Walgreens techs.. please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

motionlw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So im starting as a RX cashier and not yet able to do anything else until i am solid with just ringing people up. The computer system is so confusing..i have questions for you...

How do you update customer's insurance? I always put in the numbers identically but its never right. (Bin, group# etc)

What is tpr and wcr?? What do i do?

If a customer wants to create a new prescription what are the steps on the computer?

How do you delete a prescription/ customer no longer wants.

Please help me out! I just started and my store is so busy that i feel extremely bad asking everyone so much questions. Any other tips you can give me please

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully, you've completed the IC+ training. Since, you're a cashier, you may not legally be able to perform functions in the pharmacy. For instance, in Texas you have to be licensed as a tech in training to do any tech duties (updating insurance, typing new rx, filling, etc). So as a cashier, you primarily would be ringing up and filing filled prescriptions in the bins. Use the work queue F2, to look everything up. There are multiple exceptions: WCB (will call back, awaiting doctor approval), TPR (third party reject, insurance won't pay for at this time either because it's too soon, requires a prior authorization, or is not covered at all), OOS (out of stock),. PFL (partial fill, didn't have enough to fill entire rx), DUR (drug utilization review, this is a pharmacist issue, but there could be drug-drug interaction or drug allergy), and MSC (miscellaneous, exception that doesn't fit into other exceptions for various reasons). Read comments on these exceptions and convey to customer to the best of your ability. You said it yourself, they want you to be quick at cashiering before you handle other things. Take it one day at a time. Also, don't take things personally when people get upset. You're the first person they'll see and comment about something that isn't ready. Just smile and agree and hope whatever it is gets resolved soon. Hopefully, you have some great Sr techs to help you. Fwiw, I'm and RXM. Hope this helps

How do you update customer's insurance? I always put n the numbers identically but its never right. (Bin, group# etc)

Ins is a game in pain wherever you work. About 25% of the time, the numbers on the care are wrong. Overtime, you will become familiar with the major ins in your area, and learn what they are looking for instead of what the card says (like the card that lists the person code as 001, but will reject if you don't put it as 01 in the computer or the ins that wants you to leave out the letters in the ID number) It's not wrong to ask questions, just that people get annoyed when the same question is asked repeatedly, so ask questions, but then write down in a notebook everything you are told, so you don't have to ask again.