a restaurant and standing in line for some food.

You may leave, gate will be shut.

Not all states will be like this though. Talk to your rxm for more details.

Or tell your sdn rxm (me) and I'll look.

This thread has given me a lot of insight into why my store is always a mess when I take PTO. This information has been on compass for like 10 days, this thread for 3 days, and you've answered the same question 4 times without the RPH in question having the reading comprehension to learn anything.

To answer your question about pharmacists having balls my entire district has essentially be neutered. Our DMs have sided with the SMs and didn't enforce code green, store managers putting away orders, ASMs doing Bin Rec, or any other FE helping pharmacy initiative of the past 4 years since the worthless HCS position took the place of the pharmacist district manager. So short of us going to HR or our DPR and up....I pretty much assume we are all screwed on the FE helping out front.

• Wow
If this lunch break is unpaid by the company, you better be damn sure to lower the gates, put the sign up, and leave the building if you feel like it. This technician ringing out while you are in the back can only lead to trouble.

I am curious how much payroll they will save from this initiative.

If this lunch break is unpaid by the company, you better be damn sure to lower the gates, put the sign up, and leave the building if you feel like it. This technician ringing out while you are in the back can only lead to trouble.

I am curious how much payroll they will save from this initiative.
it is paid

This thread has given me a lot of insight into why my store is always a mess when I take PTO. This information has been on compass for like 10 days, this thread for 3 days, and you've answered the same question 4 times without the RPH in question having the reading comprehension to learn anything.

To answer your question about pharmacists having balls my entire district has essentially be neutered. Our DMs have sided with the SMs and didn't enforce code green, store managers putting away orders, ASMs doing Bin Rec, or any other FE helping pharmacy initiative of the past 4 years since the worthless HCS position took the place of the pharmacist district manager. So short of us going to HR or our DPR and up....I pretty much assume we are all screwed on the FE helping out front.

You have to put your foot down at some point. Show the SM the code green SOP and let them know you are one store and it is a requirement.

I find it very odd the DM doesn't side with you especially since part of their bonus is connected to the pharmacy. Code green really got pushed when it came out.

i guess i've worked in cali too long, originally nebraska...

but like how is a 30 min lunch break not a federal law?

u guys should see the class actioin law suits we've been a part of here in cali. teeheee.

u know what u guys. in california, we get.....get this....a half hour lunch....and...omg

2 15 minutes breaks!!!!!! TWO!!!!!! and EVERYone takes all breaks. EVERYONE!

i guess i've worked in cali too long, originally nebraska...

but like how is a 30 min lunch break not a federal law?

u guys should see the class actioin law suits we've been a part of here in cali. teeheee.

u know what u guys. in california, we get.....get this....a half hour lunch....and...omg

2 15 minutes breaks!!!!!! TWO!!!!!! and EVERYone takes all breaks. EVERYONE!
Does this happen at cvs too????